Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 My Sis . . . ending my "career" - 09/13/12
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic My Sis . . . ending my "career" - 09/13/12 Next Topic
Page: of 21

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  1:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
09/13/12: My brother-in-law was able to hire a replacement for me right away and it seems like it is going pretty well. I was out of town last week so my not going to work with my sister didn't feel "funny". This week was different . . it DID feel "funny" to not go. Totally strange on Sunday evening to not be doing my usual preparing to go to work on Monday. BUT it's been really good to have this week to FINALLY clean my house and do some other things long overdue. Also, still selling at Farmers Market every Saturday so I do a lot of sewing.
Thanks for your prayers! I appreciate your continued prayers as I continue to work through the transition AND for finances. Our older sister from British Columbia is coming to visit and she has not seen our disabled sister for 6 years. She saw her briefly right after her accident but her condition has deterioriated considerably since then and I think she will be quite surprised.
Thank you again!
CJ

08/27/12: UPDATE: many of you were following this thread and still occasionally inquire. NOTHING, absolutely nothing has changed in progress for my sister's condition.
HOWEVER, after FOUR YEARS and ONE MONTH as her caregiver I'm ending my "career" as her caregiver, my last day tomorrow, 08/28/12. This has been the most difficult thing I've done and trying to be her caregiver AND her sister is nothing short of impossible. I'M SOOOOO BURNT!!
So, I'm changing back to just being her sister and will visit her as her sister.
Pray for her and her hubby as they adjust to a new caregiver. Pray for me as I make this transition AND for the significant financial impact it will have.

NOTE: Her 60th birthday is this coming Sunday, Sept. 2nd. She doesn't remember how old she is.

We are still very involved in the life of our 38 year-old son who has Down Syndrome. While he doesn't live with us, he lives nearby, we see him on a regular weekly basis, are also his legal guardians (yes, biolgoical parents too) and ultimately responsible for his care and decisions made for him.

Thanks so much!!!
CJ

04/17/2012: Just a quick update. Many farmgirls were "following" this journey with me and I "retired" the thread for reasons I won't get into. Some farmgirls have inquired so, for now I'm posting a quick update, however the "thread" is still "retired.

THINGS WITH MY SISTER ARE UNCHANGED. It's been almost six years since her accident, it has been a very long, arduous, challenging journey. I still work as a caregiver for her 20 hrs/wk.. Nothing is changed, we just hang in there, do what we can for her and love her.

YOUR CONTINUED PRAYERS ARE APPRECIATED even though it a very, very LONG journey!

Thanks so much!
CJ

Hi Farmgirls...
Some of you may have read other posts where I talk about my sister who is brain-injured from a horseback riding accident in May 2006. She is totally dependent on others and disabled . . . and because of cognition issues it is like taking care of a baby . . .she just turned 57 years old.

She has also had both hips replaced, rt. one before her accident and lt. one after as it appeared that the same thing was happening to it as to the first one. The cup part of that lt. (2nd one) replacement has gone "bad" and the ortho surgeon has to re-operate. Her hosp. lab work showed some kind of infection that has been difficult to identify. Surgeon won't do surgery until she is well . . . he believes it to be an infection in her bones. She has been in hosp. for the past 3 days and they are "fixing" her up to come home tomorrow but will have weeks of IV antibiotic therapy with the assistance of home health nurses, etc.

In the meantime, she is no longer walking or standing because of the pain in her hip. Doing ALL the routine things one does with a disabled patient are VERY difficult because of this and it required monumental physical strength from caregivers . . . of which I am one.

Please pray for: healing of the infection so we can move on to repair of the hip problem.
- for adjustment of the shunt (in her brain to control hydrocephalus)
- for caregivers (there are 3 of us) to have STRENGTH, physical protection, and wisdom. For us to be encouraged as this is SO-O-O-O very discouraging and frustrating. Her caregivers are all family members, so we can't leave it when we go home.

This has been and is a very complicated situation . . . and things won't be resolved any time soon.

THANKS FOR YOUR PRAYERS!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

Edited by - ceejay48 on Sep 13 2012 9:53:42 PM

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  1:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Dear CJ,

I am praying for ALL of the above. I got your e-mail but haven't been able to reply because we are having computer issues with e-mails. Hang in there God is good! I am thankful that your sister has you! You have such a servant's heart.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 27 2009 5:47:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  3:51:13 PM  Show Profile
prayers and blessings for all

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for you and your family, may God watch over all of you!

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Instead of telling God how big your problem is....tell your problem how big God is.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  6:07:27 PM  Show Profile
I will be praying for all of you and a good outcome for her surgery when it can be done.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  05:01:47 AM  Show Profile
C.J. prayers for you and your sister. blessings to all who are caring for your dear sister. please remember to try and take care of yourself when you can. I know it's hard to do. hopefully things will clear up and they can do the surgery soon. bless you for your wonderful loving heart. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  07:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Lots of hugs and prayers for you and your family CJ.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  6:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Farmgirl Prayer Warriors!!!

Procedure to put in IV port did NOT happen today (not because of issues with my sister). Supposed to happen tomorrow . . . then hopefully she can come home. There will be MANY additional challenges to her care at home.
Hip surgery is weeks down the road!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!! I'll let you know what's next
CJ

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  10:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Praying sweetie

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  04:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Oh CeeJay you have such a good heart and this is such a difficult task God has given you in caring for your sister. Do visiting nurses come to give you and other family members a break from the stress of constant care? I'll keep all of you in my prayers.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  07:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
As of her discharge from the hosp. there will be home health nurses coming to take care of her IV antibiotic therapy which is through a port in her upper lt. chest. This has to be done twice a day for 6 weeks. Her orthopedic surgeon and neurosurgeon has stated that she HAS to have her hip repair done BEFORE the antibiotics are done. However, she has to be referred to a more specialized orthopedic surgeon in a metro area. Well, that means away from home, from support . . .for who knows how long. I was in her room on Tuesday when orthopedic surgeon (local) and told me that he would have to refer her for this because he believes she has infection in her bones. Not something he is able to tackle with the resources available in a small town hospital. I don't know if I will be able to go with them wherever they have to go because of my obligations at home. AND, to further complicate matters . . . my husband has knee arthroscopy next Tuesday and I have to be available to help him, at least initially. While this isn't major debilitating he'll be needing some assistance for a while.
AND, I still need to work full-time . . . .we have no insurance for his procedure.
Life certainly presents a LOT of challenges, huh???

Please continue your prayers . . . and I THANK YOU . . MORE THAN I CAN EXPRESS!!!!

CJ

Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  12:23:00 PM  Show Profile
Prayers sent. Hugs offered.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  2:12:50 PM  Show Profile
CJ,
I am so sorry you are having to go through so much. You will all be in my prayers. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Prayers sent. hope everything works out.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  2:34:55 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry CJ. Wow, that's ALOT. I am still praying :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  2:43:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh CJ that is a lot for you to be dealing with. I'm sending hugs and prayers. Lots of them. Do you have any other siblings? just remember God won't give us more then we can handel. He must think you are very strong, so do I.

Praying,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  6:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have other siblings, but they do not live close by. Scattered from British Columbia to North Carolina!!!!

THANKS FOR YOUR PRAYERS AND ENCOURAGEMENTS!!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  9:01:50 PM  Show Profile
...lifting you and your sister up in prayers.
{{{HUGS}}}

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766
(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  07:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Off to the Women of Faith Conference with my daughter today and tomorrow . . . LOOKING FORWARD to time to rest & rejoice in HIM!!!!
THANKS FARMGIRLS!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  11:09:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh fun Wish I was going with you!!! Hope yall have a blast! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  11:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Have a wonderful time CJ :) Be blessed and refreshed

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
WOF Conference WAS a blessing and a refreshment!!! It is over and I head back home today . . drive all day, back to work with my sis tomorrow and to hosp. on Tuesday with my hubby for his knee surgery. Then it'll be helping him out for a couple more days, helping with getting my sis prepared for surgery in Denver on the 14th-15th. I'll need to take the "refreshment" home with me and HANG ON TO IT!!!!!

Time with my daughter was . . . always is . . . priceless!! I'm SO-O-O-O-O grateful for our relationship and HUGE FRIENDSHIP!!!!!

THANKS FOR PRAYING . . . much ahead for all of us yet!!
BLESSINGS ON YOU ALL!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  08:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well . . . things are in holding pattern for repair of sisters misaligned hip replacement part. She is getting LONG TERM IV antibiotics via IV port with home health support. Because she has a shunt for hydrocephalus, her neurosurgeon is not supporting surgery at this time, until the antibiotics have finished and tests can be run again to determine if infection is still present.

In the meantime, it is a MAJOR CHALLENGE to move her around as necessary for toileting, showering, dressing, etc. So, we have to hope and pray that her 3 caregivers (of which I am one) can stay strong and "unbroken" to get through this time. Approx. one month yet to go for antibiotics. But then, getting through the surgery and recovery will be much more time.

So, we continue to persevere!!!
THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh CJ you certainly have your plate full. I am praying for you and thinking of you. I wish I was closer to give you a helping hand you sure need and desirve one. Hang in there God will see you through.
Laura

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  7:32:32 PM  Show Profile
CJ--God bless you for being such a good sister. I'm glad you were able to attend the WOF conference. It's so important to keep up your strength (physical and spiritual).

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13619 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13619 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  09:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for your encouragement!!!

We're still holding . . . and trying to keep from hurting ourselves!!!

She still has quite a bit of IV antibiotic therapy to get through. Our oldest brother was just here from Oregon. It was good for both of them to see each other (1100 miles away). He got her to sing with him and she seemed to enjoy listening to him play the piano. His wife did some cleaning and sorting in the kitchen. It was very helpful and supportive for all of us.

Thanks for your prayers . . . please hang in there with us!
CJ

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic My Sis . . . ending my "career" - 09/13/12 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page