Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  06:32:31 AM  Show Profile
I recently got a Vermont Country Store catalogue and it had a fave candy from my childhood. Snowballs. Some folks called theme mothballs or creme filberts. I looked online and founf some recipes to make them, basically starting with fondant. Have any of you ever made these or worked with fondant?

The candy isnt "soft" it seems set up to me, but I wonder if the fondant would get firmer as it sets.

Any good easy recipes for fondant?

Thanks!

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  08:14:20 AM  Show Profile
Robin the panning process used to make mothballs is what makes them unique. I would compare their texture to putting a nut inside a sugar cube. Fondant is not like sugar crystals and would not set enough to even make it crunchy. Fondant is what is rolled out to cover a cake to give you a smooth surface for decorating purposes. I don't know how panning could be done in our home kitchen because it is done in a huge turning drum that looks like a cement mixer. It cooks and turns on it's side with a wide opening so you can add more ingredients to add more coats a little at a time like putting gum inside a jawbreaker. I would think anything made in our home kitchens would just be a poor likeness but would not taste or feel like a real mothball.
If you come up with anything I would love to know the technique so I can make my favorite, Boston Baked Beans. They are made with the same process.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:28:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. My husband would love it if we could make Boston Baked Beans. I suppose you are right, I probably cant make them at home. I may order some from this place.

http://www.candykraftcandies.com/our_candy_selection.htm

Edited by - Roxy7 on Oct 21 2009 10:29:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:50:37 AM  Show Profile
My mailman just brought me my catalog too! I love the stuff they have in it. I have wanted an aluminum Christmas tree but just could not get myself to pay the prices on Ebay. They have on for half the price. I'm getting one now. And look they have the wreath and garland also with lights!! I see the mothballs. LOL they have Tigress now, I used to wear that in high school. Oh and look Jade East, I got my first young love kiss by a guy wearing that. I wonder if my dear husband would wear that? Well I'll spend the day reading down memory lane in this catalog! LOL

Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  11:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh share the joy! I want to see a book now can I get one online? Melody Ive always loved those little aluminum trees so cute!
Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  11:31:15 AM  Show Profile
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/Shop
A real fun place to shop and enjoy memories!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  2:04:43 PM  Show Profile
We had an aluminum tree growing up. It brings back such memories. They also have Evening in Paris perfume. My mom wore that when I was little. I am tempted to get a bottle to remind me of her. (She passed away when I was a teenager).
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  3:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh Karen you have to order one and have it delivered to your mail box. It is just not the same to look at it on line as curling up on the couch with hot coffee and turning pages. It's like savoring the MJF magazine. My mom used to wear a perfume that had little flakes of gold floating at the bottom. I wonder what that was called??

Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  05:52:47 AM  Show Profile
I have ordered my mother Coty's L'Origan from there, she wore it when she and dad were dating...and they are celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary in 2 weeks!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Snowball candy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page