Page: of 2

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  10:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Kris, Yes it is a pelleted feed for goats.
Right now my brother and I are working on building a little shed for my buck because he is, well you know.

they are getting grass and brush but I have to go pick it for them. I'm wanting for my brother to move there outside pen.

And they do have free choice of hay at all times.

When I got them they had all ready been wormed. So I will worm them again in the fall.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  11:45:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Maggie
I am with Kris - I do not feed grains except for those girls who are expecting and a senior - 21 years old and going strong. It is a blend I make and I agree on corn - especially if you do not know the source of the corn...

You never want a fat goat and especially a billy. In fact, I was looking at my two and three year old guys today and they are round and happy just on what they find in the pastures which is good mixture of native grasses, weeds, herbs, low shrubs and even some great native flowers.... Mineral are important if your land is lacking my guys and gals will on occassion lick rocks and eat dirt when they feel the need. I have one billy who loves licking the pine trees - funny to watch and it is like candy to him.

Good luck and I might suggest just doing some research for your area - the mineral, weather and local sources of feed...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  6:16:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace. It's always nice to have more experienced people on these posts answer questions. I know a little but not near enuf. I had a friend call a few nights ago about a 2 year old doe they had just gotten a week ago. She had miscarried a few months ago and when they got her she had scours. They got that under control but now she can hardly stand up. She eats a little but just can't stand. So I called my goat mentor and she mentioned worms and lots of other theings I had not thought of. She finally called and talked to them and got them on the right track. I saw her yesterday at the feed store and she was loading up on all kinds of stuff. And the doe was somewhat better and eating more. So it helps to have a goat friend handy at all times. And a good vet on speed dial, too!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Aug 26 2009 6:17:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  08:29:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris,

So what is the reason this doe was not standing??? Was it a reaction, pinched nerve, heat??? I am always wishing to learn and like you said we never stop..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  11:12:11 AM  Show Profile
I am not sure yet. I'll call her later to see what caused it. She did say yesterday that they got her up and outside then went to go do something and she was gone. She took off out in the yard to eat! I'll let ya know. I'm always interested in what causes things, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  05:37:45 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I talked to my friend last night. She had the vet out and she took fecal samples of all the goats and she really isn't sure what was wrong with the doe yet. She was up and eating good yesterday. She said the guy she got the doe from just fed corn. And she was about 2 weeks away from kidding when she had the still birth. She was not milked at all so it could have had something to do with that. But she's being pumped with all kinds of drenches and minerals and vitamins and good food. So she is in a way better place right now. If she makes it she'll be a very spoiled goat girl for sure. That's all I know for now. I think corn is not a good source of nutrition at all and might be a lot of the problem here. I try to stay away from it myself.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  09:18:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh I wish I had seen this thread sooner! Not been on the computer much in the past several weeks.

So much good advice here!!! You ladies are just FABOULOUS!

About the buck thing-- I have both sheep AND goats (Babydolls, Jacobs and Nigerians. Oh, and my husband has a couple of MUTANTS! Don't know WHAT "Breed" HIS sheep are...) All of our boys run together. I currently have 5 Babydoll rams, 2 Jacob rams and 2 Nigerian dwarf bucks in one pen, my husbands big GIANT ram and my older Jacob ram and a few wethers together, along with a Jersey bull calf in another pen, and a very BAD little Nigerian buck (he fathered nearly ALL of the 36 babies I was NOT expecting this year!!!) with two younger bucks and several of his wethered sons.

So far there hasn't been a problem. I've had sheep for nearly 11yrs and the goats almost 8. Yes, I've been rammed by one of the bucks (the older Jacob-- he's lucky he's still ALIVE!), but, since I keep a CLOSED herd on all breeds, I don't have much of a choice. If I want to keep breeding, I have to keep my own breeding males. Rarely do I have problems with any of them. They are all quite good friends actually.

Also, I'd like to comment on the milking-- I HAVE milked my Nigerian does. Some ARE harder to milk than others-- depending on teat size. A few of my girls have very large teats and very nice udders. They are the best for milking. Their milk is also one of the highest of butter fat, even higher than most of the large dairy breeds. They don't produce AS MUCH per day as their larger counterparts, but it's very comparable in quality. They are WONDERFUL little goats for small farms and much easier for small people (like myself!) to handle. But I guess we ALL have our favorites. I would like to have a few La Manchas here too someday. For some reason that particular breed appeals to me just as much as my little nigies.

The goal of most SERIOUS Nigerian breeders over the past decade has been udder improvement. Several breeders have made some very impressive improvements in the milking genetics of their herds. The woman who sold me my "Original" buck is doing wonders with her girls. She has won so many awards for her goats in many catagories, especially for "Best Udder." She milks most of her herd and has a line of goat milk beauty products and soaps. Something I would like to do myself eventually. That's why I got them!

Oh, and for whoever asked what the Nigerians look like... (Kris?)... they are built very much like a miniature Alpine, only there are over 28 different patterns and who knows HOW MANY colors acceptable (except agouti- a Pygmy pattern) in the breed. Breeding Nigerians "is like a box of Chocolates... you never know what yer gonna git!" (HA! HA! HA! HA!!!!) Just like Christmas! Keep up the good chat ladies! Happy Day to you all ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic More Goat Talk Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page