dirtfaery
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Los Angeles CA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  1:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone-

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I have big plans, as many of us do. Mine have been in the works for the past 17 years (since i was 10 years old). I want to run and own a B&B. I want to have some pasture, some farm-able land, some woodland and would prefer to have running water on the property. I would like for my land to cover between 20 and 60 acres, to allow for nice long hikes, camp-outs and lots of peace and privacy. As if that wasn't a tall enough order, I hope for this land to be within about 30 miles of Portland, OR.

The thought that came to me today while I prodded over a hundred listings of land available in that area was "why not ask the ladies over on Mary Jane's chat forum?" Because I assume that some of you, likely many of you, have gone through the process of seeking and purchasing land and others have dealt with the issues involved with running a business, I figured that not asking here would be seriously wasting a precious resource.

Any information you have: preferred realtors, books that give insights into how to make this project work for me, listings you already know about, friends/family members/obscure relatives you know who might like to sell their land. Anything would be helpful since I am finally able to start the process of looking for that perfect plot.

Thank you all so very much for reading this. I hope you're all well and happy.

Stevie the dirtfaery

Down the passage which we did not take, towards the door we never opened, into the rose-garden.

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  05:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning, Stevie! I really don't have answers to your questions, but I just thought a bit of encouragement might help. I'm like you, in a way. I really want our farm to produce enough income to pay for itself. We have 60 acres, and love it. I'm way too rural for a B&B, but I have been watching for articles on other farm related businesses. Hobbyfarms.com, and the book Hobby Farms has a lot of good, but general information on starting and running a farm based business. Try those, and see if it'll help. Also, I know most B&B owners would be happy to discuss with you the joys and pitfalls of ownership. Just call them and make an appointment ahead of time. Hope this helps, and good luck with your dream!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  05:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
follow your dream. I unfotunately know little about the west coast..being from Michigan..but go for it..find it..pursue it

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  07:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Actually I would prefer a rural B&B. I would love to just go look at chickens, relax in the country with out any signs of city life around me! Sit on a big porch and drink tea, etc. For a weekend.

There's a lot of B&Bs that do things for certain groups now that I bet not being in a city, or being rural would be ok. Like some do quilting or scrap booking weekends, they really don't do anything in town, just stay in and work on their projects with other women.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  09:09:21 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Stevie!! go with your dreams. Pursue pursue pursue!!! I don't have any answers to you questions but I do know that only you can make it happen. Just pick the right partner. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  09:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Stevie. NO advice but good luck :) Follow your dreams

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

wyldwoman6
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Ruth T
Vancouver WA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  5:11:16 PM  Show Profile
well, i live in vancouver WA...have you tried looking at web sites with farms for sale? in the NW part of OR or the SW part of WA? i would google farmland for sale...i know a long time ago there was a company called United Farm they might still be around on the net.
also, a friend of mine in the mortgage business told me that USDA has a program that allows purchase with no money down for a farm but this is a limited time offer....
hope this helps!

quote:
Originally posted by dirtfaery

Hi everyone-

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I have big plans, as many of us do. Mine have been in the works for the past 17 years (since i was 10 years old). I want to run and own a B&B. I want to have some pasture, some farm-able land, some woodland and would prefer to have running water on the property. I would like for my land to cover between 20 and 60 acres, to allow for nice long hikes, camp-outs and lots of peace and privacy. As if that wasn't a tall enough order, I hope for this land to be within about 30 miles of Portland, OR.

The thought that came to me today while I prodded over a hundred listings of land available in that area was "why not ask the ladies over on Mary Jane's chat forum?" Because I assume that some of you, likely many of you, have gone through the process of seeking and purchasing land and others have dealt with the issues involved with running a business, I figured that not asking here would be seriously wasting a precious resource.

Any information you have: preferred realtors, books that give insights into how to make this project work for me, listings you already know about, friends/family members/obscure relatives you know who might like to sell their land. Anything would be helpful since I am finally able to start the process of looking for that perfect plot.

Thank you all so very much for reading this. I hope you're all well and happy.

Stevie the dirtfaery

Down the passage which we did not take, towards the door we never opened, into the rose-garden.

eternal love and light
Go to Top of Page

dirtfaery
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Los Angeles CA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  5:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! Yes, I have been googling like a fiend. I just was looking around to see if anyone had specific info to share. You never know until you ask, right?
I checked the United Farm lead and it's now just WV, apparently. Worth a look, anyway.

As for the USDA grants, that's a wealth of information! Thank you! I think I will be able to fill many an afternoon/evening researching that.

It was really wonderful for you to share.

Be well
S

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  07:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
Think of where you would like to go if you were to leave and vacation..most people would just love to relax. Myself i wouldn't want to go to a city.

also make sure there is some access to it..within an hour or two from an airport would have to be a good thing i guess so people could actually get there..but also an hour or two from the city for drivers would be nice as well.

where i live in N central lower pen of Mich..people drive here from the city (mostly Detroit area) to get away from people..they will drive 5 hours to spend 2 days in our area....nearly all of our neighbors bought the farms here as a second home to get away from the city on weekends and vacations and then future retirement.

my MIL died 3 years ago..sold their home to a detroit couple..she is a pilot and he works for gov..they come as often as they can to get out of Detroit..they come here and mow and work on trails and bbq..and had their entire 13 acre hidden fenced for the dogs to run (3)

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic finding the right place Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page