Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Lots of Basil and Tomatoes, need a recipe!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Lots of Basil and Tomatoes, need a recipe! Next Topic  

mamasunshine
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Stella
Humboldt County Ca
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  08:13:41 AM  Show Profile
I just harvested a ton of basil and tomatoes from our garden. I'm looking for a tomato sauce canning recipe with lots of fresh basil, but can't find any. Any ideas? Or can I just make up my own and can it in the pressure canner? Thanks!

Juggling children and chickens while trying to find time to laze in the sun.

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  11:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Stella - I usually just add extra basil to my favorite tomato sauce recipes. Personally I would recommend that you freeze the basil in ice cube trays with a little water. Pop em out and store in a bag in the freezer. Then when you open up your canned sauce throw in an ice cube while you a heating it and the basil will melt into the sauce. Basil looses A LOT of flavor when cooked so you will get a fresher taste this way. It should always be added to sauces just before they are finished.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  1:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Page 4 in this forum...Farm Kitchen....Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce. I'm making some today and it smells wonderful!

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  2:13:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Julie on the basil. Most sauce recipes for canning purposes don't call for basil, oregano or parsley because they lose their flavor or even change flavor after being canned up for a while. Those herbs are best frozen or dried and used as needed.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Lots of Basil and Tomatoes, need a recipe! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page