Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  1:43:49 PM  Show Profile
I was just gifted with a small truckload of walnuts still in their hull........now what? How do I get them out of the hull and do I have to let them dry or anything? Thank you!!!

how sweet it is to love some one, how right it is to care

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  3:08:04 PM  Show Profile
The walnuts need to dry out before you can crack open their shell. Lay them out in a sunny area for a few days. I would get a sturdy nutcracker to open them up with. I keep my walnuts in the refrigerator in an airtight container and they last a long time without getting mealy.

Enjoy!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Normally the hull will split on the tree and the nut will fall out onto the ground. Since they are still in the hull I'd lay them out in the sun on a large sheet to dry and split open, it could take a couple weeks depending how green they still are. Once the hull splits you can take the shell out and crack to get at the nut.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:33:30 PM  Show Profile
We have several Walnut trees near us and one our neighbors land. We collected ALOT last yr and I tried to set them out to dry and everyday several were gone...One morning I can out to check out how the nuts were drying...and what did I find...squirrels....about 5 of them and they had about 3 nuts each...all looked at me and took off...I suspect that they are the little ones that have been taking the nuts...so this yr wwe decided not to do that and see if we can get them off the ground before the squirrels get them
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Are these black walnuts or English walnuts? If I remember correctly, English walnuts will come out of their green shell on their own but black walnuts need a bit more coaxing. When I was a child on Grandma's farm there was a huge black walnut tree. We would gather them at the appropriate time and put them at the far end of the drive way to dry. After a few days, my older brothers would practice their stick shift driving skills by backing up and pulling forward time after time in my dad's old pick up truck to separate nuts from shells. Then we would gather the nuts and spend the next few days cracking them and removing the meats. Wear gloves when handling black walnuts---they stain terribly. The nutmeats not immediately used would be put in the freezer for future cakes, breads, and the most wonderful treat of all--black walnut divinity---yummy!!! Enjoy your nuts.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  6:42:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your advice, I learned the hard way about the staining!! Looking forward to getting them out of their hulls and making good use of them, Carol

how sweet it is to love some one, how right it is to care
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help with walnuts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page