vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  09:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I burned out the 2 big burners on my stupid stove while I was canning. Neither of them will keep the canner going long enough to seal the jars and I have to keep moving the canner from one burner to the other.
I am sooooo mad. Just as I was gettin in the groove.
So, new parts will cost $150 and that doesn't include the service call so I am going to bite the bullet and have a gas line run and buy a gas stove.
Wow, talk about saving money by doing my own canning> LOL
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  09:36:25 AM  Show Profile
You will love the gas this is the first year to can on a gas stove it is so much faster and I think that the jars are sealing better cause I can keep a constant tempeture.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  10:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no Michele! That is not good! If the gas line and everything is too $$$ make sure you buy a canning burner to plug in during canning season! That way you won't keep burning out the stove.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  1:24:39 PM  Show Profile
ARRRGH! We have something else in common, the repairman just came yesterday and replaced my stove top (glass-topped stove)

I was canning tomatoes when it happened, the call center person really gave me a hard time, he stated that since I was using too big of a pot... So I jumped right in and said "Really? Did I say anything at all about what size pot I was using?"

The serviceman came out and he said the burner overheated. The funny thing was that it wasn't the burner with the canner on it that blew up, it was the one I was using to cook the tomatoes on, so I wasn't using an oversized pot at all - however, I had it on overnight on a slow simmer and after I finished one batch and started another I turned it up a notch, that is when it cracked. SO I did get it done under the warranty but he warned me not to do canning any more. Really! What good is a stove if you can't use it to can? Especially since I got it because of the oversized burner since I would be able to use it for canning!

I would also prefer a gas stove but would have to figure out where to put the LP tank, we can't get natural gas where we are.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  4:38:59 PM  Show Profile
I hate electric stoves just for the reasons you girls have stated, my house stove/oven combo is LP, my 8 burner/double oven in the canning kitchen is LP. I had an electric to begin with in the canning kitchen, bought it brand new, and killed it the first year, that was 28 (?) years ago, went to gas, and never have had a major problem.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  12:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have heard you can can on the propane camp stoves if you get a big enough one. I wonder if you could can on a propane grill?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OzarkFarmGirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Pam
Annapolis MO
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  6:17:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad I read this - I'm thinking about trading out my glass top electric stove for an LP, mainly because of canning! It's takes forever on the electric stove, glad to see you all talking about the same problem.

Keep It Simple!
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  03:50:41 AM  Show Profile
i have a glass top, and HATE it. I'm renting, but i would get an gas stove in a heartbeat.
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://site.naturemaiden.com/blog1/ (Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  04:22:36 AM  Show Profile
I hate my electric stove too!!!! And, it definitely does not do well for canning, at least for me. I've always had gas, but for now we are renting our big old farmhouse and the stove and wall oven are both electric.
If you can set up a an area outside you can buy a burner(we have the burner from our turkey fryer) that runs on propane. As long as it is out of direct wind, it should work fine.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I broke my stove!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page