Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Chest Freezer: How Big is Big Enough?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Chest Freezer: How Big is Big Enough? Next Topic  

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  07:25:12 AM  Show Profile
Hello all. My husband and I are planning on raising our own meat this spring and summer. I want to do enough chickens for the year and my husband has his eye on some pigs. So, I realized that we are going to need a big chest freezer to make this work. Since money is tight I'm keeping my eye on the classifieds and ebay but I don't know what a good minimum size is. Does anyone have any advice?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  07:37:41 AM  Show Profile
I guess I should add: We are a family of four. I'd like to have around 50 chickens in my freezer and we'll probably do one or two pigs.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  07:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Before you freeze everything, you may want to consider what happens if you have a loss of power? Do you live in an area where this could be a problem? You may also want to consider pressure canning some of the meat. You can get about a pound of chicken in a pint jar! Anyway, just something to think about. Good luck with the freezer hunt.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  08:07:43 AM  Show Profile
I have wondered about that. Our power has never been out for more than an hour since we've been here and I know a lady around the corner from us raises/hunts and then freezes all her meat and hasn't mentioned a problem when I've talked to her about it. A pressure canner is also on my list of necessities to get though as I'd at least like to can my own stock. I'm freezing it right now and it's taking up a lot of room in my little top freezer. Thanks for giving me another perspective! There's always something isn't there?

Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  12:56:55 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to mention...that I traded an upright freezer for a chest freezer...I would much rather have the upright! It is so much easier to find things without un-loading the whole chest to get something on the bottom..not to mention the strain on your back bending over the chest searching ~~
Just my thoughts...
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  5:34:53 PM  Show Profile
I like upright freezers better too..much easier to get to things and stays more organized..which I need in my life. My upright is about 15 years old now and going strong. I get a 1/2 beef, a whole pig and about 25 chickens crammed in there...right now no pork, but i have some elk and venison from my uncle. I do alot of canning too, but we go through this much meat each year and I like to get it all frozen in the fall and can it up as I can. Our power dosn't go out for more than a couple hours often, but that is on my mind alot too...and I am always nervous when there is alot more frozen than canned.
My freezer has a big 21 on it so I guess it is 21 cubic feet?? It is pretty tall. We have it in the garage..not the ideal location but the only place where I have the space. I would hate to be without it.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  6:09:32 PM  Show Profile
I can see how an upright would be ideal. I guess I'll have to see what's available and affordable though. It sounds like maybe I will need a minimum of 21 cubic feet and really the bigger the better. I just wanted to make sure I didn't buy something because it was cheap just to find out it wasn't going to come anywhere near to covering our needs.

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile
Mine is a chest and I'd trade for an upright if I had it to do over.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  5:55:30 PM  Show Profile
We have 2 chest freezers.I wish we had an upright but these were cheap and one was free( my hubby inherited it)it is big,(24 cubic ft) and a small 5 cubic ft.Plus we have one extra fridge with the small freezer on top.The 24 cubic ft one held one steer at butcher( 550 lbsof beef)The 5 cubic ft holds about 30 chickens cut up in pieces.We vacumm seal all of our meat so it stays for a year.We try to rotate when we butcher so each is 6 months after the other.( does that make sense)First we butcher a steer and then 6 months later chicken so there is always a little extra room in the freezer.I buy my pork because we don't eat that much of it but I do like to freeze my veggies in the summer.I presonal don't like the way canned meat tastes so I would try it if you are going to doa lot.We have a generator just in case of power outages but so far have had no problems.Even with the tough New England weather.One thing you also might want to consider is how old the freezer is.We got lucky with ours,The one my husband inherited had a extended warrranty and it broke so they replaced it for free.The smaller one we payed $50 for because the people were moving,it was only 2 years old.I would be concerned with old models using a lot of electricity.So you might end up paying in the long run.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  12:07:38 PM  Show Profile
We have a couple freezer. A 32 cu ft chest and two 24 cu ft uprights. Right now we have a full beef, couple hogs, up to 50 chickens, couple dozen rabbit and a deer with room left over for ice cream!!!

I've fretted over loosing power for a long period of time too. Make sure your freezer is ALWAYS FULL (even if it is just jugs of water) This helps cut down on the electricity it takes to keep your freezer cold and helps prolong the cold in case of power outage.

I have a few pressure cookers too, in case they're needed. I really should actually can some beef and chicken so I have practice before I need it!

Cyndi
Joshua 24:15

Ol 'MacDonald has nothing on us!
http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  11:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I would not trade my chest freeze for a upright for all the money in the world. I have to be able to get an entier Moose and atlest 50 pound of Salmon and Halibut in my freeze. I would never get the whole moose in an upright let alone the fish to. i have a 21 cubic feet freeze and it was stuffed full with all of the above items. hope that helps. Valerie

Alaska Girl all the Way

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Chest Freezer: How Big is Big Enough? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page