Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Vintage Aprons Tips & Handsewing update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Vintage Aprons Tips & Handsewing update Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  1:51:14 PM  Show Profile

Hello everyone!
I am a bit new here and thought I'd write to those who may appreciate this as much as I. I just ordered a lot of calico flowered material, lace, vintage apron patterns and a hand sewing kit to make my own vintage aprons.
I'm quite excited to start my project and am watching my mailbox intently for it all to come in. Anyone have any hints or tips for apron making? This will help me in the interim while I wait oh so patiently!

For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Luke 6:38

Edited by - Cycling Farm Girl on Nov 04 2009 7:17:31 PM

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1668 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1668 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  5:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Hello Carrie, and welcome aboard all the way from Texas. You'll have alot of fun making your aprons. Are you going to hand sew or machine sew your aprons? Either way, you should wash your fabric (this will help the shrinking) before you start to sew. Then press the fabric. Pin and cut the fabric according to the directions. Now a days pattern makers make it really easy for someone who might not have made one before. Before you start to pin the pattern to fabric I would read all the direction first. I've been sewing for over 50 years and hope this will help. Good luck.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  8:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Great advice! I plan on starting out by sewing by hand. I don't have too much experience in this area, but I know I'll enjoy it. There are times when I must be creative, whether its rearranging the furniture, buying quaint storage/hat boxes to organize or digging through my art trunk for inspiration, I think hand sewing would be right up my alley!

Do you have any pictures of aprons you've created?

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  8:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Hand sewing is my passion Carrie. I am so excited to see someone else use the needle and thread. I make quilts by hand and am going to make an apron for a Christmas gift this year. I just found some vintage Santa fabric that I will be using. My tip would be to keep your stitches small. Big ones will come apart really soon. The more you practice the smaller they get. Then about every four inches take a small back stitch, then if the thread ever breaks it will only come loose to the back stitch. Gives you a smaller space to repair. We must share pictures of our finished aprons. I will be excited to see yours.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  05:55:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melody!
I wondered if in this day that others might see hand sewing as laborous and time consuming, but I think using a machine may take something from it. My big goal is to make a queen size quilt, that I've already designed and had the quilt pieces placed in order, etc. I bought the material last year but haven't had the guts to tackle it. I think an apron to practice on will be a good start. Then I'll work on the quilt.

I wonder if there are any good websites to take a look at regarding hand sewing?

Another thing I'd like to tackle is making my own dresses and skirts! I work in a professional office and I only wear dresses that are modest, but those are hard to find!!

Here are some pics of the pattern and some of the material for the aprons.

http://mynetimages.com/album/warkentinc/

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  08:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Hello Carrie --

There's a great website (blog + fabric store) that had a whole month of handsewing projects a bit ago. Here's a link: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?cat=43 There is a handsewing guide/tips for your viewing.

I sew on an old Singer (circa 1954), but also enjoy a bit of handsewing when I create little scrappy Artist Trading Cards for my sisters. I'm not one to tackle an entire quilt by hand, but I do know the pleasure and 'therapy' of handsewing.

Getting started with a simple apron is a good idea. Just start and you'll have fun!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  09:37:23 AM  Show Profile
Carrie,
My hats off to you for hand sewing. I don't know if I have the patience to do it by hand. The tips that the others made here are all worthwhile.

I often make a copy of my original pattern on to these white disposable tablecloths (cotton look) that I found at Smart N' Final. I don't know if you have a store near you, but by using another material for the pattern, it really saves the original pattern.

www.countrynmore.com

http:// www.qualityfabricsandsupplies.ecrater.com

www.countrynmore.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  5:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
Finally some more hand sewers! I made an apron as well for christmas well two! I just learned this summer how to sew on a sewing machine...i begged my mama to teach me cause i have chrtistmas projects to make out the wazoo and I was afraid with hand sewing and school work I'd be to late in getting the gift giving! :) I have hand sewen for 11 years since I was ten that is and than at 21 this summer learned the sewing machine! personally i love handsewing it adds vigor and charm along with a little bit of grace and dignity. I think it also shows love and time! :) makes gift giving so much more appreciative!

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  04:34:48 AM  Show Profile
It's true, hand sewing is so wonderful. I've started a teddy bear project while waiting for my apron pattern and I can sit in my big rocker beside my hubby and sew and chat away. My stitches are looking nicer as I go along and I'm very pleased. Thanks for your tips so far...I've been thinking about them a bit and considering what I need to be doing for the larger projects.

My husband kindly offered to buy me a sewing machine and I thanked him but said I'd like to try the hand sewing for a while first. I've been blessed with such a sweetheart!

Good for you Patricia for such an early start! Keep on with it...it's so nice to see gals going back to basics. I think it's engrained in us.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  07:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like hand sewing too! I need to hand-sew an apron I think to give me more practice with my stitches. I really like doing embroidery as well. Think that helps with hand sewing stitches. I recently just re-read the later books in the Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House books. She talks about striving to have the most even and smallest stitches possible. I am so impressed with how much the pioneers really focused on quality. It is something very special to pick up two pieces of fabric and with small, sure stitches, make it into something new.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  9:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals, if you didn't realize it but hand-sewing always brings women together. Now especially farmgirls. I have been hand sewing since I was old enough to hold a needle. ( I guess it kept me out of trouble) ho ho. But it soothes the soul with tiny repetition. You can take it with you and always find someone to talk to. It's great to find more women who do it still.

Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  07:19:50 AM  Show Profile
When you think about it, it really does! It's a little hard to cart a sewing maching to your neighbors for tea and a quilting bee!
My dilemna here is being in the city, it's hard to find friends that share this in common. Ah well...I'm happy to sit and work on projects quietly too!

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Carrie you might be surprised how many other there might be. When I was younger I took one of my hand made quilts into the local fabric shop to find a matching back for it. Two women saw it and had to come look at it. They were in awe that anyone could sew by hand and asked if I'd teach them. So I ran an ad in the local paper and put a flyer in the fabric shop to see if there might be any others who might enjoy learning and had 8 women in my first class at my home. I taught in my home for years and formed "The Friendship Quilters" so we could meet once a month at each other home's. Even though I moved 15 years ago, 24 years later the original women are still my dear friends and the group is still together though new women have joined. We had so much fun because everyone in the group had something to teach us. I learned to make a Blue Ribbon apple pie from Robin Walshaw, stunning stained glass lamps from Kandi Gaughan, weaving from Terry Flattley, just to many things to name. They also thought there was no one in our area who had the same likes but we were all so mistaken.

Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Melody-
I would like to join in your group to teach me to hand quilt. Should we meet at your house? If I start out know I could make it by Friday!! :o)
I would love for you to teach me!
Talk to you soon dear friend!!
Lori
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Ok Lori, I'll expect you by this weekend. We can have a grown up fun sewing sleep over!! LOL Just bring your favorite thimble I have plenty of everything else. Oh now I'm so excited, let me go bake up a cake.

Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  6:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Carrie: If you have a local co-op get a poster up. Cut out a picture of a woman sewing by hand (try the internet) and ask them to join you. It all starts with one or two people. The word will spread by word of mouth. If the co -op won't work, try churches. Keep trying. It will work out. Good luck.

Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  6:49:45 PM  Show Profile
Kewl...once I'm done law school in spring, I'm going to get super creative and try your suggestions listed above. Like I say, a queen size quilt is on my list and it would be great to have other gals to gab with at the same time. And doesn't time fly by so fast when your hand sewing? I just love it.

I wonder, does anyone else have suggestions to websites that I can look at with handsewing how-to's and tips? I've tried googling a few times, but I hate sifting through junk to get to the good stuff.

Edited by - Cycling Farm Girl on Oct 21 2009 6:51:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  05:54:21 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Farm Girls!
Here's a pic of the apron pattern. Very exciting!

Your feedback and reply's to my messages have got me thinking a bit and I looked into options here in my community. I've discovered a little place called "Quilter's Dream" and they are holding a Hand Quilting one day workshop on November 13th. Which will be perfect as it's my day off from school and after midterms. Only $42.00 and I may meet some gals with the same interests. What a treat! I wanted to thank you all for your encouragement. Handsewing is definitely on my brain as of late. Very exciting!

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh Carrie I am sooooo excited for you. I was so hoping that you would take a check out in your area. I just knew you would find kindred spirits!! Now have you decided which one of the aprons you're going to make?

Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:51:32 AM  Show Profile
Hehe. Thanks Melody June! My favorite is the simple one in the corner...'e'. The one in the centre, I'll try later on. It's very pretty.

Blessings!
Carrie

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  2:31:22 PM  Show Profile
I haven't asked Mary Jane yet, but I hope to get to the farmgirl fair next summer and I would be willing to show you how to hand sew for free! It is just such a wonderful skill.

Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  4:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Carrie, I like that apron pattern. Who makes it and what is the pattern number?

www.countrynmore.com
www.countrynmore2.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Cycling Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Carrie
Alberta
Canada
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  6:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon,
I'm not sure yet, I'm waiting for it to come in, but I'll post the info once it comes in.
It should be by the end of next week!

Carrie - Victorian Urban Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  6:42:17 PM  Show Profile

Thanks Carrie

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  8:33:08 PM  Show Profile
oh Carrie, I have to tell you, the 1/2 apron (E) is so easy....I have made quite a few aprons from this one (E) and each one turns out cute!
I use different fabrics for the waist/sash & ties...& I make various types of pockets. I love to embellish the aprons w/yoyos which are 'sew' easy to 'sew'...
I have never sewn of these aprons by hand. Maybe I should give it a try.
Be sure to post a pic of your final project...I know we would all love to see it.
hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  8:39:04 PM  Show Profile
Grace, who makes the apron and what is the pattern number?

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Vintage Aprons Tips & Handsewing update Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page