Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Is this a crazy birthday request?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is this a crazy birthday request? Next Topic
Page: of 2

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  10:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Really I don't get it. My birthday is next month and my mom and my sister have been at me about what I want. They say I'm hard to buy for. I don't think so. Ok so I'm not in the habit of telling people what I want. I'm just one of those kinds, that if I want something I go and get it.

So anyway I thought about it a minute. To see if there was something I have been wanting and have put off buying since money has been tighter. This is what I came up with: an apple slicer, a couple of nice pearing knives, some new cookie sheets and a loaf pan or I summed up into: some new kitchen gadgets.

They seem to look at this as NOT a birthday gift. Maybe not so much my mom, but my sister. My sis is telling me to come up with something better or she's going to go spend like $100 on this membership to the jazzercize program she goes to and that's what I'll get for my birthday. Ok yes I need to workout. But jumping and dancing around in front of a bunch of women I don't know and being the size I am-- ummm NO this is NOT happening! I told her I would really rather she didn't do that. First of all because she cannot afford it and second of all because I wouldn't use it.

Did I make a silly request for a birthday gift? Maybe I'm crazy but I'd like to have something that I'll use rather than something that sits in the closet collecting dust.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  11:10:55 PM  Show Profile
Well I don't think it's a silly request at all. I see nothing wrong with practical gifts...in fact I think they are the best kinds of gifts! Especially when it's something you can use often and makes life easier.
The first Christmas we had our farm, my brother bought me a hay fork. It was supposed to be somewhat of a joke, but he was quite pleased when I loved it!
I have friends who get spa/pedicure/manicure gift certicates that I wouldn't give you a thank you for. It's just so not for me. I got a Lee Valley gift certificate for Mother's Day this year and I was thrilled! One of the first things I bought with it was a berry picker. I love it!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  03:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I don't see anything wrong with your birthday request at all. When you reach a certain age I think birthdays start being more about asking for things that would make your life easier. We lose that little kid aspect of gee I want a dolly to play with. It starts to matter more about things we will use and need. Christmas is a bit the same way. People will say a vacuum cleaner or washer/dryer aren't good gifts but I remember my very first Christmas as a new wife. My hubby bought me a washer/dryer and wrapped them while I was at work on Christmas eve. I came home, went to take the dog out and there they sat all wrapped up in gift wrap. I cried buckets. I couldn't have been happier. No more trips to the laundry mat in freezing cold weather. Explain again to your family why these gifts will make you happy. Hopefully, they'll get it.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  05:35:35 AM  Show Profile
It's your birthday and you should get what you have asked for. Explain to your sister, that you will smile and think of her every time you take out her gift kitchen gadget and use it. I've a pair of 3" long bolt cutters for several years now, and every time I use them I remember my son being nice enough to get me what I asked for one Christmas.

When you free your mind your heart can fly.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  07:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think you made a great birthday request! They asked YOU what they wanted...when it's their birthdays you can get them the Jazzercise if that's what they want! LOL I wouldn't use the Jazzercise thingy either. Not my style I guess.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  07:32:04 AM  Show Profile
One year for Christmas, when I was living on my own, and not making much money - I asked for (and happily received) a case of toilet paper, a case of paper towels, and a case of fancy mineral water!

So no, I don't think your request is a bad one. It's your birthday, and since they asked, you should get what you want! Happy birthday!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  07:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday! I hope you get what you want instead of what they want for you...since they asked.

I agree, we all get to where we dont always need all the bells and whistles. Finding things to make our lives easier is awesome. And if it made you happy...well isnt that what a present is supposed to do? Make the recipient happy?
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  09:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Practicl gifts are the best kind, especialy when it is something we asked for to begin with. "Jazzercise", not me, I get more than enough "Exercise" everyday right here on my ranch/farm. Tell your sister if she doesn't want to give you what you asked for, give you a giftcard, then you can go get what you want/need yourself.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  09:36:51 AM  Show Profile
I think practical gifts are the best. I gave my best friend a pepsi glass and pepsi once and to this day she uses the glass daily and happily thinks of me. She is tiny and would of hated any exercise anything. I always give my mom papertowels and she loves them also. I love getting practical gifts. Tell your sister you want the no burn cookie sheets. They cost more but are wonderful.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  10:18:23 AM  Show Profile
I think thats a great gift idea. I do that all the time when someone asks me I tell them what I want and it is usually things like that. Those nice little gadgets that you want but won't necessarily get for yourself. I love that!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  10:54:28 AM  Show Profile
I was looking at my neice's birthday pictures from a year or so ago and I said, "Is that a Kitchen Aid mixer?" My sister looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Yeah, that's what she said she wanted, so that's what he (her hubby) got her. Can you believe that?" I told her I would be tickled to death to get one and that's what I've told my hubby I want for Christmas.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  2:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Asking for kitchen stuff for your birthday is fine - if cooking is your thing and you could use them then that is what they should get you. I asked for a few good knives for Christmas one year and my Mom & Dad got me a whole set along with the butcher block knife holder for them. I was thrilled. DH got me a kitchen aid mixer one year. I got a copper bird bath last year for my birthday from DH and it was exactly what I wanted. It is whatever makes you happy, not the giver.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I think what it is with my sister is she doesn't see it as "gift worthy" if it doesn't mean spending a big chunk of money. I don't see the sense in that. It's just really hard to explain to her that to me it's not about the price tag it's about the simple thought. But I talked to my mom again today and I think she's got it now.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1704 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1704 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  6:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I think that practical gifts are super. Anything for the kitchen would be great. Your Mom and sister asked you and you told them what you really want. It's not how much the gift costs, it's the thought that went into buying or making it.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'd be excited about some nice paring knives. Especially if they had those easy grip handles! :) And they did ask. And you did tell them. My birthday wish for you is that they respect your wishes.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Well, I think you're asking the wrong (well, right!) group of girls--of course we all agree--we looove this stuff! I have asked for the same type of things for *gasp* Christmas from my dh. He made it really special by putting vintage cookie cutters and vintage cookbooks in my stocking in addition to the utlitiarian things I requested.

Most people think of birthdays as the one day to splurge on yourself and go get a mani/pedi or something like that. Farmgirls just think a little differently :) Why don't you ask them for a gift cert. to a cooking store (like Williams Sonoma, or Macy's Home Store, or whatever or even online cooking places), you can get what you want and they don't have to feel weird about it!

For my anniversary gift, I asked for a ball wool spinner for my knitting...heck, it was $41 bucks I'd NEVER spend on myself!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  2:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I told them I would ask for fabric but knew that would be a definate no. Too funny Jonni! I didn't realize what I had done until I hit the submit button. Then I thought, 'Yeah the girls are gonna pick my side!" LOL I've also had the thought that if my sister asks me again, I may just tell her I want a bucket of roof coating and for her to get up on my roof and patch the couple of little spots that like to leak when it rains. I think then she might not see much of a problem with the kitchen things. hahahhaa

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  2:31:40 PM  Show Profile
I don't see anything wrong with that-after all,it's your birthday,not theirs! My b-day request was to get my mandolin set up properly (which was done!) saved on wrapping something up and I now have a very beautiful sounding instrument!

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  10:26:12 AM  Show Profile
I think they would be wonderful birthday gifts! Of course, you have to stop and consider that I've asked for a galvanized bucket, some cypress boards and other crazy stuff for my farm and garden! Ooh, Sherrie! You got a GREAT gift!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  05:37:15 AM  Show Profile
I think your request was great. I love to get things I need or use. My mom always wants me to make a christmas list so I do and then she fusses cause I dont put anything precisely for me. Well I see it as it is for me like one of the other girls said, my list includes towels, kleenex, energy saving bulbs, toothpaste ans ect. But I do use each one and it saves me money in the long run so I feel like its for me in more than one way. So hey if they dont want to give you something you want for the kitchen maybe they can just give you a gift card and you can go get what you want yourself! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  06:42:25 AM  Show Profile
Not at all! I have always wanted the same kind of gifts you are requesting.

I remember even as a child when it would be on cartoons or sitcoms that the wife would be mad that the husband bought her things like you listed or a vaccuum she would be mad it wasn't jewelry or what ever. And I would think, what? What's wrong with that gift. After a few years, I finally concluded once I grew up maybe, I would understand. Hmmm, I turned 21 and still didn't understand why they were mad! lol So I concluded, hmmm maybe once I'm married I'll understand. I've been married 10 years, and for my anniversary you know what I request you guessed it, kitchen equipment! My husband knows I want a kitchen aid mixer! lol hahaha And I won't be upset if that's what he gets me!

I'll tell you though the first three years of our marriage I endured jewelry as gifts. lol I would smile and say thankyou. Then by year 4 I said, honey, I can only wear so much jewelry, I would love a new toaster oven though! lol hahaha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  5:48:50 PM  Show Profile
I think the practical gifts are best too. However, if someone really wants to give me something 'special', I'd prefer to have something I could/would use but maybe put off buying for myself. Like a bit or headstall that I ogle but can't spring for it myself or clothes or even a really, really good haircut/coloring.

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

geecheegirl2004
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Patricia
Melbourne Florida
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  07:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Send geecheegirl2004 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by melanie47601

Really I don't get it. My birthday is next month and my mom and my sister have been at me about what I want. They say I'm hard to buy for. I don't think so. Ok so I'm not in the habit of telling people what I want. I'm just one of those kinds, that if I want something I go and get it.

So anyway I thought about it a minute. To see if there was something I have been wanting and have put off buying since money has been tighter. This is what I came up with: an apple slicer, a couple of nice pearing knives, some new cookie sheets and a loaf pan or I summed up into: some new kitchen gadgets.

They seem to look at this as NOT a birthday gift. Maybe not so much my mom, but my sister. My sis is telling me to come up with something better or she's going to go spend like $100 on this membership to the jazzercize program she goes to and that's what I'll get for my birthday. Ok yes I need to workout. But jumping and dancing around in front of a bunch of women I don't know and being the size I am-- ummm NO this is NOT happening! I told her I would really rather she didn't do that. First of all because she cannot afford it and second of all because I wouldn't use it.

Did I make a silly request for a birthday gift? Maybe I'm crazy but I'd like to have something that I'll use rather than something that sits in the closet collecting dust.

Melanie

ConsciousLivingPartnership, Conscious Living Space, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

geecheegirl2004
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Patricia
Melbourne Florida
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  07:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Send geecheegirl2004 a Yahoo! Message
Heavens no! That is not a strange request. It is your birthday, you get to choose if someone asks. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I am new to the space but have followed MaryJane for a while in the mag. One year my family who never seemed to know me well enough to buy for me!? said we don't know what to get you for anything, so what I did was start a picture request and posted it on my refrigerater. I made comments like must have this brand. Ok to choose any color, any size etc. Do you I got everything on that paper that I wanted. It was the best. Take care. geecheegirl2004

ConsciousLivingPartnership, Conscious Living Space, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  07:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I think it is the perfect request~ especially since it is your day.. and that is what YOU want. :)

Rene'Groom
Sister #185
Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  09:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I think your request was reasonable and wonderful! If they don't want to buy specifics for you have them purchase a gift certificate to Williams Sonoma, Macy's or some other great store that carries a lot of housewares so you can get everything you really want!
Geez, I ask for this stuff all the time. Williams Sonoma has great cookie sheets, super durable and they go on sale for about $17.00 every now and then.
Have fun!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

www.mylusciousjourney.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is this a crazy birthday request? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page