TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  3:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a farm in either state? I'd love to hear you crow for your state. Hubby has ok'd both for the site of our future farm. Based on cost of living and property costs, mild climate and general farming community life. Now . . . if we could just pay of some of our debt!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  3:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am not from here but I am currently stationed near Ft. Campbell, right on the KY/TN border, western side of the states, in Clarksville, TN. Cost of living here is not too bad though this is a very small town, older stores, not much selection but would have everything you need to farm. Nashville is 45 minutes away. Noticed many farms around the area, with the typical neighborhoods tucked in. Right now, we are having a cooler than normal period, hovering at about 80 during the day. I guess normal is around 85-90. It also has been a really rainy season this year. Other than that, I have only been here 2 weeks so many someone else can chime in. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

April
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

April
Knoxville TN
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:55:31 AM  Show Profile
I am in Knoxville, TN. Hopefully, within the next year I will own my own little farm, but we will move to Grainger County, TN. The land is cheaper there and it is peaceful. I am not sure about other parts, though.

April~
www.abbysweets.blogspot.com & www.aprilssewingroom.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  08:08:21 AM  Show Profile
Either sound good to me right now!! :) There are plenty of sites where you can punch in the town/ city of your choice and it gives the stats on the area (cost of living, school standards, religions, climate, etc.). Try Wikipedia or realtor.com. Maybe also findyourspot.com. Good luck, sounds just wonderful!!!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  08:11:03 AM  Show Profile

I haven't posted in ages but want to shout...We found our little farm we've been looking for on which to retire. Our closing will be in 3 weeks.

We purchased 39 acres, 14 of which are cleared and the rest are woods and a very nice 2 bedroom/2 bath house north of Bowling Green. The address is Caneyville but we'll be out in the countryside. For the next few years we plan on planting trees on some of the cleared areas and supplimenting the soil in the area where we'll plant a large garden. Until my husband retires, we'll use the house for long weekends and vacations. It took us a couple of years to find what we wanted but when we drove up the tree lined drive and turned the corner and saw the house, we knew that we'd found our home.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  10:29:07 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if this will affect your decision, but I think Tennessee does not have an income tax but Kentucky does. BUT, Kentucky's sales tax is much cheaper that TN's. I grew up in middle TN and went to college in KY, so I have spent alot of time in both places, and don't think you can really go wrong either way. It could just be the people I was with, but to me, Kentucky seemed more rural/country/neighborly/whatever than Tennessee. I mean that in a good way, the places I went to in Kentucky and the people I was around most of the time were more down-to-earth and farmgirl-ish if that makes sense.

Nancy~ You are moving to such a beautiful area!! I went to college in Bowling Green and loved it. You are close enough to Bowling Green or even Louisville and Nashville if you have the need for a city, but are smack dab in the middle of amazing country! Congratulations on finding your home!
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile
It is great to see this question. We are thinking about buying land in either KY or TN and have the same question. Looks like they are both good though. From what I've seen they are both really pretty compared to where we are now too.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:32:43 PM  Show Profile
Congrats, Nancy...make sure you come to Miss Wilma's in Knob Lick (also near Bowling Green) for the Autumn Gathering. Lots of KY girls (and not so close to Kentucky girls) will be there.

I love Kentucky. I'm born and bred here, and have lived most of my life here, give or take some years in NYC and England...but I came back home. Though I don't currently live on a farm, I know many who do, and the area around Miss Wilma,in Barren County was voted the "Best Rural Place to Live in America" for the year 2008. It's gorgeous, and land seems very reasonable there. I think, if I weren't planning on moving to Maine in our 10 year "get away plan" that I've move down that way. Close to Bowling Green, Nashville and Louisville, plus gorgeous country.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  10:24:13 AM  Show Profile
Hhmmm, seems I'm not alone being on the fence about these two fabulous states! So, I really appreciate all the opinions so far and would LOVE to hear more!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

homemom1fl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Chris
Palm Harbor FL
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  9:42:27 PM  Show Profile
KENTUCKY! About 4 years ago I was in the same place you are, deciding between TN and KY. Actually I had already decided on TN because I was coming from FL where there is no state income tax and liked that TN didn't have one either. I had online friends in both states and my in laws live in TN. I scoured the internet for land and made lots and lots of phone calls. DH and I went land hunting in TN a few times but didn't find what we wanted. One of my big things was a creek. I remember one snotty TN realtor saying, "Why do all of you Floridians think that every piece of land in TN has a creek on it!!!???" To make a long story short, I found a few properties in KY to look at and went there with a couple of my online friends to check them out. Came up with DH a few weeks later and fell in love with one of the parcels, 17 acres with mix of woods and clear and fronted a creek that was actually more like a river. We bought it and the day of the closing the seller showed us the property lines, we had only seen about 1/3 of the property and that was actually the worst 1/3. We even had a waterfall that we didn't know about. It cost us about 2K an acre. Last year we were able to purchase an additional 30 acres that joins our original piece and in March we purchased a used single wide trailer and had it put on the property. We aren't living there full time yet but boy I am there whenever I can get there. Love the people and everything about it. Also, we found out that while there isn't income tax in TN, the tax burden is lower in KY. Our place is in Green county and there are several Maryjane girls living there. Here is a good link to look at houses and properties in KY: www.kyhomes.biz

Chris
Farmgirl # 364

Please pray for Tracy
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tracykickscancer

Visit my blog at:
http://cedarrosebluff.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  04:31:23 AM  Show Profile
If I had to choose, it would be the western part of Kentucky. I just love it there. If I could convince the hubs to go, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  06:39:17 AM  Show Profile
We finally closed on our house in KY and spent a 4 day weekend there over Labor Day. What a Heavenly place! The only noise we heard was a cow mooing and the birds. The only lights were stars at night. We saw a doe and her fawn that live in a thicket very close to the house, watched a huge box turtle make it's journey across the meadow and even had to slow down for a weazel to cross the drive as we left for IN. We are SO LUCKY!!!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

piddlin sweetie
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Vickie
Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  7:17:19 PM  Show Profile
how about a shout out for good ole KY!

Seriously, Kentucky is slow paced and what i deem "lost back in time". There are many great areas all across the state but I am partial to the South Central area. Cost of living is low. The only question is how far do you want to be from a real City? We live about an hour south of Lexington.. The land is beautiful and right now there are many good tracts of land up for grabs almost everywhere....as for the weather.. there is a saying.. "if you dont like the weather today.... just wait it will change tomorrow" lol.... and thats pretty accurate...as for snow and bad weather.. seems Ky gets hit with a BIG one every few years but otherwise fairly moderate..

But I will have to say we take many trips to Tennesse we could very well live there... any area in the middle of Tennesse from the northern tip --south is beautiful... for example, Franklin, Chatanooga area..AWESOME.. and the weather.. well as one chatanoogan told us this past Summer... they panic if the weather turns cold.... so they have good weather... I could name many more areas...

But BOTH states are country, backwoods, and with many scenic views!! You really cant go wrong with either. Just figure out what you will NEED and then work from there.

Oh and if you drive about 4 hours.. you can pretty much see most of the best of KY and Tennessee... thats how we go to Tennessee alot... cant beat the Smokies either!

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  07:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
i have an elderly friend that lives in Bee springs KY that would love to sell her lovely home..it is just too much for her to keep up with..it is on wooded land..on a slope..near the caves

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Kentucky or Tennessee? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page