Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS??? Next Topic
Page: of 5

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  10:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi All Caregivers,
I am the sole caregiver for my husband, who has Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy, and he falls many times and we have a Hoyer Lift to help me get him up. It is very helpful, so I do not hurt my back and myself.
Just some information about Lifts, I thought would help others.

Diane, Is that the same type lift you have?
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  6:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for all the kind words. I do have a brother, but he only comes about 2 times a month. I wish he and his wife would offer to stay at my house 1 weekend every couple of months. It would be so great to get away, and just have something to look forward to.
Keep up the prayers. Love you all!
Gena

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  07:49:39 AM  Show Profile
I have used a hoyer lift before but I don't own one or I would take it with me to gramma Rose's. She's home from the hospital where they & my sister in law fed her. This may sound mean but she can feed herself and I will not feed her. I do set her up bring her food to her, talk to her while she's feeding herself, clean up her mess when done and she eats with out any problems for me but won't eat for anyone else. trust me I will shower her after a BM. I will check to make sure she is clean but she can also wipe herself but tells others to do it for her. It makes me mad, Everyone said she was always lazy but even at 96 that is way to lazy for me.
I did show my SIL how well gram does when she thinks no one is around. I had SIL watch me from the other room, would you believe she said yes but its faster my way. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:50:03 AM  Show Profile
I think I sounded really grumpy in the last post. I'm usually not like that but I don't think quickness is an answer to feeding anyone. I believe it you don't use it you will lose it and I don't want Gramma to lose anything because in the long run she is the one who loses. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm mean but I know I'm not. Especially to gramma.
I guess it's good to get upset my SIL has not been feeding Gram and said Gramma is doing a lot better even walking to the kitchen a few times a day.Yeah!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

cdmcan
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Diane
Homer City PA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  11:41:46 AM  Show Profile
We do have a hoyer lift... makess it easy on the patient and the caregiver. Just make sure that the hammock type seat is up the back of their head to give them support there and also down uner the hips so it's not pinching their legs.

Lover of Siamese Cats
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  4:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Diane of "Diane B. Carter" . .
No need to worry about feeling grumpy!!!! I, as do many other caregivers DO understand and it's just really encouraging to know that we can share our frustrations, ventilate and know that there is understanding and encouragement. That's what this thread is for!!!
I know I certainly need the support, understanding encouragement . . . I just wish we were more able to physically help each other out as possible.
So, thanks for sharing . . . be encouraged!!!
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!!!
WE NEED EACH OTHER!!! WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER!!!
HANG TOUGH!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  5:04:02 PM  Show Profile
It is in a way a blessing to know others are walking in the same path you are. I just wish no one had to. This is a great thread to vent and to share ideas. It's nice to have encouragement & support.
Keep up the good work everyone. God is watching, (thats what my gramma used to tell me)

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  8:16:31 PM  Show Profile
You're right, God Is watching.....you girls are so awesome.....I haven't had the nerve to vent here yet....but am getting extremely frustrated, not with my DH, but with neighbors etc. who have said "just call if you need something"....how many times do I need to politely mention "I NEED TO GROCERY SHOP"!!! My brother & SIL keep in contact most every day (they are 6 hrs. away), and must have felt my frustration as they called tonight and said they will be here Monday....they moved from here 2 mos. ago and have just a few things they left at their old house, etc. She said "you were the deciding factor"....I will shop before they come, but SIL and I will have some "girl time" for a couple hours next week. This is a very difficult job on diff. levels for all of us, and even in a fit of tears sometimes, I think to myself "I wouldn't have it any other way". I thank god I have a job that will allow me to take care of my hubby until his time comes. You all are so much support and encouragement, and I'm so glad you're all here as "we are all here" for the rest of you!! Take care Farmgirl Caregivers!!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  1:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Boy howdy!! Some days . . . and this is one . . . I just look in the mirror and say, "OH DEAR!" Seems like I just get older looking and more tired and just don't want to KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!

Then, I say to myself "Self, buck up, get yourself together and get on with life! It ain't over for you yet!"

Well, alrighty then!!!

Here I am . . . "muscling" my sister around another day and trying to do all I can for her . . . and get her to smile and sing with me!!!

And, I'm thinking of all of you out there trying to KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!

My love and prayers are with you!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  2:00:32 PM  Show Profile
My mother was the sole caregiver for my step-father for over 20 years. She was always tired and he would never let her take a nap during the day. She hardly ever left him alone, but sometimes it was absolutely necessary--sometimes for her sanity. The sad part was that after his death, she would not go anywhere or do anything to rest or relax. I was so sad for her.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  10:58:42 AM  Show Profile
Happy mail, thats what I got today! CJ sent me a nice package in the mail. There was tea bags, Hershey's dark choc. bar,coffee & a hot cider drink with a little notebook which she wrote me a note in. I just got back from the dentist and waiting for me was the mail. No bills just happy mail! Thank-you CJ, you certainly didn't need to send me anything but yeah, you made my day. Thank-you

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  11:23:16 AM  Show Profile
AAWW Diane, that is so nice. Every caretaker deserves a little something to take care of herself too. That was what I would have liked during the time I looked after mom. Just a shoulder and a kind word. But at that time we didn't have any contact with the neighbors etc. I don't even think they even KNEW about my mom and her severe dementia and the fact that i was taking care of her. But that is oke too. I was just "glad" to be able to do that for her, how hard it may have been.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  10:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh Dutchy, how kind to share your story, but how very sad that you had no help, not even neighbors. We all need a shoulder to cry on, so sorry that you did not have one. Wish we all could have been here to help you through that time. These caregivers on this thread are the most wonderful ladies, well....for that matter all of the farmgirls are the most wonderful!! Hope you caregivers here are having a good week, and I think also, we should all stretch our arms out and have a huge "group hug"!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  1:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Can you believe it's the end of October already?? Time is just flying by!!
Things here are about the same . . . my sister is status quo but we are hoping this infection clears up so hip replacement repair surgery can be done so she can be on the mend and mobile again. It won't be anytime soon but that's our hope.
In the meantime, it's a constant vigil to keep from hurting my back. My right elbow still hurts, but the band helps when I wear it when working with her.
She is making less and less effort to help herself and that is frustrating . . . like she is giving up! I encourage her all the time, telling her that she has to do for herself.

I think of all of you caregiving farmgirls out there again . . . trusting that things are going better if possible (?), more smoothly (?), that you are taking care of yourselves and getting some rest and relax time as well.

Dutchy . . . I'm sorry you were so alone when you needed someone "in your corner". Thank you for your words of encouragement to the rest of us!!!!

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES!!
THINKING OF YOU!!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  12:06:26 AM  Show Profile
You're welcome. And remember girls. When Christmas comes around and your loved one is not able to buy you a little something, please do so for yourself :)
My mom couldn't do that anymore as well, so when we went to town I told her I was going to buy a small present for her to give to me and the other way around, I bought a small present for her.. She didn't realize it was Christmas but still, just the idea of giving a little something is a way to let them know you still love them. And just the thought that there is a little something for you under that tree, lol. Even if you know what is inside it is the thought that counts. Mom had not been able to wrap presents for years due to her handicap (other than the dememntia she couldn't use her hands)so I had to wrap my own presents as well lol. But I just tried to forget what was in them ;) when I openened them. PLEASE take a few moments every day to pamper yourself, just even read a few pages of a MJ magazine or a nice Christmas issue of your fave book//magazine to get you in the mood. Put up a small tree with some lights. My mom didn't want a tree anymore, too much hassle etc. But Istill did a small table top tree, a few decorations on the wall, lit some candles and made some nice things to eat. If not for your loved one, do it for YOU!! You deserve some joy at Christmas time too !!

Hugs and prayers to all

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  7:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thinking of all you caregiving farmgirls again today!!! I am hoping that you are seeing some bright moments in your day.

I actually am feeling a bit encouraged today as my sister, for the past 2 days, has done better at attempting to stand on her right leg which has been SO-O-O-O-O helpful for all involved and less physically demanding than it has been.

Sending you warm thought and HUGE, HUGE hugs at this time!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  8:19:34 PM  Show Profile
How in the world did it get to be November already??!!! Glad things are looking up for all concerned on your end ceejay.....that's encouraging news!! Hope things are going as well for the rest of the "Farmgirl Caregivers", keep your chins up and keep on keepin' on!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  04:23:11 AM  Show Profile
CJ, so glad about your sister's improvement! My dad is in the hospital. He has congestive heart failure. I will speak to the Dr today. I am scheduled for a partial knee replacement on Monday. I am hoping maybe Dad can stay in the hospital for a week or so. Sometimes they can send them to a swing bed for recooping. My Dr asked me about who would help ME after my surgery. I told him my mother was a warm body that could call 911, if I fall.
I don't think he saw the amusement in that. It is what it is.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  06:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
THANKS FARMGIRLS!!!!!

Gena . . we'll be praying for you and your recovery! When I had to help my hubby the first few days after his knee arthroscopy AND work with my sister I was feeling a little overwhelmed. I'm thankful Bill has done VERY WELL and didn't need my help very long!!

Keep us posted as to how you are doing!!!!!
Remember we're in this together and we need each other!!!
TAKE CARE . . . and THANKS AGAIN!!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 04 2009 07:19:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:17:54 AM  Show Profile
I go to the thrift and but a book (large print but small book) and take it yo gramma's. Thank God she can still see and she reads at a 6th grade level, I don't know who likes the book's more me or her. She starts reading right away and it gives me extra time to do the kitchen work.
I sometimes think what if that was me and she was taking care of me. Sometimes tht helps with the frustration part of it.
My SIL buys us all a little gift from gramma and gramma is very happy when we tell her how much we love it.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  07:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Diane,
Love your blogspot. I have one started but it's REALLY bare . . . someday I'll get more time to spend with it . . . I hope!!!

I try to remember the same . . . what if I was the one being cared for. Puts a different spin on it, huh??

YOU TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!
THANKS!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  11:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Boy howdy, puts a different spin on things is right!!! Once in awhile I catch myself getting a little cranky, or frustrated with my DH....and I think to myself "what if it were me!!!".....sure makes my head spin around in no time at all!! Happy day gals~~~

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  08:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
November 9th . . . already!!!

How are all you wonderful caregiver Farmgirls doing??

I'm thankful for return of fall weather!!! This morning my lower back is hurting so I'm using my sister's rice bag, watching myself and taking care in lifting/transfering her.

She is doing about the same . . . STILL getting IV antibiotics, STILL waiting for resolution on whatever the infection is so that we can move on to resolution of the hip issue.

Well, you girls TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES!!!!
REMEMBER: I'm pulling for you and caring about you!!!
TAKE CARE!!
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  7:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey ceejay~~~are you just now getting fall weather?? We've had a beautiful fall so far, calling for snow on Thurs. however!! Hope you had a good day with your sista, and that soon they will come to some conclusion as far as her infection goes. To all you Farmgirl Caregivers, have a great week, keep pluggin' along, we're all in this together!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13646 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13646 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  5:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I need a vacation!!! I need time to clean my house . . or a maid!!!

How is everyone else out there doing? I DO think of you OFTEN . . pray for you . . . and trust that things are going okay!!!

HANG IN THERE!!! WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER!!!
CJ

www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Caregiver Care - CHRISTMAS??? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page