Page: of 6

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  06:12:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I found out about you because my husband is a hiker in the Grand Canyon and I picked up his catalog that he uses to order his "trail" food from. I found that real people and a lot of interesting articles in the catalog. So he would order the food year after year and I would take his catalog when he was done---and one day I discovered a web site address in the catalog and the rest is history! He's hiked across the Grand Canyon three times! He is getting ready to go again this fall with one of our sons and he likes MaryJane foods!

Be true in heart.

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  06:16:15 AM  Show Profile
That is wonderful Terre!! I don't think I ever welcomed you to the forum, so welcome!! I haven't had a chance to try MJ foods yet but I tried to place an order last night and was having problems with the ordering page. I've only heard good things about them. Glad your here!!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  06:41:44 AM  Show Profile
I haven't tried the food yet either, but I'm planning to order some for trips to the family cabin this summer. There's no running water or refrigeration, so cooking and cleaning up are quite a chore and I think some instant food in its own pouch is just what I've been looking for. Organic is a plus, and a magazine subscription that comes with the order...well, I think I can rack up a $50 order for that!

By the way, I found out about Mary Janes farm through the seven day diary she wrote for Slate magazine about three years ago. If you're not familiar with this, it's an online magazine on the MSN home page and from time to time they have an interesting person keep a journal for a week about what they do all day. Some of the other memorable ones I've read include a journal from a sketch artist, a rock musician, and a woman awaiting a double lung transplant (sadly, I found out recently that she died shortly after receiving the lungs). It's amazing to get a glimpse of other people's lives. It really shows, if you need to hear it, how many possibilities there are out there.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  10:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Amie! I look forward to trying MJ's food. A friend and I are planning to order together, to split the shipping. I want to try the chill over and brownines. Glad you found the site. Hope to see you posting. Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  11:21:57 AM  Show Profile
I found out about MaryJane and her farm through my mother - she had mentioned that there was a woman in Idaho that was running her farm in a way that was similar to how I was trying to make our farm be, and after looking up this website and ordering the magazines to peruse, I was hooked. I then was looking for even more input and information on women farmers, and I decided to attend a week of MaryJane's Pay Dirt Farm School, which has turned out to be really one of the most inspiring weeks I've had - bar none.

I suppose that, in short, what brought me to MaryJanes is that I was looking for a mentor and a place to bounce ideas of like-minded women. Lucky me!!! I found both in one place!

Terre - welcome, I think you'll really enjoy it here.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  2:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I just ordered the chill over powder and the brownies!! I can't wait to get them!!
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  3:56:31 PM  Show Profile
I found MJF in a magazine article and looked at the website, ordered some food, got hooked on the magazine and found all of the great farmgirls on this site! I enjoyed the convenience of the food and will definately buy some for camping this summer.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  7:16:12 PM  Show Profile
I discovered MaryJane's Book at a bookstore and adored it .. so, of course, checked out the farmgirl connection. been 'hooked' ever since! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  10:03:09 PM  Show Profile
I found MaryJanes magazine at BArnes and Noble (it was the ARt of the Egg issue) and was hooked from the start. Came home and ordered all the back issues available and havn't looked back. I am still loving it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  10:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Terre! I found MaryJane's website by searching for aprons on Google. This site is like a new friend that you relish spending time with because each moment you find something else that you have in common and enjoy.

I've yet to try her foods too but her bakeover idea is wonderful. I make my own from scratch versions.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  12:41:50 AM  Show Profile
I ordered the book through my book club, and the rest is history, love it here!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  08:09:31 AM  Show Profile
I came across the magazine at Barnes and Noble, too, Aunt Jenny. We had made a stop to get reading material for a road trip that we were going to take and the title caught my eye. I had never heard of her or the farm, but what made me pick it up was the fact that there was a woman's name in front of the word farm. I was intrigued and thought it would be a good read. Once we were on the road and I opened the magazine, I was so excited. I kept reading it out loud to my DH and carrying on about how awesome it is because it spoke so clearly to my heart as to how I would love to run a farm if I had one. And all the wonderful homemaker ideas that just fed my soul. Not that I could do it on her scale, but just the thought that there is a whole country of women who love what I love and I could connect with them made my heart sing.

My stepdad has relatives in Idaho and he and my mom were going out there to visit a couple of summers ago. I made a special request that if they were close to the farm if they would go and take pictures and then tell me all about it. They went above and beyond the request because it was about 2.5 hours away, but they made the trip and came back with a signed book for me. She was going to give it to me for Christmas, but when I went over to look at their pictures from the trip she said she couldn't wait and gave me the book early. I was as close to heaven as I could get while on here earth for that moment.

I have now let my niece borrow it and she is loving it, too. So I think I'm going to have to take the advice of a number of you and buy a few extra copies to have on hand for lending out, I want my copy to read again. It's one of the only books, next to the Bible, that one can never tire of reading.

And now, you all will have a hard time getting rid of me - I love it; the personal connections, support, encouragements, advise, hands-on experience and on and on and on - you all are terrific and I consider you blessings in my life. Thanks to Mary Jane for sharing her dreams and experiences.

God bless you this day always in all His awesome ways.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  3:03:29 PM  Show Profile
I found about Maryjane while on a "scouting" trip to northeastern Washington a few years ago. We were moving West after my husband's early retirement. I spotted an article in the Pacific Inlander in Spokane and was fascinated by the article and begain "googling" to find out more about her. Then I hounded the local Barnes and Noble in my then hometown and found the magazine. I feel lucky to have every issue including the Premiere issue. Ever time I pick them up to read I learn something new. Pre-ordered the book, went to the first Farmgirl campout and fell in love with the sweet people involved in Maryjane's Farm. Being from a big city it took me off guard to see how truly "unphony" they all are. Now I've become a small town girl who lives 3 hours away from the Farm and loving it. JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  08:32:12 AM  Show Profile
I found out about Maryjane purely by accident. I belonged to a bookclub for many years and finally decided to end my membership, but still had some points left to order a free book. I got the bookclub flyer and saw Maryjane's Farmgirl/Cookbook and read the intro and thought "hmmm, sounds good, I think I will order it". So I got it free from my points (just paid for shipping). Started reading it and wanted to check out the website and see what the products were all about. Found the Farmgirl Forum. Read some of the posts and thought this is like when I was kid on the farm, like coming home. That was almost a year ago and still loving it. Best group of girls I have ever met.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  2:44:21 PM  Show Profile
I found Mary Jane through a link from the Farm Chicks Show in Fairfield, Washington. Loved the Farm Chicks Show and thought since they were so good I thought that Mary Jane must be too. So I went and found her magazine in Walmart. I LOVED the photography and that is what really sold me. As a photographer myself I did so appreciate the warmth, clarity, and all around dreamy photos.
From there it was going to Farm Fair and then the book came about the same time, so I was hooked.
I love going onto this forum everyday...it is my new addiction!
I do not live on a farm nor have I ever. I am not that much of an animal person, well with the exception of my two birdies. But I love the crafting, vintage style, foods, aprons, decorating and just plain ol' downhome livin' I see here.
I am on pins and needles waiting for the next book and magazine, as all of you are.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

evahensley
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Eva
Centralia MO
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  05:02:52 AM  Show Profile
I first read about Mary Jane in a magazine article about (of all things) who would take Martha Stewart's place as a lifestyle guru when Martha was having all of her legal problems. I found Mary Jane very intriguing so I visited the local Barnes & Noble and bought her magazine. I could not put it down. Then, I decided to start my own business, a gift shop and gift basket company along with a florist. Mary Jane inspired me in so many ways. Living in an agriculture community, I have decided to bring Mary Jane's products and magazines into my store. Matter of fact - I plan on starting a Farm Girl Chapter in the near future. Mary Jane's wisdom and articles are wonderful - they are simple and easy to follow. I can't wait for the other books to come out. I market, market, market Mary Jane's website and books in my store. Also, I plan to order her foods to sell in our retail store.

Show-Me FarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  05:11:37 AM  Show Profile
i discovered MJ through her wonderful BOOK! xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  6:39:25 PM  Show Profile
I found Mary Jane through her art of the egg issue at my food co-op in Port Townsend and shortly after found I could get a nice supply of her foods at my co-op too. Been hooked ever since too and consider her one of my friends. I have met lots of wonderful people through this web site and lots of wonderful people during our visits and overnight stays at her wall tent bed and breakfast. Been inspired, learned a lot, accomplished a lot through the inspiration of others here and continue to grow in my understanding of what it means to live a sustainable and non polluting lifestyle. Love her book, have given it as a gift as well as her magazines. It was her magazine the art of the egg that finally convinced me that I could after all raise my own chickens!! Nothing to be afraid of and am loving every minute of it.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  04:59:14 AM  Show Profile
I found MaryJane through the Art of The Egg issue, too, and quickly orered all the back issues, and was lucky enough to get the first issue that is no longer available. It has been two years now, and I still check this site each day, and have made many friends here. The first time I posted, there were only a handful of women. Wow, look how it has grown!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile
It was the No Place Like Home issue that I found at Kroger last year. It caught my eye and I thought "Why not?" Well, why hadn't I found this before? From the minute I opened the cover and started reading I felt at home. It just resonated with my spirit. Who knew I was a farmgirl?I went back to Kroger and bought the last 2 copies to give to my sisters. It's funny, but I have never seen it anywhere else since, and no one has the new issue. (Except me- I ordered it from the farm!)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  5:53:05 PM  Show Profile
I found the book at the library and fell in love with it.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  2:07:15 PM  Show Profile
I found Mary Jane Butters through her book. My mother gave it to me. She said that when she read MJ's book, she saw me in the pages. She said I am a farmgirl at heart. What keeps me here? Well, the farmgirls. It is a way of life and a condition of the heart. I have made loving and true friends here. Mary Jane's is the town we all dream of living in. The neighbors who are loving and have their neighbors best interest at heart. This community is the way my grandmother and my mother lived. I no longer have to lament a lost way of life. That old-fashioned community is right here at Mary Jane's Farm!

Another reason? On my blog for today, I posted a little something that my daughter said that has convinced me that MJ's Farm communtiy is a great influence. If you get a moment please check it out.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/

Thank you farmgirls for everything! Also thank you Queen Bee Mary Jane!

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  06:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Georgann! The "Nancy Jo" apron is absolutely darling! What a lovely thing to do... Your sewing is just beautiful.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  07:34:08 AM  Show Profile
Libbie
Yes isn't that aunt George something? I love that apron, and I don't believe their are that many people that can say they have an apron named after them.
Congratulations Libby on your new MJ job. Are you able to do this all from home?
HUGS NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  1:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Nancy! Right now, I am so fortunate to be able to all of the things that I do from the farm. With a little guy and one soon to be here (I don't know if he's going to wait until the end of July!!!), it's important to me to be able to spend "mom" and farmgirl time here. Sometimes life just gives you a little hand-up when you need it, it seems.

And Georgann - your sewing is just such a pleasure to see. I made my first pleated instead of gathered apron today and you were the reason! I have previously been scared away from pleats, but I was inspired!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  1:34:05 PM  Show Profile
We all feel the same way, we pick up and then we can't put down.

me too!!

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What brought me to MaryJanes Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page