True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  5:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the sourdough starter recipe in the MJF book? It does not call for yeast and neither does the sourdough bread recipe. I tried to make the starter but never having done this before was not sure it went well. I really didn't see alot of bubbles and I am not really sure what the "stout beer" smell is like. I liked the recipe because it called for organic whole wheat flour but I am puzzled on how the dough will rise without yeast. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks..Margaret

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  6:25:15 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I don't really have an answer for you but I am dying to try that recipe myself. I've had my page marked now for several days meaning to get to it but have ran out of time. I'm new to sourdough bread making myself but I'm sure one of the pros here will help us both!!
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  4:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Margaret and Kristi,

I could go into a long discussion about sourdough, but check out this site for some great information www.baking911.com . Julie Beck’s husband has been making our sourdough bread and it is delicious! Half a loaf is gone in a flash. Don’t be afraid of sourdough, you will find it takes some practice and time, but if your like me, it will become your favorite. After eating sourdough all other breads seem boring.

Happy Cooking,
Julie Bell

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  4:28:35 PM  Show Profile
I agree...my kids especially love sourdough soft rolls. I add cracked wheat (soaked) corn meal and oatmeal and whatever other grains to it and still do add some yeast to make it rise more (although gluten flour would no doubt help) I havn't made "un-sourdough" bread in a month I bet!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  4:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie. This is a great site. I think my starter is going to be ok.

Kristi~thanks for your response. If you try sourdough please let me know how it goes for you. I am going to try this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  09:13:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie, I'll check out that website. I came across a website one time that said in order to get a true sourdough taste, the bread needs to be made in a La Cloche. Does Julie Beck's husband use one of these or just throw it in the regular oven? Supposedly this La Cloche is similar to cooking in a wood oven and gives the bread moist radiant heat that gives it crunch on the outside and chewy in the middle.

Mag, I will let you know. I think I'm going to try MaryJanes starter this week as well. Let me know how yours turns out!! My last attempt pretty much failed but sourdough is my favorite so I'm bound and determined not to give up!!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Question about a recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page