Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  02:42:27 AM  Show Profile
I was sent a sweet postcard with the Darlington Covered Bridge on the front from our own Bridge (funnily enough) - thank you Bridge!
I have only seen these kinds of bridges in movies (most memorably in "Beetlejuice") and just wondered how many of you have these near you - also, do you know why are they covered?!

Debby

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  04:39:57 AM  Show Profile
DEBS
Watch the movie BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, good movie plus lots of pictures of the covered bridge. I have read since that the bridge in that movie has since been destroyed, very sad, because so few are left.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  09:27:20 AM  Show Profile
This is a link of some of the bridges in Indiana!!
http://www.dalejtravis.com/bridge/bridgein.htm

These bridges were "covered" to keep the wood main trusses dry thereby preventing decay and increasing the life of the bridge. Sometimes called "kissing bridges" according to the tradition that when a young couple was courting, the man was entitled to a kiss from his sweetheart as their wagon or buggy passed across the bridge. Covered bridges were often the largest covered area within a community and were therefore used for revival meetings, weddings and political rallies

Debby you can always come to Indiana and visit and we'll go on a Bridge tour, by Bridge!!!

Also Nancy is correct alot of the covered bridges are either destroyed by vandals or just not maintined and destruct due to their age and the elements. That is so sad...

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  5:03:22 PM  Show Profile
There's a beautiful covered bridge about twenty miles south of where I keep my horse, north of Princeton, Illinois. The people of the town take a great deal of pride in their grand old homes, and their local and state heritage. The bridge is well kept.

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  5:18:04 PM  Show Profile
There's an old covered bridge about 15 miles from my house in the country. The most romantic guy I ever dated used to pick me up from work at 6 or 7 p.m. He'd have a basket in the back seat and a cooler with some wine coolers (we were in college), and we'd go sit on a blanket on the bank of the creek/river the bridge spans. The lightening bugs would be flitting around over the water, with their yellow lights reflected on the water, and we'd sit on the blanket and enjoy the quiet.

Of course, we had to spray ourselves so thick with mosquito repellent that we stunk to high heaven, but I didn't care! Ahhh, those old college days . . .

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/

Edited by - happymama58 on Mar 16 2006 5:18:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  5:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
I actually dont live that far from the Bridges of Madison County...just about 40min, and visit often...they are wonderful!! (I have pictures somewhere, ill find them later)..Unfortunetly Bridgette and Nancy are right, they get destroyed. In madison county there used to be 19 bridges and now there are only 6...the Cedar bridge was destoyed due to arson in 2002, but they have since rebuilt. It was so wierd cause a friend and I visited a day or two before it was burnt. Im so thankful that i got to see it in its original state. If anyone ever gets a chance to come to Iowa around this way...i suggest going to see them, but of course, see the movie first or read the book!!
heres a link to the website...
http://www.madisoncounty.com/

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by - sugarsfarm on Mar 16 2006 5:51:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  8:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Debby -

We have quite a few covered bridges here in Oregon. One we just recently visited was near the Northern Oregon Coast in the Coast Range. Called Drift Creek Covered Bridge. It actually sat further down the creek (south) at one time and was marked for demolition, but a local businessman purchased the bridge, moved it north on the creek to his property and put it back together again for the public to enjoy. Another bridge we visited a few years ago was in Southern Oregon near the Oregon/California border in the Applegate Valley. They are a wonderful piece of Oregon history and great places to visit.

Anne in Portland.

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  08:03:21 AM  Show Profile
The Cornish-Windsor Bridge between Cornish, NH and Windsor, VT is the longest wooden covered bridge in America, and the longest of some particular kind in the world. I drove across it a few times when I was working in NH, and it was fun. My boyfriend now my husband) came up to visit me, and he was more impressed by a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda for sale just on the Cornish side. To this day, he'll point out a car and say "That's just like that one we saw near the bridge." ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Covered Bridges Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page