HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  11:13:23 PM  Show Profile
any gals here have chickens in a really tiny yard? we are (hopefully) get this great house in an area with lots of open country. Unfortunately it has quite a small yard. I think it's like 7,500 square feet and the house takes up so darn much of it. It's not our dream home, but we can beat it and maybe 15-20 years from now we'll get a house on a few acres (swoon!)

So, in the meantime I'm really wanting a few, maybe 4, chickens and a little coup with a nice run (my mom has this 12ft by 12ft chain link cube with a roof).

Anyone here have such a small yard and chickens? Any pros/cons of small yard chicken keeping? I know they don't need like half an acre, and they can roam around our small yard in the grass, but will they turn the whole yard to dust? will they jump out and into the neighbors yard if I let them out of their coop and run? thankfully there is only one neighbor on one side of this house, a street on one side and a big field behind.

ok. i could go on an on, any advice out there?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  04:05:13 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
We also have a small area. Yes, they will turn your yard to dust. We have six chickens, which live in a chicken tractor. We move it daily, to fresh grass, and eventually the original spot will have grown back. And we move them back to that spot. We had to separate two out, as they were bullies to the others. So, now we have to move two sets of houses. But, yes, they really scratch up the ground down to the dirt. They do a great job, if you are trying to get the grass down. Which is what we have done, and then we plant in those areas. They really do a great job. We also grow produce in raised beds for the Farmers Market. Small operation, but the chickens cannot roam free for that reason. But I can always tell how much happier they are when they get moved to fresh ground with fresh grass, they go right into pecking it up.
We are urban farmers, and therefore cannot trust our chickens to stay put, which they dont whenever they get out. We have fences on all sides, but they can manage to escape once in a while. So, this is how we deal with it, they have their house which is part of the chicken tractor, and we just keep moving them. You can find free patterns online, or construct your own. We also use an old doghouse, which makes a house for four of the hens, and we move it with their run. Chicken tractors are great, because it allows them to be on the ground, and yet have shelter.
We also use leaves alot. We get leaves from our daughter as well as what we bag up. We put them in their house, and change them regularly. I put down a split open feed sack, and then put leaves or hay on top of it, and it is so easy to pull it out, and put in a clean bag with fresh leaves or hay. And when they have no grass, I take some leaves and throw in their pen for them to scratch around in. They love it, through the winter. And all they scratch in, can be used for compost.
Hope this helps. We still get between four and six eggs every day. So, they are happy chickens.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Sep 24 2009 04:12:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  07:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather!

We have a small flock, ok three at this time, and are having a good time with it. Our city just recently allowed backyard chickens and for now until we to find acreage we make do.
Yes, the chickens will kill the grass. Their constant scratching, dusting and "poopin" destroys the area pretty quick. I have a fixed coop but allow the girls to roam the yard each evening for a bit with supervision. This seems to keep them happy and they lay consistantly.
Have fun!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  10:06:32 AM  Show Profile
thanks girls!

So, if I'm planning on alotting them a specific corner of the yard, well fenched with that big chain like cube my mom has and attatched to a coop, I'm liking the idea of letting them out for a bit each evening. And I'm thinking of puting our raised bed garden in the front yard, as there is a nice big patch to have fun with. Will the chickens be totally brutal to ornamental plants? Like if I have a fruit tree or two and some hedges, maybe some little flowers. Will they eat those if I let them out say 4 days a week for like half an hour?

And Sheri, do you mean hay or straw because there can be quite a price difference for quality hay? And I'm had thought about laying down ply wood, only because my mom has a ton, and covering that with straw in the run. I was thinking that would make raking up the straw and hose-ing everything down a cinch. And the only reason I'm thinking I'll need to thoroughly clean everything regularly is to ward off the mites. Do you ladies have issues with mites? And what kind of smell do they produce? Is it as stinky as owning a cow? Or more comparable to a horse? In my mind cow is like eye watering smell and horse is just noticable (at least when you haven't lived with these animals for a while)

Oh I have so many questions! I'm sold on this idea, but I'm going to have to present a really, REALLY strong case to my husband :)

One other thing - I have kids. 16 mos and 3 mos. And, even though it's a small yard and I want to do a lot with it, I still want them to have some space to play and I think I can totally do all three: play area, chickens, raised garden. BUT, I've heard that kids shouldn't play in chicken coops, at least not often. And I don't plan on ever using the run or the coop as any kind of play pen. But, with our small yard and the potential lack of air flow because of the wonderful wood fence, do you think the yard would pose the same risk to my kids as the run?

ok. I'll stop here :)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  10:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Hey Heather, we have our girls in a tractor too. Our property is 1/4 acre, with like you the house taking a bit of space. I do let the girls out everymorning and come sundown they go to bed on their own and are locked up.We move our tractor about once a month, since they are out all day they dont really thrash thier house.As far as the yard, mine havent messed up a bunch of grass. There are some spots in the shade where they have dug holes and such, but really I love having them. We do have a drake rouen, who is their leader,lol.I dont recomend getting ducks,lol, without a bit more space..

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  2:01:24 PM  Show Profile
OMG Heather...my husbands aunt lived in Cucamonga in the middle of a citrus grove. The last time we visited her (in the 80's) hers was the only chunk of land in the area. It was so secluded we forgot we were in the city. She's been gone a long while now, and I imagine there's no such thing as citrus groves in the middle of town anymore?

You'll love chickens. My cousin has 2 in Portland, OR and loves them. They two of them have the whole back yard and haven't been too hard on it. I suppose it depends on how many chickens and how much space. Have fun!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  3:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
heather, i have some of my chickens running loose and teraing up the ground lol and the rest in a small pen. to keep the ones that are penned up happy i pick weeds and grasses and throw in their pen daily. during the winter i give them a flake of hay every few days to keep them happy. enjoy your hens and the eggs they will pesent you with! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  5:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, yea rancho cucamonga has a gigantic out door mall now and the neighboring city, ontario, has a mall that is supposedly the largest indoor mall this side of the mississippi. And there is like every huge chain store and restraunt you could think of in this town. Long, long gone are the orchards and vineyards. sad. but that's southern california for ya! and do two chickens do ok? I don't want them to be at all lonely which is why I was thinking 4, but if two are ok, maybe I'll start there!

gosh I'm excited. I really want to get a heritage breed, but I'm not sure if it makes any sense if I never get a rooster.

connie, feeding them weeds and stuff is genius! I never would have thought that. in my mind chickens eat chicken scratch, and that's it. maybe some bugs. but feeding them hay too, amazing!

We'll probably be moving around Christmas, so by february I should be all set up and ready for some chicks! woo hoo! I think I'm going to ask for chicken keeping books for Christmas...

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  07:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather! We have a quarter acre lot in a large city. Our house takes up most of the lot leaving a small backyard and larger side yard. We have two bantams in a portable tractor. The girls get out of the tractor for at least an hour everyday to run and forage. They haven't been too hard on the plants during their "recess", other than discovering the blueberry bush. However, the area under the tractor is turned to dirt from their scratching, etc. In the summer, the tractor is kept in different locations under a grapefruit tree and in the winter, the tractor is moved to a sunny weedy area that we never got around to planting. We try to move the tractor weekly and I frequently throw hay or dried leaves in for them to scratch about.

AS for the number, I love having two chickens as they produce enough eggs for my husband and me. However, they are molting and entering their second year so I am expecting the egg production will be less. I'm planning on getting one or two more bantam chickens next spring. We chose heritage breed bantams for their size in our small yard and heritage because we believe that even our small purchase of two will encourage breeders to keep these breeds going.
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  08:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
Chickens are wonderful companions. I love to sit outside in the morning or afternoons and let the hens out to roam. Chicken TV is probably one of the best channels in the world. Your children will learn the responsibilty of helping care for them and don't worry to much about the kids playing with the hens. The key to keeping mites, smells, nasty germs away is keep it clean. In my coop where the girls sleep I have placed vinyl flooring down. It makes it souper easy to clean and the chickin poop doesnt leech into the plywood were it could cause bad things to grow and smells to breed. I make sure to rake out the enclosed run once a week and am using the deep bedding method for the coop it's self. No smells yet and it's been 7 months now.
The hens help in turning mulch and compost in the garden beds when they are out roaming. so far I have'nt had much of a problem with them eating my garden. They are more concerned with finding bugs and weeds then my plants. My hens love dandelion's, it's like candy to them and the vine weed is under control and almost gone. I ran out of dandelions and went next door to the neighbors (they don't use pesticdes) and asked could I pull the weeds in their yard. After a few strange looks and a breif discussion they agreed. I think I'm quickly becoming the "chicken lady" here in the neighborhood.

I have a few pictures posted on my blog please feel free to check it out. Good Luck!

Farm Girl Sister #662

Edited by - Heather B on Sep 30 2009 10:50:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  09:14:14 AM  Show Profile
Meg,
That is a great idea about purchasing heritage chickens to encourage the breeders. I'm glad you mentioned that!
Heather,
Thanks for posting so much here and in your blog! It's much appreciated! And the vinyl is a terrific idea, I didn't even think about the smell getting into the wood!

Has anyone purchased full grown chickens? There is a HUGE poultry auction held once a month in our area and I'm curious about anyone's take on buying full grown hens instead of trying pullets

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  09:50:44 AM  Show Profile
I looked into buying hens at the auction but decided against it. You never know exactly what your going to get. Even if they look healthy, are they? What have they been feed? Antibiotics? How old, will they lay as much as you'd like? Just some thoughts. I'd look to some local farms and maybe some local farmgirls in your area and see if you can barter or buy them that way. Or get some from a breeder.
Just my thoughts....

Heather

Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

katevc
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Kate
Hutchinson KS
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  9:11:29 PM  Show Profile
We have become the family to three young chickens we were originally chicken sitting earlier this summer. We've had a temporary setup for them as chicks - we have a mobile large cage we move every day the we built for the baby ducks we had at Easter. It has been great as the chicks have grown. At night they have gone into a large dog crate with a tray and a roosting stick inside a shed. We are making some homemade version of a chicken tractor for the girls. There is lots of space here, but we are renting our little house on our landlords' farm. So, we can't really build what we would want to and aren't sure how ok the landlords really are with how the birds will impact the yard. (They already have a hen house and run with quite a few chickens.) We also want to build something that can move with us when we move. Any suggestions?

Also, we have a two year old and she LOVES the chickens. She loves to help take care of them and feed them and she loves to talk to them. She even takes some of the barn kittens to the mobile coop to introduce the kittens and the chicks so they will be friends. I love watching her with them. I think you will enjoy watching your little ones with the chickens.

I have a few questions for all the helpful farm girls here -
1. I like the idea of using leaves for some of the bedding/flooring. Are there any leaves we shouldn't use?
2. Do any of you order chicken feed on-line? I'm just trying to do some price comparisons on feed. We give them table veggies and extras from the garden....just working on our chicken budget.
3. Does anyone have a good way to ID the type of chicken breed? These were hatched from a friend of a friend kind of thing. I think I have identified one, but I'm not sure about the two white ones with some speckles. Just looking for an easy to understand guide.

I want to reccomend the book "Barnyard in your Backyard." Your library should have it. It goes way beyond chickens, but it has great information.

Thank you everyone! Happy chicken raising!
-Kate in Kansas

To plant a thing and watch it grow... that is to nurture a miracle.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chickens in a small yard? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page