Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS??? Next Topic
Page: of 5

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  08:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Suzie,
Thanks for your encouragement!!! I'm at my daughter's in Phoenix and getting a very late and lazy start . . . that's good!!!
That means I'm taking a break!! I drove all day yesterday and since the A/C in my car is on the fritz I really noticed it when I hit the desert . . . ARRGH!!! I went to the school where my daughter teaches and hung out there for a while . . met he students. She teaches a combo class of kindergarten and 1st graders . . . mostly boys!!! What a room full of energy!!! It was fun and entertaining! Since I make aprons to sell and had made all the teachers there some for their work I took what I had left over from our Farmers Market season and sold some of them. If was fun to watch her teacher friends fuss over who was going to get the purple polka-dotted one or whatever. If I had had more I probably could have sold them.

Today I'm doing some shopping errands since I'm in the BIG CITY!!!! (Don't live in the big city which is most excellent!!)
My daughter is teaching today and then we have the next two days just for the two of us . . .then I must return home on Sunday.

If you go to the "MY SIS . . . as of Oct. 1st" post and "KNEE SURGERY" post you can catch up on my sister and what's happening with her as well as pending surgery for my husbnad.

I guess I'm just trying to store up some R&R for the next few weeks ahead!!!
I have you Caregiving Farmgirls on my "pray for" list . . . and I do!!! I think of all the energy, of every kind, that you all are expending . . . and how much you are needed, but also how you all have needs for your own wellbeing!!! So, be sure to take care of yourselves every chance you get!!!!

I'm cheering for . . . and admiring . . . all of you!!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  2:42:01 PM  Show Profile
My olders sister, one of my neices and I take turns going up to do things for my folks, they live 1 hour west of me,1 hour east of my sister, and my neice lives about 15 minutes away. They are still at home, but going down fast. They don't want to live with anyone and don't want to go to a nursing home, mom fell in front of the county courthouse this summer and was taken to the local ER, where a caseworker was assigned to her. Mom has Alzheimer's 3rd stage and Dad refuses to be tested. I know how you girls feel, working a full-time job, weekends is when I am supposed to do housework and stuff, but when I get home on Saturday I am wiped out. The "emergency" phone calls during the week keep me wound up tight. I am so thankful for Donna and Lisa.

So give yourself a big hug, grab a big whiff of roses when you can, and keep on keepin' om.
'

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  3:28:03 PM  Show Profile
I have laryngitis so when I go to take care of gramma she thinks she can't talk. It's almost funny, I write her notes and she will answer them but she doesn't talk to me at great lenghts like she does when I can answer her. I actually get my work done sooner. Today is her birthday she is 96 years old and loves the new pillow I got for her to sleep on and the 15 large print books that she will have them all read before I go over there tomorrow.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  8:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Ceejay, be sure to enjoy your time with your daughter.....Diane, you are one awesome woman, I think you must take care of everybody!!!! But, do you take time for "just you"???

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  07:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Caregiving Farmgirls,
I drive home today Pray for safe travels!
My time with my daughter . . . PRICELESS AND PRECIOUS!!!
Time at WOF Conference . . . HUGELY REFRESHING AND BLESSING!!!

Back to work with my sister tomorrow. She will be headed for Denver on the 14th for repair of the misaligned cup in her hip replacement. Dr. believes there is infection in her bones as well
Tuesday is my husband's knee arthroscopy surgery I will have to help him out for a few days . . .
Things probably will be crazy and I just hope and pray that I can maintain!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you all as you do the wonderful caregiving work that you do.
DON'T FORGET . . . TAKE CARE OF YOU TOO!!!!
Love and Prayers!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  7:33:04 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay, hope your drive home was safe and sound. Being the wonderful #1 Caregiver that you are, none of us doubt for a moment that you will be able to maintain your juggling act!! Don't forget, each and every one of us will be cheering you on, and thinking of you every day!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  11:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It's a new day . . . a new week . . . and not far into a new month!!!

I trust that things are going better for you caregiver farmgirls . . .
I trust that you are all able to have some rest, restoration and relaxation.
I trust that you are all able to have some time (and activity you choose) for YOU!!!!!
(my sis and I are off to a new day . . a very physically challenging for both of us)
Off tomorrow to take hubby in for his knee surgery . . . praying it to go smooth and easy.

Sending my thoughts and prayers out to all of you . . . on this new day!!

GOD BLESS!!
CJ

P.S. My trip home was safe, but the wind across northern Arizona was HORRID, worse that I've ever seen. Have driven that 100s of times!!! Terrible head-on accident that delayed me (and a LOT of other drivers) for about 1/2 hour. I do not know the condition of drivers.

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  11:31:16 AM  Show Profile
I just made soup and you know how that grows and grows so I took some over to my neighbors who are great. Yesterday when my DH and I were painting the kitchen which led to pulling out the cubboards to fix the pipes and insulate the wall & pipes which led to my kitchen being a big mess, but over came a neighbor with a hot from the oven apple pie. Funny thing is we were so tired we both fell asleep so the pie will be eaten tonight.
??? Gramma Rose is going into the hospital on Thursday she is having surgrey to remove cancer from her labia(lady parts) then going into a rehab house for a few weeks. I thought my DH & I could visit her a few times and I planned on stopping in daily to bring her a book or 2 to read, then I planned on enjoying the break. now I hear my SIL is expecting us to take turns staying with her in the hospital & rehab 24/7. My DH feels guilty and said OK I don't want to go and I don't want him to change his plans with his brother they (we) were all going camping for the weekend. Do you think my SIL is right? I think if she has a problem leaving gram in the care of professional it's her problem not ours. What would you do?? Plus I still have my mom to visit and my grandson to watch a few of those days.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  12:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Diane,
I would stick with your plans . . . you all need the break. I would a gently as possible say that you do need the break and that there will be professional caregivers there and that she will be taken care of.

I was "on duty" during my typical 12 hours shift at the hosp. with my sis because she needs someone with her (because of her brain injury). Her hubby came for a couple of hours when it was time for me to leave. However, he did NOT stay all night . . .

I'm rootin' for you Diane!!!
I'll also be praying!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
How is everyone doing out there????

I'm pretty pooped!! Not only taking care of my sister, but my hubby had knee arthroscopy on Tuesday, so I'm helping him too. He's doing good and I'm SO-O-O-O thankful for that!!!

Feeling pretty overwhelmed!!

But I'm thankful for the time I've had in between!

And, I'm thinking of all of you girls . . . hoping you're getting some break time for YOU too!!!

CJ

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  4:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there Ceejay, Your a farmgirl so you can do anything..Just watch out for your back. When mine starts to hurt I grab an asprin and try to take it easy. Backs are sooooooooo important.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  4:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Boy, do I hear ya'!! When I left my sister's on Monday I could REALLY feel it!! I do my best in watching my back and using proper body mechanics, etc. But, I'm an old lady . . . and she weighs 150 pounds!!!
You take care too, my Farmgirl Friend!!!
THANKS
CJ

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  9:17:12 PM  Show Profile
BAH.....an old lady, you sound like a spring chicken Ceejay!! glad to hear hubby's surgery went well, that has to be a little load off your mind. Hope things are going well with your sister also.....take care all you Farmgirl Caregivers, prayers for all of ya's!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  09:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Suzie . . . I AM an old lady!!

When I took Bill (hubby) in to his PT appt. yesterday the receptionist looked at me and said "Well, you take of everybody". This is also the same place where we take my sis for her OT . . . used to go for PT, but no longer.

The physical therapist who helped Bill was the same one that had worked with my sis. When talking with Bill she said, "well, she's a good therapist, she'll keep you on track".

When we went in for surgery on Tuesday, the OR nurses looked at me and said "aren't you tired of this place". They had all seen me more than one while my sis was in the hosp. and had to have 3 different (minor) procedures.

Today, my sis and I have laughed about some things, but getting her in and out of shower, dressed, etc. is nothing short of an act of an Atlas muscle builder. But we're done with that for today!!!

Thanks all you Farmgirls!!!
Watch your backs . . .and all your muscles. TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  09:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
How's everyone doing out there??? I hope you caregivers are able to enjoy some fall weather. Fall is my favorite season . . .

My sister's hubby is having terrible back pain today, my neck and right elbow are hurting. Pretty sure it's related to all the lifting we have to do with my sis.

We're TRYING to take care, be watchful and safe!!!

Hope you all are taking care of yourselves!!!!

GOD BLESS!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  1:35:39 PM  Show Profile
CJ, you take care of yourself too! Hows Bill? Praying for you all! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  3:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Caregiver Farmgals!!!
Haven't heard much lately . . . hoping that doesn't mean things are going not-so-well!! I think of and pray for you consistently!!!

Things for my sister are just in a holding pattern while we finish this 6-week course of IV antibiotics. It's VERY DIFFICULT to care for her because of her immobility issues. My right elbow and upper arms ache a lot. I've started wearing a tennis elbow brace when I'm working with her . . . it helps considerably. Her hubby hurt his back again last week, is seeing chiropractor.

But, we are ENJOYING a GLORIOUS fall . . . the colors around our place are SPECTACULAR!!! We have had some warm, sunny days to enjoy some outdoor activity.

I'm hoping that you are all doing okay . . .taking care of yourselves!!!!
GOD BLESS!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

cdmcan
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Diane
Homer City PA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Caregiving is a wonderful, yet sometimes thankless job. My husband and I brought his parent to live with us 6 years ago now. Dad had a severe stroke leaving him about 80% paralyzed on the left hand side. He took care of Mom for years prior. She is a severe diabetic with many ongoing ailments such as parkinsons, stenosis of the spine, and dementia to name a few.

Luckily we have 2 wonderful caregivers who come to help us 8 hours per day, monday thru friday. They tell us how wonderful it is that we took on this task and how thankful they are to be working in our home. They do this for a living and they are not treated so well at other homes. How could they not be? They become a part of your family, and they are doing what you cannot do 24 hours a day.

If anyone out there needs help.... just ask... we have done a lot of research on taking care of the poor and the elderly. We have many valuable services provided for little or no money. But you have to be willing to ask and ask and ask!

We built a new home about 6 1/2 years ago, and made is handicapped accessible at the time thinking that we would have a parent eventually live with us or my husband himself has had 3 back surgeries and who knows what each day brings and if he'll be in a wheelchair too. Mom and dad moved in just 6 months after our new home was finished. Dad turned 89 in October and Mom 80 that same month.

I wouldn't trade it for the world, even tho our home is not our own, we know that someday it will be again, and we will cherish the moments that we shared with them here.

Lover of Siamese Cats
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  12:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Diane, My parents moved in on Sept 11th of this year. They were here 3 days before my Mom fell in the bathroom. SHe broke 5 ribs and tore a muscle. She was in the hospital 3 weeks. She came home last Friday and it has been very stressful on me and my husband. Daddy seems to be doing well. They both seem to be glad to be here. My Mom can't do anything for herself. I have to be here all the time. I did get one of my daughters to come stay with them for a couple of hours Saturday evening so that my husband and I could go out to dinner. All of you that have been doing this for years, Does it get better? I am sooo tired, plus my knee is killing me. I will probably be having a knee replacement soon. Please pray for us.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

cdmcan
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Diane
Homer City PA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  1:23:37 PM  Show Profile
southerncrossgirl.... hang in there.... you are a newby at this... It does get better. Right now you are facing an uphill battle. That is a lot of broken ribs. She'll be in pain for quite a while. I've picked up my inlaws from the floor many times over the past years. Luckily dad is only about 140 lbs... and with a gait belt, I can do it. My mother in law is like me however and is over 200 lbs.. That is more of a challenge. We now have a lift to help us with her.

Do you have brothers and sisters that can help? We have some living very close by but they only visit. Said to say, they are the ones that are missing out on all the joy and trials. There are so many things to be thankful for.

Check with your local Aging Services and see what type of aid they can provide. Lots of times they have volunteers that will come in stay for a short period of time. Or check with the church that you attend. An hour or 2 is all you need sometimes to recoup and have a break from it all.

Find an hour just for you and do what you enjoy, watch tv, read, or do a loved craft. One of the things I hate the most is that I can't get outside and enjoy my gardening as much as I'd like, but I just say to myself, look how happy they are and how much better they are with you and the care and love that you give them.

Make a stop at any local nursing home. They do the best that they can, with very few staff. It's a sad place. I wish I could bring more of them home with me.

Hang in there and if you need to chat you can email me at cdmcan@iup.edu

Have a great day!

Lover of Siamese Cats
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  6:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Diane. Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed. I just keep believing that Mom should soon start feeling better and life will get easier.
Thanks everyone for lending an ear. I'm gonna need you all!
Gena

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  6:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Gena,
Will be praying for healing for your mom . . . picking up and lifting is HARD!!! With my sister right now I do more of that than I can believe and more than I was having to do. I certainly understand what you mean by wondering if it ever gets better and that you are overwhelmed . . . I can certainly RELATE!!! Right now we are wondering if things will EVER improve for her, if her brain will EVER heal, if she will EVER regain ANY normal function.

Hang in there . . . keep us posted!! I hear ya!
Take care!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  7:25:11 PM  Show Profile
cdmcan, and southercrossgirl......Ceejay is the "mother caregiver" here, she is full of info and will gladly share with you. She just doesn't know I've dubbed her that!! Kudos to both of you for being the caregivers that you are.....you will cherish these times forever. Need help or a shoulder just jump on this thread, there's always someone willing to lend a shoulder!!! Keep up the good work, and take care of yourselves!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Suzie for your encouragement . . . "mother caregiver"?? Boy, I hope I'm that wise!!!

Suzie is right in that I will help any and all of you and in way that I can. I know that it can be pretty lonely out there in the world of caregiving . . . I know how the caregiving Farmgirls on this forum have encouraged me!!!

We DO need each other!!! We ARE in this TOGETHER!!!!

I DO think of all of you . . . and just pray that things will go as smoothly as possible!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL
CJ

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  09:45:59 AM  Show Profile
She's right ya know, gals......we are all in it together!! We make it through the rough days, and cherish the good days......and hold each other up through it all!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS??? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page