jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  5:34:29 PM  Show Profile
I went, I loved it, and it brought back so many childhood memories. I have posted on my blog about the fair, and I will continue to post things for a few days.

I gotta tell you, as we drove north into Springfield, and then further into the Rockford area, the corn was the absolute best I have ever seen! And the soybeans! It is a great crop this year, and the farmers are ecstatic.

There is nothing I love more than driving through that land and seeing for miles and miles, barns, farmhouses, green crops.....the Lord has blessed this country big time!

I wish I had taken more farm photos, but check my blog anyway! (It is hard to stop on the road with the camera.....so I missed those opportunities). Darn!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  5:45:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to our local Benton/Franklin County Fair either tomorrow or Thursday. It is the same thing every year, but I love it. Love the sights, the smells, and especially the food. Fair time is definitely not diet time. I'm looking forward to it! Elephant ears, yum yum.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  04:11:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm jealous! We weren't able to make it to the fair this year.

We have gotten some great corn at farm stands the past few weeks. Things were a bit touchy this spring - we had some really cold weather. But it seems everything has worked its way out and farmers are booming! Hooray!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  04:19:13 AM  Show Profile
Yes, fair time is no time for diets. There are barns and buildings full of fresh produce and canned jars and garden exhibits, and out on the streets you can find corndogs, pretzels, and best of all, deep fried oreos.....yum.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  06:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie- Your pictures look wonderful. I have never gotten to go to the state fair always too much going on this time of year with the garden and getting kids back to school. Where else did you visit in Illinois? I'm just an hour southwest of Rockford. I would have to agree it is very picturesque driving thru the fields this time of year!!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  06:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie, my mother's sister lives in Rockford and when we visit, we always try to time it with the county or state fairs. They sure know how to do it!!! And yes, she said the corn there, this year, is absolutely incredible. Beats last year's all to heck!

Looks like you had so much fun--I sure loooove a fair and can't wait to take Violet.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  06:56:19 AM  Show Profile
I love our fair. It is called the mini OH State Fair because it is supposed to be the next best thing. It is in late September & they close the schools county wide here. It is always cool & crisp at night, still warm in the day, but not sweltering. I always walk in the parade with our church & you would not believe the amount of people that gather for the parade. THe first year my hubby walked with us, he was flabbergasted at the crowd. IN 2001, right after 9/11, our church had a float that was playing God Bles the USA, & we got bottleneckewd at one point & the WHOLE crowd was singing along. SO neat. Can't wait, only a few more weeks!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  06:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, Lisa...I love that fair--also Highland County. That's a good one, too. Maybe we can meet up for that...Violet would LOVE to see the cows :)

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  5:18:07 PM  Show Profile
We visited Springfield (my home) and Rockford (hubby's home) and many points in between. Actually his dad lives in Cherry Valley, very close to Rockford. There is a great quilt shop there on an old farm. , We stayed in Paducah, KY the first night and then drove the length of the state up and back on our trip. Many small towns, and country roads. HOME! Stopped at a great little junk/antique place in Benld (pronouced Beneld). It was once and is still called the Coliseum, the floor still has basketball lines painted on it, it has a stage and a balcony, and a place to open for refreshments to the outside. GREAT building in a small town. Now filled with treasures. I bought an old sewing machine drawer to use for letters on my desk, and we got the best sweet corn there!

At the state fair I bought local clover honey, 2 baskets, and of course we got free yardsticks!

In Rockford, we ate twice at the Stockholm Inn, famous for Swedish food and breakfasts. It was really fun.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  05:46:42 AM  Show Profile
We always went to the IL State Fair when I was a kid. My dad loved looking at the hogs, his father was a hog farmer. I enjoyed the 4-H displays, especially the table settings. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip, can't wait to see the pictures.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  07:12:41 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to ask Aunt Sharon about those places you've mentioned. Now that she's retired (from the job she moved there for in 1965!) she can see more in her town! I always thought Rockford was a lovely town, but there's not much there anymore as far as industry. Did you know it has one of the largest collections of Arts and Crafts era Bungalows still in original form? Never been remodelled or altered for space? It's actually the neighborhood over from where my Aunt lives. Really neat!

So nice that you got to visit Paducah, also. It's a great arts town--sounds like a wonderful trip, and I love what you bought at the fair--free yardsticks always mean good times!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  1:52:12 PM  Show Profile
I love the Illinois State Fair! Jeannie - your description of the corn and soybeans makes me so homesick. When I was growing up in Illinois we would go several times during the Fair. How fun!! Love the corn dogs and lemonade shakeups!

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  5:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Kay, I thought of you so often as we wound our way up Rte. 4 through Virden and Staunton and all the towns you know so well!

No one commented on my blog, but I hope you all go and look anyway! I will post another photo tomorrow.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 28 2009 6:01:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:28:22 PM  Show Profile
You know how I love that area! I'm homesick to see it - sure wish I was in driving distance. Maybe next summer! I'm off to see your blog and enjoy through your pictures.

It wouldn't be the fair without free yardsticks and the butter cow!

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Aug 28 2009 10:31:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  4:31:41 PM  Show Profile
I will add as long as I have pics. Wish I had taken more. I just added another one.

Jonni - I did not know that about Rockford, although as we drive around town, I certainly see a lot of wonderful bungalows, and even many farmhouses in the area are bungalow style. Ask your aunt if she eats at the Stockholm Inn. It has swedish food and a great swedish gift shop, and is decorated like the paintings out of Carl Larsen's turn of the century books.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 30 2009 02:18:57 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Illinois State Fair Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page