brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  4:07:35 PM  Show Profile
As promised in the "welcome wagon" post I am posting my recipe for "never fail pie crust" - well, it's partly mine, and partly from "Amish-Country Cookbook - Volume II" from Das Dutchman Essenhaus from Holmes County in Ohio. (Bethel Publishing)

Here's the Original recipe:

1 1/2 c. shortening 1 egg
3 c. flour 1 t. vinegar
1 t. salt 5 T. cold water

Mix together shortening, flour and salt. Beat together eggs, vinegar and water. Add last a little at a time. Makes 3 pies.

Now here's my version

1 c. butter (room temperature) 1 egg
1/2 c. lard (room temperature) 1 t. vinegar
3 c. flour 5 T. ice cold water
1 t. salt

Using pastry blender cut shortening, flour and salt together until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal (I don't know what coarse cornmeal looks like but that's what all the rest of the recipes say!!!LOL) Do NOT use food processor as this will result in too much blending. Mix liquids together and add a little at a time. Use a fork to mix but do not overmix, just enough so that crust starts to hold together. Let crust rest while you prepare pie fillings, or give the baby a bottle... this lets the liquids disperse into the crust.

Roll out just enough dough at one time to fit in the palm of your hands - about the size of a baseball. Roll out on pastry cloth dusted with flour (Don't use plastic sheet, crust will stick) when it is just large enough to cover the bottom and sides of your pie plate (turn the plate over, and cut out an inch or so around the outside) then gently bring the far side of the crust toward you, folding it in half, then in half again. Lift into pie plate and unfold (don't worry if it cracks, you can pinch the broken places together. Roll out the top crust in the same manner, just slightly smaller than the first, fill the pie, then pinch the edges together. Cut slits for steam vents.

I like to brush the top with a little milk and sprinkle some granulated sugar on it before baking.... Or sometimes I add a little sugar to the crust, and sometimes I substitute whole wheat flour or bread flour, whatever I have on hand - it is fun to experiment.

I would love to find a recipe for cherry pie filling (NOT from a can) using frozen cherries. Last summer we picked about 20 quarts of cherries and pitted and froze them but the first pie I made came out a little "juicy"... And I hate to waste the cherries, so would love a "tried and true" recipe.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  4:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the recipe...looks great!!!
I have a good recipe for cherrry pie filling from fresh cherries...I wonder if it would work with frozen??? If you want me to post it let me know..I usually can some up if I can get fresh cherries ...several relatives have cherry trees. Last year didn't get enough to can some..and this year I plan to plant two cherry trees of my own!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  5:38:59 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to see your cherry pie recipe... I don't know if it will work for frozen cherries, though. I froze some apple pies this fall too, just used my regular recipe, stuck pie plate and all (before baking) in the freezer, and they were a little "juicy" also. Does it have something to do with the freezing?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  9:23:54 PM  Show Profile
I would guess it does. My mom always freezes cherry and berry pies with bad results..but then she isn't known for her baking...don't tell her I said that though!
Mine is a recipe for canning cherry pie filling...will that still help?

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  06:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh I want it Jenny. We LOVE cherry pies and I haven't made one in so long!!

Go to Top of Page

dgarnera
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Debra
Pine Grove CA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  08:28:37 AM  Show Profile
I canned cherries last year and what I do is make the pie filling on the stove adding a bit of cornstarch to the liquid- you could use arrowroot instead of the cs. once the cherries are thickened to right consistency pour into the pie shell- this produces the best cherry pies. I do all of my fruit fillings this way- it makes easier canning- just can the fruit in water- or freeze and then I can use honey rather than sugar in the filling- because I am right there to test for sweetness..
hope this helps.
blessings,debra

Joyful momma of 5 plus 1 in the oven..
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  4:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Debra! Thanks so much for posting that - I have lots of honey because we let a beekeeper put his extra hives in our field last year - his business is moving his hives from orchard to orchard. He gave us 2 gallons of honey which is more than I am used to using in a year. I didn't think about using honey in a cherry pie, but I've been scouring all my cookbooks looking for honey recipes! I even made a batch of honey soap -- but now I'm going to save it for the pie!

Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

dgarnera
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Debra
Pine Grove CA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  5:44:59 PM  Show Profile
you are most welcome!! It makes for easier canning as well.. I had done apple pie filling and it was a bear to load in the jars. by canning the slices in water- it is soooo much easier.. and it doesn't take very long to cook the filling.

Joyful momma of 5 plus 1 in the oven..
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pies..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page