Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Whole Foods for the Whole Family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Whole Foods for the Whole Family Next Topic  

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  08:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
This is a cookbook that was put out in the '90's by the La Leche League. I bought it and loved it. It had the greatest tomato sauce recipe in it that I had ever tasted. It took all day and was a lot of work but the first time I tasted it, I looked around to see who had actually made it because it couldn't have been me. It could be made with fresh or canned tomatoes and to be honest with you I always made it with canned. I also tinkered with it using turkey sausage making it lower fat. You just couldn't make it bad.

However, due to the general chaos in my life, this cookbook is missing and I would love to replace it. I've checked the usual sources such as ebay, abebooks.com, half.com etc to avail. I have found it in a couple of places but at very inflated prices. The orginial book was I believe around 12.00 and I've seen it for as high as $100. I can't imagine why it has become so valuable.

Does anyone have a copy of it that they would be willing to sell for a reasonable price, or if you can't bear to part with it can I at least get a copy of the sauce recipe? It makes an enormous amount and since at the time it was just my mom and I, I would make it up and freeze it up in one or two cup freezer bags and then when we wanted a quick meal we just had to nuke it or heat it on the stove and cook some pasta.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  10:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I think there are some cookbooks only type sites you can try. Or maybe the library can get you a copy and you can copy out the recipies you want until you can find a copy of your own. Good luck!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  10:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Kathy I just did a google search for this book and found three places that carry it for under $20 on the first results page. Put the title of the book in quotes.
Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  11:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Duh! You know I am always thinking that I wonder why people don't just do a search for things before asking about it in here. And then what do I do? I do the same thing. Thanks for the good ideas. I'm going to do a search for cookbook sites and also on the title. I use dogpile.com I have never been successful with google and have never figured out why it's so popular. Must be something wrong with me!

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  11:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I just did a google search and now I see what some of my confusion is. My book was put on by the La Leche League. There is another book with the same title edited by Roberta Johnson published by the La Leche League. I'm not sure if it's the same book since it appears to have been published the same year. It has an entirely different appearance and to seems to be much more available then the one I'm looking for. I think I'll go to the library and see if I can get a copy of each of them and compare them. Now why didn't I think of that before.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  8:16:14 PM  Show Profile
I don't know why that book would cost so much either but I tried to look for you as well and pretty much came up empty. I looked on ebay again for you, also checked amazon.com and my local library for you. My library didn't have it and the only place I saw it available for less than 100.00 was at books-a-million on the hard to locate page and it was listed for 58.00. It didn't have a picture though so I can't describe it to you to see if it's the one you want.

All I have to say is that if this recipe is worth all this searching for, you better post it here so we can all try it!!

Good luck finding it!
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlinthesand
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

maggie
Williston Fl
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  09:13:38 AM  Show Profile
I have that book and I love it! Sorry I wont part with it, but here's some info that might help....
Whole Foods For The Whole Family Cookbook
edited by Roberta Bishop Johnson
La Leche League International

I ordered mine directly from LLL a few years ago when I was a member. I dont remember the price but Im sure its wasnt outrageous or I wouldnt have bought it.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  1:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Maggie, maybe you could post the tomato sauce recipe Kathy is looking for. I know I'm interested in trying it if it's that good!!
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2006 :  09:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I just found it at half.com for $5.00. I ordered it so I just have to wait and see if it's really the one that I wanted because there was no picture. If it's the one, I'll post the recipe that I adored so you can all give it a try. It's a whole day production type thing but it was well worth the work. Or at least I thought so. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  03:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning!

I have that cookbook and it's falling apart from much loved use. If the book you ordered ends up not being the right one please post again. I'll be glad to write the recipe down and send it to you.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  05:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for the generous offer. I hope that this is the right one. There were so many more things in it that I wanted to try but never got around to. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed the cookbook as much as I did.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  11:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
i found one on ebay by the La Leche League International with a soft cover and a spiral binding. it is item #4622035122 if you want to look for it. Valerie

Alaska Girl all the Way

Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  4:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Valerie, I found one on Half.com and have ordered it. If I'm not happy with what I get, I'll go back to Ebay. They seem to show up there fairly often.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Whole Foods for the Whole Family Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page