True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  10:40:47 AM  Show Profile
hey ladies!

I'm curious if there are any MJF raw foodists out there. A raw foodist is someone that has a diet of like 75% of raw foods or higher. From what I understand they do it mostly for nutritious benefits, some even eat only raw meats! I do think that veggies are way more nutritious raw, but I think we should be cooking our meats...

at any rate, are there any raw foodists here? how do you do it? what are some of your favorite raw food recipes? And if you aren't a raw foodist - do any of us try to eat a lot of foods raw? do you have any favorite raw recipes?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  11:58:43 AM  Show Profile
You know Heather, I have a small organic market garden and meet all kinds of wonderful people with all manner of diets and lifestyles. Most of my customers are wonderfully healthy looking EXCEPT for a couple who are vegan raw foodists. I wouldn't even comment about them except they are quite preachy on their diet choice. And honestly, they are the most unhealthy looking of all of my customers! Her hair is extremely thin and she carries an odd, almost bloated looking body appearance. He is terribly thin with dark circles under his eyes and has the coloring of wallpaper paste.
Now granted these two are extreme in their diet choice, but having seen these two I cringe when I hear raw foodists!

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  12:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I do my green smoothies in the morning...they are awesome and I love them. My favorite is a lot of spinach, frozen blueberries or strawberries, some agave nectar, 1 banana and sometimes a little flax oil. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  3:29:59 PM  Show Profile
oh heather, that does sound very yummy! how is it without yogurt and/or ice? is it the frozen berries that add the smoothie consistencey?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  3:37:59 PM  Show Profile
you know di, I understand that there are a lot of people who use the vegan and vegetarian diet as a way to mask their eating disorders. Not everyone mind you, but there are some. And that couple seems to fit that bill. It's sad really, because it's easier for them to hide behind that way of life instead of facing that they are actually unhealthy. I also understand that raw foodists often have more of a chance of getting foodborn illnesses.

but, if we are growing our own veggies, some of the food poisoning is diminished. Although I was reading that raw peas in large amounts can be harmful. fancy that! our little pea, a threat! who knew! although I'm not sure how many you'd need to eat before getting ill...

but, in spite of the bad press, i still love me some raw fruits and veggies, even though I don't eat much of them except in salads. I wish I had more ways to eat (and get my DH to eat) raw veggies, because if nothing else they taste completely different and often better fresh than cooked.

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  3:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
No yogurt...just the frozen berries...works great...just make sure you have a good blender...totally raw and good!!! I can't do dairy, so this is perfect for me and Charlie drinks them up...doesn't know the spinach is even in there. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  4:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
I also do the GREEN DRINK! Sometimes it is homegrown spinach, sometimes it is bought garden mix (lettuces), sometimes I add my homegrown celery or parsley. I've even added a tomato once or twice. My homeopathic doctor says chewing it doesn't do as good a job blender blades do. I just drink it with my meal and I've included my veggies.

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  5:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our granddaughter, who is almost 18 and is a senior in high school, uses a vegetarian diet to hide her bulemia. She is horribly thin, very unhealthy and very unhappy. She is also known to pass out frequently. Sad to see her in this mode!!!! I pray that she will get past this and get her health back . . .and her smile and her sense of humor!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  5:24:22 PM  Show Profile
oh CJ! that is terribly sad! I'll be praying for her. poor girl. out of the little group of 5 friends I had in high school one was anorexic and one bulemic. It's so terribly sad. Teenage depression is a more serious thing that some people imagine. She's definately in my prayers, what is her name?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  5:27:19 PM  Show Profile
lynn, is this green drink a thing? is it suggested by drs?

my in laws bought this great blender and make veggie and fruit smoothies but they use a whole lot of frozen stuff, doesn't the freezing process depleat some of the nutrients as well?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  7:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am not sure about the depleation by freezing but I figure it's better than nothing...and I am not a big spinach fan...so I get in my greens this way.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  11:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Yes I am a raw foodist!! Right now I am 95 percent raw. The other 5 is because I drink hot tea. And yes I love green smoothies! I've been doing this for about 2 years now off and on. I've learn so much and I must say that some people say there raw when there not. Which soulds like the guy you are talking about that you saw. There are so many ways of doing raw food. Just like theres weight watchers, South west beach diet, ect.
What me and my mom do is we eat all raw salads with raw salad dressing, green smoothies every morning, fresh juices, raw crakers that we make in out dehydrater, and we do drink herbal tea every now and then and lots of fresh veggies and fruits. I'm telling you that when we did 80 to 90 percent raw we lost so much weight, had more energy then every before, and looked great.
We did fall of the wagon when my grandpa died but are now going 100 percent raw for 30 days. That is our goal. Tomorrow will be day 1 for us. Last week we were just adding more raw stuff and then giving up like dairy, bread, ect. If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask me. There are so many things I want to say about raw food but don't know where to start.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  11:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
P.s. I would show you a picture of me before but I can't because we have dial up.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  11:19:12 PM  Show Profile
well maggie, what sort of dishes are you eating? I'd like to incorporate more raw dishes into my menu, but all I can think of are salads. having green smoothies sounds interesting, I think I'll try it if I can get my hands on some more bananas. I don't think I can do a smoothie on all veggies and then some peaches? meaning that I don't think I could eat it without getting grossed out. so do you have a favorite dish? or maybe some really fun, easy or interesting ones for those of us interested in raw foods to try?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  06:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Oh Maggie, tell me about your raw crackers. What are they made from and how do you make them?

Heather Ann, my homeopathic doctor told me about the "green drink." I just happen to like a lighter drink so I usually use the spring garden mix in a bag. I add a hand full with 8 oz of water and blend. Suppose to drink 16 oz a day but usually only get in my 8 oz. My doctor also suggests using distilled water which I do not like the taste of so I use bottled drinking water with reverse osmosis.

I rarely use bought frozen food for anything. I don't think I've ever had a smoothie, at least not the past few years. I shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's once a month and stock up with whatever organic veggies I do not have in my garden.

It is interesting to read about all the ways everyone gets their veggies.

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  06:45:17 AM  Show Profile
Maggie, I'd love to know where you get your recipes and such for raw food dishes. I saw a segment about this on Secret Lives of Women. I'm very interested in doing raw, at least during the months my garden is producing. What do you do in the winter time? Do you buy produce at the market? So many questions!! lol!!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  12:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Heather,
Thanks for your prayers and concerns for our granddaughter. Her name is Delia. My daughter, her stepmom, is Robin.
Thanks!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  9:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies, Just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten your questions. I will answer your questions tomorrow.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Wow. This is amazing. I came here this morning to start a thread about raw food and vegan/vegetarian... asking what others thought and what they could suggest, etc. etc. and this thread was already here and on fire! lol. I'm almost taking that as a sign! I better read this. I haven't even started.. I am pretty giddy about it! lol.

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
http://www.stevietribute.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
Nature's Sunshine - Certified Herbalist/
Spiritual Therapist
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  09:46:30 AM  Show Profile
If there were unlimited supply of cukes,peppers, broccoli and salads all year long in our garden, I'd die a happy person.

There are some of my favorite raw veggies.

Trouble is raw broccoli now makes my tummy hurt really bad. It's so good marinated. And interesting enough the ONLY way I can eat this now is fresh picked out of the garden and lightly steamed w/all within in the same few minutes. There's something about it when it's raw from the store or frozen. So I really look forward to our fall garden.

I also know people who feed their dogs an all raw diet. It's as good for them as it is for us but sometimes both can be expensive. The less processing, the better.
I buy freezedried raw chicken for my dog. And she also loves, loves, loves collards and turnips.

For pets, the raw meat isn't so much an issue. I still would cook chicken though,. But for us people, I'd rather have my meat cooked...albeit fresh, hormone -free from our buddy's farm.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  09:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Cj, thanks for their names :)

and gosh i didn't know there would be such interest in this!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  10:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies, Here are some wonderful raw books and websites that really helped us in our jouney. And I just want to say that I am not perfect. Like yesterday I had a piece of cheese. So its an on going thing and no ones perfect. I still struggle to be 95 percent a day too. Some days I'm up and some days I'm down. Its better to be healthy and do what you thinks best for your body and your family. But that is my goal and I am trying very hard to reach it. But we do try to stick to 50 percent raw each day.
Ok, now on to the books and website.

Raw Books
Detox 4 Women by Natalia Rose
Eating for Beauty By David Wolfe
Green For Life By Victoria Boutenko ( this is the book that talks all about green smoothies and has many recipes in it.)
Eating without Heating By Sergei and Valya Boutenko
12 steps to Raw Foods By Victoria Boutenko
Raw Food Life Force Energy By Natalia Rose
Quantum Eating By Tonya Zavasta
All theses books you can get from the library.

Websites (these are some of our very favorites and the best to find out information)

www.rawfamily.com

www.greensmoothiegirl.com

www.BeautifulOnRaw.com

www.hacres.com

www.detoxtheworld.com (Natalie Rose site. She is great resource for detoxing slowly)

Hopefully this answers some of your questions. If not please tell me.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  10:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I just saw some questions that I did not answer.

How do we do it in the winter? were not totally raw in winter,
We eat raw fruits and veggies that are in season. Some vegan soups, hot herbal tea, and crakers and nuts. Sometimes we steam veggies lightly too.

How do we make our crackers? In the books that I posted there are some really great cracker recipes. We make outs out of flax seeds, spices, etc. Then we put them in our dehydrater ( don't know if thats spelled right, sorry.)

What dishes are we eating? Were eating mostly salads and green smoothies right now. We really eat what are bodies tell us to. Like if I need something heavy I eat a few nuts. If I feel like I need something light I drink a smoothie or have a salad. Does that make since?

Where do we buy produce? Right now we buy it at the farmers market. Its so good and fresh. After the farmers market is over we buy it mostly at our local health food store. Its all organic and fresh.

If there are any more questions I would be glad to answer them!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  06:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Okay after going to the store and trying to get things ...like super green powder to put in my green smoothies, and goji berries (which I couldn't find but they are expensive if ordered on the net..) ... everything right down to the veggies.... are expensive..... even at the farmer's market..... they are making a killing off of this stuff.

I'm tired. I'm frustrated! People wonder why we're so unhealthy ... well, it's because the stuff that makes us unhealthy is SO darn expensive! At least it is here in Houston... yes, even at the farmer's market.

Is it so expensive where you all are?? I wanted to do this right, but it's really overwhelming when the prices are so much. Especially that Super green....

~~~~
Spiritual Therapist
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  09:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Brooke, I'm so sorry you are having trouble. Its really hard to go raw when you don't have veggies and fruits. For us its not expensive in the summer but in the winter it can be a little pricey. Wish there was more I could do to help...
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  09:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Oh, it's okay, Maggie. I think you guys would have better prices. It's not surprising.. I'm right here in a huge city so I think they charge more for organics and the like.. Even the farmer's markets... it's just so frustrating! Sorry to vent but I am trying! LOL.

~~~~
Spiritual Therapist
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic any raw foodists out there Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: