Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic sour dough starter Next Topic  

dawndi-bird
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Dawndi

9 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ya'll !!!

I'm new to this forum. I just read Maryjane's book from the library and loved it!!! It is on my Christmas list!!

I am trying to make the sour dough starter from the book. I don't think it is working, however. It doesn't look or smell the way I think it should. I used my fresh ground wheat that I grind at home. Cound that be the problem. The starter is not bubbly as the picture in the book, but separates.

Dawndi-bird

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  2:54:31 PM  Show Profile
Is your flour organic, because will have a lot to do with how much yeast is on the flour. You see a lot of people believe that you get the yeast from the air. I thought this too once, until I was takin under a sourdough bakers wing. You actual get it from the flour or from the wheat berry. Just like the whitish powder on a grape - yeast, probably helps make wine. So you have to start with good flour. And really once you get it started it does everything else on it's own, well as long as you feed it everyday, becasue it is alive.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

dawndi-bird
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Dawndi

9 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  10:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa,
I have had company so haven't checked the site for a few days, but just got your reply to my sour dough question. It is stated in MaryJane's book that the yeast or whatever comes from the air around you. I wondered about that, but anyway, I by wheat by the 25 lb. bag and grind it with the Whisper Mill. My wheat is not new, but I have been told that it never goes bad. I don't know if it is organic, but I believe it is good quality. It started out like it should...being bubbly, but after a couple days it separated and smelled very bad. I wondered if it might have something to do with temperature. I kept my fresh ground wheat in the fridge as I was feeding it daily. It doesn't get too warm here in Idaho at this time of year so do you think that could be it? My dad always had a sour dough culture going when he was alive and I loved it! We lived in Phoenix,AZ so it was quite warm there for it to "cook". I was hoping to do this and make bread, biscuits and pancakes for my family.

Thanks for responding. Sorry I was late getting back to you.
Dawndi-bird
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile
I just mentioned in the thread about Susan's challah, that I'm working on MJ's starter also. It's very hot here, and I'm using King Arthur organic wheat flour and it seems to be doing great. I plan to mix organic white flour when I actually make the bread. I thought I'd like the blend.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  2:13:34 PM  Show Profile
Dawndi, If it is separating and smells like beer it is just fine! Mine separates and the top liquid is usually black. This makes the best sour dough bread ever!! If it has turned pink and has a sickly smell throw it out and start again. Sometimes it takes a while for it to develope its full flavor. Mine is very old in my fridge but I just keep feeding it and using it and I love it. It has a life all its own.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  9:53:41 PM  Show Profile
I just started my own sourdough tonight, I fed it and it looks like it's starting a happy little life.. quick question though, how long after feeding it am I supposed to refridgerate it or store it or whatever? after feeding it for a few days it's going to get huge, so I just wasn't totally sure if it will hurt it to store it in the fridge or if I have to use it right away and then just re-refridgerate the new starter part.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  10:19:43 PM  Show Profile
this site looks really helpful

http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  05:20:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Arlene! That website had a good recipe for sourdough. I start the little critter today...........saw your blog and WOW! AND yum! You've grown some beautiful squashes!
love kat
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  11:34:42 AM  Show Profile
I am trying MJ's starter recipe for the second time. It looks better this time so I am hoping. Thanks Eileen for your post, as strter that I had in the past would get the balck liquid and I usually trhough it out thinking it had gone bad. Now I know. Julia

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  08:17:54 AM  Show Profile
I read on the above link that the liquid we are speaking of is called "Hooch" That is so funny!!!

I made my 1st attempt of a starter last night, so I will let you know how it progresses!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic sour dough starter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page