Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Artisan bread in 10 minutes- anyone have the book?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Artisan bread in 10 minutes- anyone have the book? Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  4:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have this book?
I am desperately trying to get it, it will be a while from my library I think.
I have the basic boule recipe, but I am looking for the whole wheat sandwich bread recipe, if anyone wants to share?!!!
Thanks!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  03:54:01 AM  Show Profile
Brenda,
I make/sell artisan bread baked in a La Cloche. However, it is not a ten minute recipe. I make Sicilian 100% whole wheat,Natural white and Half wheat half natural white and also wheat/rye mix. These are all sourdough. I would be interested in your ten minute bread though, sounds interesting. Recently we added olive/parmasean sourdough and cranberry/pecan sourdough. So far they are selling well. We sell at our local Farmers Market. Never heard of the ten minute book.
Hope you find it, and share the quick recipe. Sometimes I find myself out of bread, and it takes at least 4 hours to make more. A quicker recipe would be worth trying.
Happy Hunting,
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Sep 29 2009 03:57:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  05:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Please check out MaryJanes Bread! It only takes 5 minutes! www.breadthemaryjaneway.com

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  10:11:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sheri!
Wow, I wish I had the gumption to sell my breads! It must keep you busy!
I got started with this, because for years I made my bread, but with a big family, all my tried and true recipes make too big a batch for just husband and I now. Also, I've always loved buying the artisan breads at the grocery but hate paying $4.00 a loaf! I can't remember where I first saw this book, but it's "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day" by: Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François. I don't know why I wrote 10 minutes! lol!
Anyways, Mother Earth News has the article and their basic recipe. It's so simple, and I love that I can make as big or small a loaf as I want, plus I can put it in a traditional bread pan if I want to for sandwich bread.
Here's the link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx
Julie- Thanks for that link, I didn't know Mary Jane had bread recipes, but I'm still pretty new here, I will definitely check it out! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  12:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,
Thank#347; for the link. I am excited to find the recipe and try it. Especially since we only make sourdough breads. A quicker bread, even just for home, would be great!
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  5:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Lynner - MaryJanes recipe is a sourdough recipe.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  6:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I've tried the no-knead artisan bread that is from the NY Times author (can't recall his name now but I believe he is the one who started this recent fad) and it is addicting to make. But after reading about MaryJane's bread and the fact that her bread does not rely on commercial yeast I won't go back to making sourdough bread the no-knead way. I just don't like the idea of adding all that yucky yeast to my body when it would be so much healthier to maintain a mother and have natural yeast that is easier on our cells.

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  6:58:47 PM  Show Profile
oh i love that book and i believe i have it around here. ill take a look and get back to you.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  07:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
i have the book, it is available through Mother Earth News and i believe on some of the sites like Amazon

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile
I have the book...
100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Makes Three 1-1/2lb loaves
1-1/2 cups lukewarm water
1-1/2 Cups lukewarm milk
1-1/2 tablespoons yeast(1/1/2 packets)
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
5 tablespoons oil
6-2/3 cups whole wheat flour
Mix and storing the dough:
Mix the yeast, salt, honey, and oil with the milk and water, in a 5 quart bowl.
Mix in remaining dry ingredients without kneading, using a spoon, food processor or stand mixer.
Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temp until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top) approx 2 to 3 hours.
The dough can be used immediately after initial rise, though it is easier to handle when cold. Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 5 days.
On baking day: lightly grease a 9x4x3 nonstick loaf pan. Using wet hands scoop out a 1-1/2 lb(cantaloupe size)handful of dough.
This dough is pretty sticky and oftern is easiest to handle with wet hands.
Keeping your hands wet, quickly shape into ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides. rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go.
Drop the loaf into prepared pan.
You want to fill the pan slightly more than half full.
Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour and 40 minutes. Flour the top of the loaf and slash, using a serrated bread knife.
Twenty minute before baking time, preheat the oven to 350 F, with an empty broiler pan on any other shelf that won't interfere with the rising bread.
If you're using a stone, the preheat can be as short as 5 minutes.
Place the loaf on a rack near the center of the oven. Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the broiler pan and quickly close the oven door. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until deeply browned and firm.
Allow to cool completely before slicing in order to cut reasonable sandwich slices.

Karen

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  5:54:07 PM  Show Profile
Fantastic book! Makes delicious, beautiful bread.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  7:45:25 PM  Show Profile
I love to bake...for me it is relaxing. But this is my fear...I really cant even make good biscuits. They arae just hockey pucks...And I have such a fear of making bread. I havent tried....Just to scared.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  8:20:18 PM  Show Profile
i havent been able to find it. sorry hun. im kinda overrun here. trying to reorganize

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Artisan bread in 10 minutes- anyone have the book? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page