Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  10:26:35 AM  Show Profile
My husband is a Sheriff's deputy and is in the process of getting his first patrol job. I was thinking of making something that he could keep in his trunk to give to children-in-crisis that he comes across on his job. I had heard of this being done previously with teddy bears but was thinking that I wanted to make something healthier, like what is in Mary Jane's book. I haven't sewn in years so I'd be a little shaky at first but am eager to try. Any suggestions on what you think would bring the most comfort to a child?

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  10:52:02 AM  Show Profile
Destiny, what a sweet idea! Go to the Stitching Room and look up the Sabbathe bunnies. OUr own miss Frannie sent out patterns to thouse who wanted them. I gota a pattern and have made 3 so far. They are really cute and easy to make. Her Dolls are really cute too.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have heard of crisis victims getting hand made quilts before- People in those situations are very susceptible to shock so a blanket a great thing to have on hand. You could do cheap fleece blankets - you just buy pieces of fleece and slice about 3 inches deep on the edge (like making a fringe) and you use the fringies to tie together- viola! insta blanket! I watched my mom make 2 in about half an hour- and my mom is a perfectionist and was getting the lines on _fleece_ straight!
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  1:16:00 PM  Show Profile
What a sweet idea Destiny. I just made my first baby blanket this week. I bought two pieces of flannel at a yard each and then just sewed it up. Also I bought this already sewed quilt fabric and sewed it to another flannel piece with batting in between it. They came out real cute. My fiancé and I also thought it would be fun to sew sock monkeys and it took us only a couple hours to make them. You can buy the socks and patterns at Fleet Farm for six bucks. What a great thing you are doing, Rose

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  10:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Destiny,
I am also a Deputy Sheriff's wife!! It's a hard and sometimes scary job I know...congrats to your hubby and love to you!

I, too, have thought about making blankets or some sort of comfort item for my hubby to give away.But we have TONS of school children here who work so hard to collect stuffed animals for the deputies to give away, I felt like I was not supporting their dear little effort!But I am sure that ANYTHING you could make would be appreciated by a child in need of comfort. I go to work with my husband quite often and ride patrol with him, and kids do get very frightened and I have seen the gift of an little bear or animal take their mind off the event and give them something else to focus on.

Another idea I would like to share with you, I try and take a hot meal to the office when I can, the guys gets so tired of fast food (my hubby works graveyard) and it makes them feel someone cares! They work so hard and take so much nastiness in their job on a day to day basis!

Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  05:27:01 AM  Show Profile
Diane, the local school children don't do that here so I thought I'd do it instead. I broached the subject yesterday with hubby, I hadn't told him yet what I was planning , and he liked the idea although if I was going to make it then he wanted to see it when it was completed before he would agree. Do you think he doubts my skills?
It's nice to hear from another cops wife. Hubby's midlife crisis was to make a career change to go into law enforcement, so now he's up against much younger guys but he's doing really well. We've made alot of sacrifices for the past four years but now he's achieved what he set out for. He'll have his own car and will be bringing it home everyday, so he's really looking forward to getting that in the next week or so and he's also excited that I'll be able to ride with him too. Maybe I'll PM you sometime if that's ok, I'd like to know how you handle sitting in the car while he's doing his thing etc.

I'm still playing around with all the suggestions and some other ideas. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my question.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Suggestions needed... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page