Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:07:08 PM  Show Profile
I bought a new wooden cutting board today. The paper on the back said to oil it with butcher block oil before use. The lady at the store said to use olive oil, said it works just as well. I was hoping my Farmgirls could confirm or deny this. It was the last one so I got it cheap but, it's nice and I don't want to ruin it. Please help....

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I've used veggie oil, so definately olive oil fits in that category, but I will share this...I use my boards all the time and find that oiling it eventually leads to a gooey build up. Because I scrub mine after each use, & I also use a mild solution of bleach now and then to eliminate germs (this may raise some eyebrows on MJ's Farmgirl Connection) Basically, it's up to you...you may find it's great to use the oil, and then again, you may find it isn't necessary.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 20 2009 4:51:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:21:09 PM  Show Profile
They make a mineral oil just for butcher blocks. Any kitchen store, Bed/Bath and Beyond, Macy's kitchen area, probably Sears also usually carry it. It's not expensive but it will not go rancid like other oils. Olive oil will go rancid so I would not use it. And you don't have to oil it to use it first just get some to put on in a bit. You can do a on line search for butcher block mineral oil and order it also.
Hope this helps.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, would I ever have to oil it if I didn't want to? Or maybe just once only?

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer, that may turn out to be a "personal preference" decision. It may be asthetically pleasing to have the glow from the oil, but for me, since I use my cutting board every day, the oiling is an extra step I don't make the time for anymore.

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.

Edited by - MasterGardener on Oct 20 2009 4:52:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  4:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I use Bamboo oil from Lowe's. It works really well and I don't have to do it as often. I bought my small bottle a year ago and I still have lots in the bottle.It said on the bottle it was for cutting boards.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  5:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Do not use veg or olive oils , they will go rancid as stated by others. I only oil the one I use for meat, and yes I too use a bleach solution on it every so often. I have differant ones for beef, chicken & other poultry, and another one for lamb and goat. Then I have yet another for fruit and veggys. they are washed , then set in the sun to dry, then stacked with towels in between on a open shelf in my kitchen.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  6:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I've just learned so much reading all of these posts!! I've never oiled mine but I do bleach it and also have different ones for meats, veggies, fruits!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360
http://oldethymecountry.secure2cart.com/
http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  6:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Ok, well that helps. I plan on using mine mainly for breads, fruits & veges. Does cooked meat matter? I mean could I cut a cooked steak on that one as well or should any meat be separate cooked or not? Thanks for all the help!

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  6:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Keep meat seperate from the others, I would also use a differant one for bread.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  6:31:59 PM  Show Profile
I can do that. Thank-you ladies for all the helpful info. I never knew cutting boards were so complex. You learn something new everyday :)

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  7:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I have one that's plastic, I use it for chicken, scrub it with soap before I run it through the dishwasher to sanitize, and occasionally use bleach as a precaution. Then, I have one that's bamboo; for all the veggies, an old round one that Martha Stewart used to sell, use it for bread, and then another; wood, used for beef.

Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  08:09:01 AM  Show Profile
Guess I'll have to get a couple more. I've always used the pull out one from my cabinets for bread and the granite piece in my island for everything else. I've just always had to take my hot pan to the food or carry it all cut up to the hot pan dropping pieces along the way. I thought this would work well to cut on then take it to the stove. I knew not to use it for raw meats if it would be used for anything else but, I wasn't aware cooked meats were a no-no as well. I have those clorox wipes that pull up from the container & I use those on the granite after raw meats and hot soapy water after everything else. You guys have been great :)

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  08:45:55 AM  Show Profile
I rarely use plastic cutting boards, and never for raw meat or poultry. Even bleach can't always get into the itty bitty cracks and cuts. Wood boards have natural anti-bacterial properties in the tannins and actually will "self-seal" those little cracks left by cutting. I use mineral oil every once in a while (when I remember or have time LOL) to keep them "conditioned" and looking nice.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  4:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Olive oil and veg oil will go bad and spoil. You should only use mineral oil. They should carry it at good cokware stores. It will keep your cutting board from drying out and cracking or splintering

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  5:42:55 PM  Show Profile
You can also find mineral oil at Walmart, for those of us not in a major town with access to a fancy food store!

I found it quite by accident, it was in the medicinal/toiletries area but clearly labeled "food grade mineral oil".

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  7:06:28 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad you brought that up Cindy. I have that bottle I use on my cuticles and nails everyday. I have always wondered if all mineral oil is the same and just never really looked. Well today I did and low and behold they are the same exact thing and I paid much less a Wal Mart!!

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cutting board ?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page