Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:19:14 PM  Show Profile
There has to be a lot of gardeners here on the Farmgirl Connection, can ya'll tell me what you do with your green tomatoes? I have about 25 pounds, but I just couldn't bear to let them freeze last night so I picked 'em! My biggest, loaded Roma tomato bush I just pulled up and brought into the sunroom because they're trying to ripen, just slightly green. We have such a short growing season here in SW Colorado but I've been babying these plants all summer and this was going to be my YEAR of the Tomato. Ha! (I need a greenhouse......)

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Green fried tomatos, yum yum, pickled green tomatos, green tomato salsa

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Cherian,

I hear ya! My tomatoes did so well but didn't ripen. I picked close to 30 pounds last week before we got our first frost. I'm sorry they didn't ripen for you.

I made Piccalilli. The recipe is on my blog and calls for 15 pounds:

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/2009/09/piccalilli-made-with-love.html

I have made the following recipes using green tomatoes too and they are both really good! I'm sorry I can't remember the yields.

Green Tomato Marmalade

4 lbs green tomatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped ginger
6 cups sugar
5 lemons

1/2 cup water
Chop tomatoes, add grated rind and juice of lemons, ginger and water. Simmer 1 hour stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Add sugar. Simmer until sugar is dissolved and then boil rapidly until consistency of jam (about 25 min) pour into jars and seal.

Green Tomato Chutney

Four cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
Two-third cup chopped onion
One-quarter cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
One small garlic clove, minced
One cup packed light brown sugar
Two-third cup cider vinegar
Two Tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
One teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
One Tablespoon mustard seed
One-quarter teaspoon ground turmeric
One and one-half teaspoons grated lemon zest
One cup golden raisins

Place all ingredients in a large, nonreactive pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture is very thick, 1- ½ to 2 hours. Let cool slightly. Ladle into hot sterilized half-pint jars and seal.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  9:05:41 PM  Show Profile
If you choose the nicest green tomatoes, wrap them in newspaper and put them in a box or paper bag they will turn red with only a little loss of flavor from vine ripened.

The green tomato chutney sounds really good!
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  9:32:01 PM  Show Profile
I picked about 40 lbs. of green tomatoes about 2 weeks ago. Most of them were green. I put them in boxes in the basement and covered them with a blanket. Then I check them about every other day and gather the ripe ones and can them. Most of them ripened well and there are a few of the largest left, but they are almost ready. Our season is short like yous and it is always a question if things will make it. But the garden is always worth it.

Last year I did make some green tomato salsa and it is really good.

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  3:05:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, I wondered about canning them if they ripened off the vine. I'm going to make a batch of green tomato salsa too!
Cherian
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  9:43:18 PM  Show Profile
last year i put all my unripened 'maters in paper sacks and they ripened just fine. this year, i'm trying a new method my neighbor told me about... she said to pick the whole plant and hang it upside down in a fairly warm spot. but our plants were too big to do this, so we just kept large sections of vines intact and hung them from a rope strung across our basement ceiling, where it stays nice and warm. i'll see how this works compared to the paper sack methods. but i did make fried green tomatoes for the first time and they were good!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  9:44:20 PM  Show Profile
i forgot to add, i did can all the ones i ripened in the paper sacks and they turned out delicious. so no problems there.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic GREEN Tomatoes! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page