Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Pregnancy and the changing seasons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pregnancy and the changing seasons Next Topic  

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  2:25:54 PM  Show Profile
I have a pretty good sized sore throat and my ears are killing me accompanied with pressure headaches. I called the dr and she would like to put me on an antibiotic.
I'd really rather not, but I don't know what natural alternatives there are for me. Things that are not dangerous in second trimester are definitely a must. :D
Any suggestions to speed along getting rid of this seasonal nastiness?

hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  2:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
LOTS of water...clear liquid soups...warm/cold compresses...I is awful when you are pregnant and are restricted to what you can do. Don't get dehydrated...and of course, lots of rest.

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  6:26:34 PM  Show Profile
hehe..I can do everything but the lots of rest ;)
I think its funny that you were the first to post on this Heather. I've been thinking alot about you and Charlie lately. How are things going? How did he make out with his endoscopy?

(This baby is a Charlie too!)

Keep me updated girlfriend and thanks for the advice! Im headed for the warm compresses now. This sort throat is the worst part!
YUCKO!!

hugs

Jessie

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  6:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Awww. (((HUGS))) Charlie is good. No major problem found...just waiting on the biopsies to come back and see if it an allergy or something else.

I forgot to add, ginger...so yummy and I don't think it hurts the baby...just double check with the doctor. Warm water with honey and if you are up to it, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. I hope you get feeling better. : )

I love the name Charlie...for obvious reasons...but it is just a good classic boy name, ya know???

Heather

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  8:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Ask the Dr and pharmacist whats safe. I had to take anitbiotics because I got bronchitis when I was a few months pregnant. I also used this website to tell me more info about drugs during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

http://www.safefetus.com/Search.asp

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  04:22:21 AM  Show Profile
Lots of orange juice. it helps with the sore throat and also cuts the phlem.

their are some over the counter ear drops. Keep your ears nice and dry. Use the hair dryer on low to warm the up and dry your ears. it helps.

I have chronic ears and throat pain, but because of my kidney disease I am limited to medications. These are the thingsI have found helps. They are 'old wives' medicines, but i have had luck with them.

Headaches, drink water or Gatorade. 99% of headaches are caused from dehydration.

Good Luck
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  05:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Jessie,
Do you have fall allergies? My DD is 6 months preg. with her 3rd boy, and her allergies are giving here fits. i know that mine are worse in the fall than in the spring. you might want to talk to your Dr about what to take if thats what it is. I hope you feel better!!!

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  06:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Tina- It seems everytime the seasons change I get a bout of allergies to contend with. Fall is my worst because of everything dying and "dusting" and it not really being cold enough to kill the germs.
Our Fall has been crazy this year. Somedays it will be cooler like in the 60s and other days itll be in the 80s. You never know which day is going to do what. It's been rainy looking since Monday.
I finally had to break down and take an antibiotic. I like to breathe too much ;)
THanks for all the wonderful advice girls! It's so nice to know I can always count on you to lend an ear and help out!
hugs

Jessie

Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Hope you feel better real soon!!!!

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,

Hope you feel better soon!

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  1:29:30 PM  Show Profile
I use Liquid Silver (Colloidal) instead of antibotics. You can get it at the health food store. I used it for strep throat with I was pregnant. Here is a site for you to check out. I did talk with my Dr. first and he checked it out for me. You could have your Dr check it for you.

http://www.healthynewage.com/high-ppm-colloidal-silver.htm

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  10:12:28 AM  Show Profile
I was in the same boat as you are now. I eventually ended up taking the antibiotics even though I'm pretty much against them at all costs. I had just had that crud for over 3 weeks and it was NOT going away. No matter what I did. I think that I still have the lingering effects of it but the antibiotics did help. All I could take was the amox. since I'm pregnant.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  10:34:03 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know if its okay to use menthol cough drops during pregnancy? I've heard mixed thoughts on it, but I'd love to breathe even for the short time that cough drops would allow ;)

hugs

Jessie

Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  4:13:08 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the silver post. I use and sell Natures Sunshine and sell theirs and also sell it from the supplier American Biotech. You can take the liquid and make a spray to spritz your throat. Most health food stores carry American Biotech. This silver is a special process so there is not any of that turning blue stuff we heard so much about. It is not the same thing at all.
I would also suggest you look for herb teas from Traditional Medicinals. They have one just for expectant moms and I bet it would help with a sore throat too. Most herbs do double duty.
LaVonna

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com

http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  6:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks LaVonna. :)
I have some herb teas for expectant mommies. I didn't even think of using those, but a great idea!
hugs

Jessie

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pregnancy and the changing seasons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page