theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  12:43:19 PM  Show Profile
I went to a tea room recently and they served chicken salad on top a lettace leaf...It wasnt the regular chicken salad with mayo..It was more like cream cheese consistancy with larger chunks of chicken..Yogurt would be too runny..It was on the sweet side tooo~~
Anyone know of a recipe like this?
Jan

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  2:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh ..that sounds wonderful!!! I hope someone has the recipe!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  6:52:12 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, let me offer my very own chicken salad recipe. It's on the sweet side, and not mayonnaisey, although it does have mayo in it. Wonderful on a crisp, cold Boston Lettuce leaf, or a flaky croissant, if you want to be really sinful.

You'll need:

1-1/2 cups of mayonnaise (oh, don't get excited; just you wait and see)

1/4 cup milk

4 teaspoons lime juice juice (that's one or two limes, depending on size)

1/2 teaspoon ground sea salt (or the common kind, if you must)

1 teaspoon (or more, to taste, after you taste!) freshly ground cinnamon (or store-bought, but from a new jar, please)

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (we're growing this, yes girls?)

1 cup very coarsely chopped pecans

1/2 cup white seedless grapes (substitute green ones and remove seeds if it comes to that); in either case, slice them in half lengthwise before measuring; you may wish to add more, so do some extra

1-1/2 cups sliced & chopped celery

1 to 2-1/2 TABLESPOONS (a lot, in other words) fresh tarragon (more if dried)

8 cups bite-sized white-meat chicken chunks from a cooked bird*

* Or cheat by bringing a pot of water to boiling with 2 T of the tarragon -- throw in cut up raw white meat chicken chunks and turn down to simmer until chicken is just opaque and white all through -- drain. (Why not freeze the water in ice cube trays for use down the road?) Let any tarragon clinging to the chicken stay on it. Cool while you do the other stuff. (Don't refrigerate without mixing in a little of the mayo to keep the chicken supple.)

Okay, now:

In a big, BIG bowl, combine ost of the mayonnaise (you can always put in the rest at the end if you think it needs it), milk, lime juice, salt, cinnamon, and parsley. Toss with the remaining ingredients, including the 1/2 teaspoon of the tarragon left over from simmering the chicken, if you chose to cheat -- or 1 T if you're using chicken cut from a cooked bird. Add more cinnamon if you can't taste any. (And you really should, but don't go overboard -- it's a wonderfully confusing flavor that will dazzle your enemies and cause your friends to love you more for reasons they can't quite put their fingers on.) Add some more of the sliced grapes, too, if you think that would be nice. Live it up!

This is a lovely summertime entrŽe served with a nice Reisling or (limeade for the kiddies -- don't forget the sprig of mint). Put strawberries, pineapple slices and other fruits on the serving platter for a great buffet contribution when you're asked to bring something special -- it will always be nicer than the chicken salad nine other people will br bringing. Little sliced croissants make a nice side offering if the goal is finger food. Just keep it unmercifully COLD! We all know about mayo and heat, right?

Bon apetit!

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  7:48:09 PM  Show Profile
For my chicken salad I make a dressing of mayo (Kraft), Honey, lemon , and a tad of spicy mustard.
Like most of my recipes get "creative " with what ever is on hand.
Along with the chicken chunks I usually add Celery, Onion , Toasted& salted pecans,and Apples All chopped in bite size pieces. I add fresh dill and parsley if I have them. I top with fresh grated parmesian cheese and a little fresh ground pepper.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  8:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Im so excited to make your recipe Rosemary!! Just wondering how many servings it makes?

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  9:17:27 PM  Show Profile
rosemary...that sounds so good!!! I was saying yikes about the mayo until I saw the amount of chicken..then it was okay ( I am for sure not a mayo fan) sounds like a perfect dish to make for a family party...I will be trying it for sure..and as for the croissants...bring them on!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  06:08:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipes gals~~ I will definately be trying them~~
I was at another tea room and this chicken salad was served in a shortbread crust like a mini pie..she suggested (although she didnt want to share the recipe) that she used cream cheese and some sort of custard~It was very similar to the one I am trying to duplicate~~
Anyone have something like this?
Jan
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  09:07:24 AM  Show Profile
The only thing I could find in my recipes that would give it a sweeter taste is this one. It'f from my Amish Cookbook and it just uses Miracle Whip instead of mayo...

4 cups diced cooked chicken
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2 cups diced celery
1/3 cup chopped pitted olives
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup Miracle Whip

Mix all ingredients together, cover and chill until ready to serve. Serve on lettuce leaves.

I LOVE chicken salad, the above recipes look so good. I'll have to try those. Good luck in your search--if you find the one your looking for, post it here so we can all try it!!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  10:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kristi~~ You are right~~They all sound good...
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Leah, it depends on how large your servings are, of course. Since I'm of the "less is more" school when it comes to portion sizes, I would limit servings of this, if it were the entrŽe, to a cup per adult, not counting lettuce leaves, fruit trimmings and whatnot, so it could easily serve 8-10 people. If it were part of a buffet with many other things hitting the plate, of ocurse it would stretch farther.

For those of you who like that cream-cheesy consistency, you'll find that this recipe mimics that sensation, but with fewer calories per serving -- especially if you use the "light" mayo or better yet, make your own with a high-quality olive or saffower oil and nice fresh organic eggs from happy hens. (Sorry, girls, but my motto is "Get thee behind me, Miracle Whip!" Can't bear to think of putting that phoney junk anywhere near my lips., but to each, her own.) The addition of cinnamon tends to thicken up the mayo. I've had people think there was cream cheese in it, especially if I skimp just a little on the amount of mayo I use, as I suggested in the recipe.

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  7:23:15 PM  Show Profile
I don't exactly like Miracle Whip or mayo for that matter either. Only in certain things like chicken salad. I've never tried the recipe I posted but remember seeing it so I thought I would add it since Miracle Whip is sweeter than mayo. I agree, the stuff is pure store bought nastiness.

I know you can make your own mayo but I'm so scared to do it. First of all, you would have to know me personally to know how completly anal I am about my food. Veggies I'm fine with but meat and eggs freak me out. I cannot have even the slightest pink in my meat. If there is any visible fat on meat or chicken I lose my appetite and cannot eat it. All this to say that I'm scared to eat homemade mayo or even try to make it because of the raw egg issue. It freaks me out. Is it really safe?
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  09:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Virginia,

That sounds great! I love chicken salad sandwiches etc in tea rooms, Jan. It's so fun and girlie.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  10:03:52 AM  Show Profile
Debbie~~yes, I love the tea rooms and hope to have one someday..I am trying to duplicate the recipe to have a little tea party for some friends...
The tea room that it was served in the shortbread tiny pie shell....Is called "Her Majesty Tea Room" and every person who comes to lunch/tea gets to wear a real tiarra while they dine~~
Sooo fun!
Jan
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Chicken Salad Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page