kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  2:25:08 PM  Show Profile
I am so darn happy! I finally have a Kombucha mamma! I got it Wed. and made the tea Thursday. So in 10 days I will have tea for us to drink. I am so happy to have it. The girl I talked to about how to get it started told me when she was drinking it she had no acne. So I hope it will help my Dd. She has horrible under the skin acne alot due to strees and bad eating habits. Too much processed foods.

Anyway, I just wondered if any of you farmgirls have Kombucha. And does anyone know more about it and the benefits they've noticed? I would love to know more. I have googled and found some info but I would like to hear from some of you all.

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  2:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I know Alee does,I have wanted to get my hands on some. Just havent been able to. Let us know howit goes

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  3:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I love Kombucha! It's also a great detoxifier.Thats what I'm drinking right now.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
What exactly is kombucha?

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  3:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Kombucha ( pronounced Kom-BOO-cha) is a handmade Chinese tea that is delicatley cultured for 30 days. During this time, essential nutrients form like: Active Enzymes, Viable probiotics, amino acids, antioxidants, and polyphenols. All of these combine to create an elixir that immediatley works with the body to restore balance and vitality.

Kombucha also supports-
Digestion
Metabolism
Immune system
Appetite Control
Liver function
Body Alkalinity
anti aging
cell intergrity
healthy skin and hair.

G.T. Dave (the guy who started kombucha) began bottling Kombucha in 1995 after his mother's success from drinking it during her battle with brest cancer.

Hope this helps!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  7:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info Maggie. I'd not heard of this before. Very interesting. I love tea so might have to check this out.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  8:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Will let you know that Kombucha taste to some people like wine or vinegar. Its so good though!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  04:04:37 AM  Show Profile
After reading about it in Nourishing Traditions I've been wanting to try it. I did buy a bottled type from the health food store. I wonder if the natural/home fermented is better?

I just got the book Kombucha Phenomenon by Betsy Pryor & Sanford Holst from the library.

Where did you order your Mother from? I haven't looked into purchasing one yet - I'm working on yogurt & kefir right now.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  04:40:37 AM  Show Profile
This is the first time I have tried this. I got my mother from the farmer's market downtown Chattanooga. It is a mushroom looking thing that comes in about 2 cups of the original liquid. The girl I got it from said she'd e-mail directions but it was a few days later and I had to call someone else about what to do with it. I also looked on line. So many different ways.

So I was told to make a tea with about 6 tea bags. I saw that green or black teas are good. The lady I talked to said that it needs caffiene to work it. But I used green. Then add about 1 1/2-2 cups sugar. You can use succanot but it takes longer tfor the fermentation process. So you make enough to add to a gallon jug, preferably glass. and add to the mother. Oh, the tea has to be cool! Then cover with a cloth and rubberband and let sit 10 days. Now here is where it's kind of up to the individual as to when to use it. Do you want a sweet tea or the tangy vinegary taste? The longer it sits, the tangier it gets. And the more beneficial it is. Mine is still sweet after 7 days. I want the tangy tea.

Also keep it at least 75 degrees. And it will attract those pesky fruit flies by the thousands. It was driving me crazy so I had to put the jug out in the laundry room.

Also I thought there was a mold forming on the top of the mother so I took it out. It wasn't mold! In the book Wild Fermentation he says after a few days a skin will form on the top of the mother and that is the beginning of the baby Kombucha. So now I hope she makes another one. That's what you take off with about 2 cups of starter to give away.

When you are ready to use the tea, you strain all but 2 cups of the liquid and drink 4 oz. in the morning on an empty stomach. And you start all over with the same process.

I am waiting on mine to be ready. I have heard so many good things about this. But have also read that it has never been actually proven that this works and to check with your doctor and all that. But the girl I talked to said while she was drinking it she had no acne. I hope it will help my DD. She gets the under the skin acne that hurts so bad and swells.

Sorry this is so long. I was just so exited to see the interest in it. But it can be ordered or you can ask at health food stores or word of mouth gets alot of info, too. Good luck in finding it.

I'll have to go check out that book now, Deb. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 10 2009 04:45:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  05:12:16 AM  Show Profile
I really like the fizz

A certain company makes this and is bottled, so when i'm not in the mood to make our own, i'll buy a few bottles.

They come in a variety of flavors too. My favorites are the grape and another is spirulina. That is a green one that looks like you are drinking grass clipppings. It's still really tasty though.

And if you are already used to sipping apple cider vinegar, its not all bad.

I just can't drink it first thing in the morning
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  07:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love kombucha but ours got contaminated at our old house so I need to buy a new mother!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  09:11:23 AM  Show Profile
This sounds so interesting. I hadn't ever heard of it but now I am very curious. Please keep us posted on the progress and how it works for your Dd.

Hugs,
Zens Goddess
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  10:57:27 AM  Show Profile
I just got another e-mail from the girl I got it from. She said it will form another one. And she's even left hers on the counter to get fizzy with a lid on and it's formed another without the mother in the jar. So that's nice to know. She also said she'd give me another if I ever need it free of charge!

Now I wonder if I can change the tea to black if I have used green. Anyone know this?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  12:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Deb, I don't think theres any diffrence if you get it from the health food store or make it yourself.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  12:13:53 PM  Show Profile
ditto

Both offer the same benifits

one is just way cheaper as the one in the stores can cost close to 3-4.00 per bottle
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  07:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Kris,
Please put me on the list for adoption!
Let me know what the adoption fees will be!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  07:49:16 AM  Show Profile
I would like to get this for my 24 year old son. He has acne problems, especially when he gets upset. I'll check out our health food stores and see if I can find it. Thanks for telling us so much about it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  08:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
I had never heard of it but while shopping at Whole Foods yesterday, I bought a bottle of the citrus flavor. It really does taste like vinegar! I can't drink the whole bottle at one time so I take a swig a little at a time. LOL

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  10:35:44 AM  Show Profile
I just strained my tea and will start a new batch again. I found some Earl Gray black tea bags I'll use this time. There is a white thing on top of the mother and I am guessing that's a new baby. I have no idea how to ship it so I will get in touch with the girl I got it from and see what she says. I know I will need 3 for us. Because it will have to last 10 days and there will be 3 of us drinking it. It was fizzy when I poured it in the new jug. And has a slight sweet-sour taste. Not bad. But I was told to drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. So I will have to wait now til tomorrow. I love how it smells. And there are no fruit flies in the laundry room!

I hope ya'll can find some, but if not I will see if it's ok to give out Rachel's e-mail for ya'll to contact her about getting some from her. She's in Tennessee.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  5:37:13 PM  Show Profile
I love this tea .... mine tastes great and not like vinegar at all.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  6:02:14 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is so good for digestion! My husband gets acid reflux sometimes now that we are older and when he has this before bed he doesn't get the acid reflux any more! There is one we get called high country and even lower in sugar and no caffeine as some do.
They are my favorite drink. I love ginger and goji berry and aloe. They are my favorites.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Farmgirl sister # 34
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Kombucha Anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page