Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Warding off Winter Flu.... tips...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Warding off Winter Flu.... tips... Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2004 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Here's an interesting article. Nothing knew, but good information grouped together in one place... Here's to our winter health!!! Cheers!

Eat These Foods. Prevent the Flu?

From garlic to ginseng and sweet potatoes to shiitake mushrooms and broccoli to Brussels sprouts, there are numerous foods packed with just the right vitamins to boost the immune system, which can offer significant flu protection.

The American Cancer Society advises us to eat well to prevent many types of infections, not just the flu. Vitamins fight infection, but food is the best source of any nutrient--far better than a supplement.

Plan your grocery list with these infection-fighting vitamins and foods:
Vitamin C: Oranges, grapefruit, kiwi, berries, carrots, sweet potatoes, sweet pepper, tomatoes, spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts are packed with a powerful antioxidant that protects the cells of your body.

Vitamin A (as beta-carotene): Dark green leafy vegetables and winter squashes contain beta-carotene that can protect against cell damage and may enhance immune system function.

Vitamin E: Avocados, nuts, seeds, and wheat germ, as well as tuna, herring, mackerel, and other fatty fishes help make white blood cells that fight infection.

Selenium: This is an antioxidant that protects your body's cells and is found in baked potatoes with the skin, tuna fish, pork loin, eggs, turkey breast, wheat germ, and cashews.

Vitamin B-6: Bananas, salmon, chicken, sweet potatoes, watermelon, and spinach are rich in this vitamin that not only fights infection, but also helps produce hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells.

Organic yogurt: Eat this most days of the week. The yogurt's beneficial bacteria helps maintain the integrity of the intestinal tract, which enables the immune system to fight off infection.

Mushrooms: Twice a week add a handful of mushrooms to your stew, stir-fry, and soup. Best types for protection against bacteria and viruses are shiitake, oyster, enoki, or maitake mushrooms. Remember, always cook mushrooms.

Garlic: Eat it raw. Two cloves a day is best.

Water: Drink, drink, drink. Drink 48 to 60 ounces of water every day and drink green tea or black tea most days of the week.

Exercise: Research at Appalachian State University shows that walking 30-to-45 minutes at least five days a week (every week!) can cut the number of sick days from cold symptoms by 50 percent compared to a sedentary control group.

The above suggestions were culled from several sources including the Associated Press, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ABC News, Detroit Free Press, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, and Asheville Citizen-Times.

[/navy]

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2004 :  3:40:54 PM  Show Profile
You are always looking out for us, thanks Clare! Am firm believer in garlic and elderberry. Here is a link for your consideration;www.elderberry.net

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2004 :  5:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Here's something silly we teach the kids but it certainly made a difference last year:

Wash your hands both night and day
Healthy and clean we want to stay
Keep your fingers away from your face and nose
Please remember to sneeze into your elbows!

Kooky? Absolutely, but we had fewer staff and students out than any year prior! If it works for the K-3 set, why not us?!!!
Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2004 :  5:21:55 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I also use elderberry - can't get it fresh, so I use the capsules, and syrup in water. I use a lot of garlic, onions, green veggies in general. I just started taking something called holy basil (capsules) - had a difficult time finding it. It is supposed to help you fight stress and in general, your immune system.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  2:31:51 PM  Show Profile
I was going through past threads and found this one. Thought it would be a good one to revive since we're going into the cold and flu season. Thanks Clare for sharing this info!

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  4:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Clare, great info. Thanks, With so much going around everything we can do is helpful. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  5:55:19 PM  Show Profile
I have one daughter working in the hospital, one that's a medic with the fire dept and one that works in busy retail...I'm a big baby...got my flu shot today!
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  8:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Neti Pot, Neti Pot, Neti Pot! If you do a search, there are other threads about the Neti Pot. I promise you it's the best $12-$16 you'll ever spend! In a past thread is a link to a website that explains all of it's benefits. Since I started using one 2 years ago I have literally made it through the flu season without a serious cold or flu. It also helps with headaches, sinus pressure, allergies, and if used daily...can help with your vision. I use mine daily, when I brush my teeth in the morning & at night. I don't want to be a broken record, but they're great.
Also, adding cayenne pepper (if you don't like it, or think it's too spicy, even trace amounts are helpful) to recipes (even sweets!) is extremely beneficial. I start my day off with a cup of hot water, honey, fresh ginger & cayenne. This activates your sinuses, cleanses & boosts your immune system. I drink this first, before my tea or coffee, every morning & it's really yummy.
One last thing...i make a wonderful soup called "Kick Your Cold in the Butt Soup" My family, friends & hubby swear by it. It freezes well, and most importantly ....is easy to make (which if you are cooking for yourself, and are sick with the flu, is very important) Let me know if you'd like the recipe.
Love and warm hugs,
Judes

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com

Edited by - Judes on Nov 17 2005 9:01:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  07:44:33 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Jude, post the recipe. Better to make a batch sooner than later!
P.S. Got your reply in "Chicago area farmgirls" section. Thanks for replying. Are you considering a move here?
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2005 :  09:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Neti pot......I have access to buy one and have read up on them. I suffer from migraines, so this might be a good idea. We also live on a dirt road, so dust(which I am highly allergic to) is always present.

At work we have started bringing animals into barns and paddocks for the winter. The alfalfa dust in the stalls is unbearable and animals will be off exhibit until spring.
I most assuradly wear a dust mask. Scary how you can see what MIGHT have been breathed in!

I'm a little reluctant though, since the sensation might be like getting pool water up your nose?

But believe me, if something so unassuming works so well, I'll be adding this to my christmas list this year!
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  09:36:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for this thread. I'm battling a sore throat right now and laryngitis (I'll try to not holler at ya'll...haha). Does anyone have any tips to help deal with this? Thanks!

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Go to Top of Page

cherryhillhouse
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Barb
Dorr MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  11:17:34 AM  Show Profile
I use a Chinese herb (supplement), astragalus, at the first sign of feeling run down or a bit out of sorts, and within a day or two, it really perks me up. Warm liquids (herbal tea, soup, etc) are also dynamite for knocking out those respiratory viruses as the heat inactivates the virus cells according to the scientists. There's a tea in the health food stores called Cold Care that is super as well. I can't have flu shots due to allergy so I spend the cold and flu season washing my hands, taking astragalus, eating shiitake mushrooms and garlic, exercising and being sure to get plenty of sleep. Knock on wood, I haven't had the flu but once in 6 or 7 years. I'll be checking out the elderberry - always good to have more things to try.
All good things - Barb

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  5:44:40 PM  Show Profile
I drink hot lemon and fresh ginger tea. Alot of Echinacea and zinc to keep away the cold bug. I haven't got sick yet this winter,PG, but the other three warm bodies in the house has. I just learned about elderberry the other day,looking into it like Barb.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  06:04:18 AM  Show Profile
My DH and I swear by Colloidal silver..I brew it myself..also if you have even a slight inkling of sickness..avoid white sugar..it really does feed viruses, and regular consumption of fish oils build the immune system..especially the respiratory system..those are some of the things we do to try to keep from gettin sick..plus we wash, wash , wash our hands..and when necessary..sorta isolate ourselves..mostly from our kids and grandkids...and being out in the public when something nasty is going around..its hard..but my hubbie has a chronic health situation which warrants extra precaution during cold/flu season I'm with Julia on the "Ginger brew" tea..I make a pot with fresh ginger, lemon juice and some honey..it's awesome. Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  8:43:02 PM  Show Profile
I am just getting over a cold that could have lasted alot longer and been much worse. My dh ended up on meds but I am taking herbs: elderberry 3 times a day along with echinacea and garlic. I got sick last Sunday and I am feeling almost 100% this Sunday. Dh didn't like the elderberry plus he is already on so many daily scripts that I don't really push him to try much. Don't know how herbs may interact with his meds.

I think another thing that may have helped me is that I have been on the South Beach Diet for the last 3 weeks. I am a firm believer in the fact that infections and viruses feed off the sugars we put in our bodies. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  9:20:24 PM  Show Profile
I really need to write all this down. I have had such a hard time with cold and flu..especially chest congestion this past year and I am just tired of it. I got over it awhile back and this afternoon I realized I was wheezing a little again..jeesh! I hope I was just tired. I am going to attack it early on if I do start getting it again. I found alot of help from some things from Blue Egg Babe...she has wonderful stuff!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  03:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Some other things to keep in mind. Shopping cart handles and door handles of any type-especially bathroom. Use a sleeve to open. As soon as i'm finished shopping and start the car, I'll douse my hands in hand sanatizer. Haven't been sick so far,(wasn't sick at all last year :) and I share a barn (at the zoo in NC) with 7 other people. Phones and teller machine buttons are another culprit. Wash hands!! And, if all that washing makes 'em dried out and cracked, that's just an excuse to slather on some Burt's Bees. Since our office is cramped, I'll swab the phone and phone jack with alchohol. I'm not a germ phobe, just someone who doesn't believe in sharing germs........especially when it is so preventable.
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Our family is so healthy, but this month we've been plagued by a bug that has spread all over town. Starts out with a sore throat, tight chest, moves to a deep cough, achy feeling, then a bad headache for 3-5 days. Then it just lingers. It's been about 3 weeks for me - I have a burst of energy in the morning and then fade as the day goes on. Some days we wake up feeling great and then the next we're having a relapse - like somebody pulled my plug.

Boy, a week at the beach sure sounds good right now!

Polly

www.favoriteapron.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Warding off Winter Flu.... tips... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page