True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  04:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies -

Now I really feel like "one of the gang". I canned for the first time last night! It was just a half bushel of tomatoes, but it's a start. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, so maybe I'll get brave and try something else. What else is easy to can for a beginner?

Thanks for all the advice you've given me about instruction books, etc. - it was a real help!

Blessings,
Luanne

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  05:57:10 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations! It feels like such an achievement, doesn't it? And tomatoes are not so easy--what a mess my kitchen is after canning tomatoes and salsa!

I love to can jam, though, admittedly my first attempt made jam "hockeypucks", but I KNOW you'll do better!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  06:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Yea, Luanne! How fun for you! I just learned how to use a pressure canner this year, and now there's no turning back! I like doing jams, jellys and pickles. They're pretty easy. And Mrs. Wages has a salsa mix that's easy, too, if you want to try that.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  06:04:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonni!

Actually, the mess from the tomatoes was nothing compared to when we extract and bottle honey. Now that is really a sticky mess!!!

Do you have a good jam recipe?

Thanks!
Luanne

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  06:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Luanne! Now there's no stopping her. Green beans are pretty easy, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:09:55 AM  Show Profile
I wish I could say I have an amazing jam recipe, but I just use the one on the back of the pectin box. Seems I got into trouble everytime I used on that I found online--so I just started "back to the beginning" and noone EVER complains :)

We make wild bramble jam (blackberries)...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  09:15:39 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to canning - the addiction that won't stop! Apples are real easy to can and make great pies. If your family likes pickled jalapenos that is an easy one, just remember to wear gloves when slicing them. You could also make tomato sauce. I could go on forever.......if you don't have the ball canning book go pick one up, there are so many ideas in it. Do remember if you can green beans they need to be pressure canned. Have fun.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  09:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lillian!

I couldn't find the Ball canning book locally, so I ordered one from their website. It should be here any day now. I think I'm going to invest in a pressure canner. All I have is an old graniteware one that I inherited. We are in apple country, so think I will try some for pies and maybe some applesauce too!

Luanne

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  6:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Help !!

I was so excited about canning for the first time (tomatoes), and put the jars in the pantry for 24 hours to cool with no draft, etc. Checked on them this evening when I got home, and several of the jars have quite a bit of empty space in the top above the tomatoes and they look kind of brown (burned?) What did I do wrong???? The seals appear to be tight, so are they safe to use?

Thanks,
Luanne

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  6:18:04 PM  Show Profile
congrads on your canning
I am sure you will love it.
My Mom and Grandmothers all canned.
I however don't because of health problems.
But,
I remember helping Mom.
All she canned was yummy.
I enjoyed seeing all the pretty canned food and fruits she use to can
I am glad your first time is a good one.
Keep up the good work. hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  06:44:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the club!

I want to see pictures of preparing the honey!
Go to Top of Page

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile
May I tag a question onto this thread? My first solo canning experiment yesterday was puzzling. It seemed the jars ('wow', 4 pints of salsa...not much compared to you experts!)didn't seal because they never pinged. At the end of the day when they were cool I refrigerated them to be safe and then planned to reboil the salsa today and just freeze it.

I don't have the Ball book but do have the Sunset canning book and by their testing methods, it did seal. However, I can see little air spots (that move around easily enough and go to the top if I jiggle the jars) along the side. They processed 40 minutes, what the packet recipe said. It was one of those Mrs. Wages salsa mixes. What do you experts think? Safe/unsafe?

This has been a very puzzling experiment and rather deflating to my budding farmgirl fun. I'll try to add a photo...http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30195204&id=1537268731&ref=nf

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/

Edited by - geminidream62 on Sep 06 2009 08:42:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  6:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Molly, do the lids pop up and down when you press on them or are they in a solid down position? That is how you can tell when they are sealed - sometimes mine ping when they are still in the canner so I don't hear them. And welcome to the forum "neighbor" - I work in Spokane even though I live out of town:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  3:34:28 PM  Show Profile
]

Molly, do the lids pop up and down when you press on them or are they in a solid down position?

Hi Amy (that's my sister's name!), the lids stay down...no movement. Like Mom always did I was careful to inspect the rims and seals well but that lack of pinging got me. Guess I was looking forward to that pretty noise. How strange that it can do that in the pot, good to know! And you don't think those little air pockets in the sides are any cause for concern? I'm hoping they just came about as the contents got jostled in the water bath as they processed.

Nice to 'meet' you neighbor! I live on the Northside of Spokane and work at Fairchild so you and I both log a lot of miles.

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  5:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Molly, sometimes there are airbubbles in stuff - typically in green beans and other real chunky stuff where air can get trapped. I haven't ever really noticed them in salsa, guess I'd have to look at it to be sure, but if your top sealed you should be fine.
Yes, lots of miles:D I put 33,000 miles on the car I bought in June of 08 so far, at least I've got the gas mileage going for me now!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  5:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!
I mostly make jam apricot, peach, blackberry and strawberry over 80 jars this summer. Guess what my friends and family will be getting for Christmas? When my grandma & I made applesauce when I was little we froze it. I was wondering with all my garden salsa couldn't I just freeze it as well? Looked in the canning books and all the veges in the salse can be frozen, can they all mixed up?

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  8:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Isn't canning fun and addictive? Even though its a lot of work the results are sooooo worth it. So far this summer I've done 11 1/2 pts. of plum butter and 5 pints of apple butter. I still have half a bushel of apples to make up yet. My garden is so small there is just enough for hubby, myself and our next door neighbor who gave us compost. We hope to expand a bit next yr. I really love the raised bed gardens. So easy to weed and no tilling.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  07:52:42 AM  Show Profile
Ditto on the raised beds, I wouldn't have it any other way! I do believe they hold the water better and here our well really appreciates that. I also used the oak wine 1/2 barrels for my tomatoes, you can screw 1x1's to the sides and you use string to make the cages. They hold up better than the wire ones. Then plant pretty trailing flowers under the tomatoes, functional and beautiful! Our apples are just starting to get ready. I love fresh applesauce in the winter. My grandma made the best apple rhubarb pie. My garden was just perfect size this year but, I do have plans to change things around a bit next year. I've only made jam, salsa and will make applesauce this year. I hope to be confident enough next year to maybe do other things.

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  03:52:24 AM  Show Profile
CONGRATS!
..canning is something i will try someday....i'm afraid i wont do it right and i'll poison my family with deadly bacteria, lol. I have books, but with all the projects i do now, i will wait a while to try canning.
connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://site.naturemaiden.com/blog1/ (Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My first canning experience! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page