therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  11:13:10 AM  Show Profile
I got a set of bamboo spoons from Pampered Chef too! I just love them. It was time to get rid of the old ratty ones I had been using forever.

http://stores.ebay.com/Rustic-Cottage-Soap-and-Spa
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  12:05:05 PM  Show Profile
You girls are good, I love your choice of wooden spoons. It's always good to hear positive feedback about PC products (we don't mind the constructive ones either, that's how we continually improve.)

Mary Ann, you are right about the bamboo products they are very durable and strong, and what's even better, the wood replants itself and grows so much faster than trees so it's easily replenished. I just read that bamboo is 16% harder than maple and 25 % harder than oak. I didn't think there was ANYTHING harder than oak. Uh, learn something new everyday. Is the board you bought a cutting board or a carving board? And how very interesting about sheets made out of wood. I never heard of such a thing. Can you share more about them, that sounds facinating.

The spoons are not suppose to stain, warp or split either, so they will stay nice for you, Kay.

Have a blessed day.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  6:54:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I never heard of such a thing. Can you share more about them, that sounds facinating.

Well, I looked on my sheets tag and it said the fiber is called Modal. These are 100% modal. I found this in the Wikipedia:

"Modal (textile)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Modal is a bio-based fiber made by spinning reconstituted cellulose from beech trees. It is about 50% more hygroscopic, or water-absorbent, per unit volume than cotton is. It is designed to dye just like cotton, and is color-fast when washed in warm water. Modal is essentially a variety of rayon.

"Textiles made from Modal do not fibrillate, or pill, like cotton does, and are resistant to shrinkage and fading. They are smooth and soft, more so than even mercerized cotton, to the point where mineral deposits from hard water, such as lime, do not stick to the fabric surface. Like pure cotton, modal needs to be ironed after washing.

"Modal is a registered trademark of Lenzing AG, an Austrian company specializing in textiles and fibers, particularly natural fibers made from cellulose. In the United States, pure Modal has begun being used in household linens such as towels, bathrobes, and bedsheets. Bed Bath & Beyond, for example, sells its newly-released Modal sheets under the name Pure Beech. Indian textile companies, in particular, have taken to Modal, and are expected to produce around 4000 tons of it in 2005."

I guess I got them at Bed Bath and Beyond, because the Pure Beech name is familiar. The texture is silky and suede-y at the same time, and they get softer and softer each time I wash them. The ones I have are a deep rich green. I'd like to go get some more! (But rest assured, I don't iron them.

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  7:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Here's a link to see some of the sheets:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=104324&RN=16

You might need to cut and paste.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  4:34:00 PM  Show Profile
WOW, WE WENT FROM WOODEN SPOONS TO SHEETS, TYPICIAL WOMEN!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

frontierlady
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

KY
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  07:17:00 AM  Show Profile
I'll help to get us back on track!

I use wooden spoons, cheap ones. After reading this post I went to
see what color they were. They were dark! I love my wooden
spoons!

I thought what would happen if my 1 year old took one or blah, blah.
So I went out and bought some more cheap ones. Boy were they bright!
That's ok. My cooking and when I make ice tea will help them
to darken.

Are we back on track now?

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  10:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Yes I believe we are. I have one of mine that farm girl Jeanie sent me in my big old mixing bowl to stir up the smell good fixens I got from farmgirl Rusty. so now the spoon smells good too. NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  8:43:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Horseyrider

Here's a link to see some of the sheets:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=104324&RN=16

You might need to cut and paste.

Thanks for the link. The sheets sound very comfortable. My son and his fiance are registered there for their wedding. I'm going to see if they have these sheets on their list. Who would have ever thought you could make sheets out of trees? Something else to put on my list of things learned today. Have a blessed day.

In His hands,
Lynda L>

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic WOODEN SPOONS Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page