HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:50:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm home sick for my little half acre ranch I grew up on. I can remember in perfect detail the way the water would drain off every square foot. I remember the breezes and the seasons (such as they are in southern california). And my parents still live there, and I could visit. But there is nothing like working land. Pulling weeds, pitching rocks out of the horse arena, shoveling manure, watering the plants, filling the water buckets, working horses. I'm so tired of apartment life and hired men that mow the lawns and trim the hedges.

What's your favorite thing about your land (past, present or future)?

Mine was digging ditches. Every year all during the rainy season my mom and I would dig ditches to avert the water from the horse corrals. Our first winter there my pony was in water any time it rained up to her knees. After over a decade of digging ditches the water now drains itself! I remember being a kid and getting my knee high muck boots sucked right off my foot in a huge vat of mud. And being soaked after digging ditches for hours and coming in the house, taking a hot shower and sitting down with a warm cup of tea. God, I miss it. If I could pass two things onto my children the first would be to love the Lord and the second would be the love of working the land.

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:57:45 PM  Show Profile
What is my favorite thing about my land? It is that my late husband and I turned desert dirt into a green farm/ranch, with our own 2 hands, and raised 4 great kids on it!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  2:20:41 PM  Show Profile
oh that's so sweet to have all those awesome memories! I hope I can say something akin to that once my kids are out :)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  2:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- I can tell you love the land. It just shines out of your post! Anhy chance you can get a garden plot somewhere or even befriend someone that has land that you could go help on? I love working the land as well. I especially love it when you have time to really get into a project- like digging your ditches, or moving muck heaps or things like that where when you are done you can look at it and say "I did good!" :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  4:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Heather:
I hope you soon find your land. Your heart sings out to work the land, your own land. I love anything to do with my land. It is only two acres, but I love it. Give me the outside any day!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  4:33:00 PM  Show Profile
I really love my 3 acres. I don't always love it, though. Not when we are knee deep in mud because it's been raining for weeks on end. Nor when my poor goats have to slosh through the mud to get to the milk room. Or when we have to wait way too late to plant the gardens. Or when the weeds are head high and still growing. Or when cows climb over the fence and wander off down the road to greener pastures. Or when every time I turn around I have to get a goat head out of the fence. Or get them back in where they are supposed to be.

But ya know what? I would not want to be anywhere else but here. Because for all the bad times there are so many more great times. Like when the grands ride the goats in the goat yard and fall off and get right back on laughing so hard they can hardly see. Or swing from the tree branches while feeding goats leaves. Or picking fresh green beans or corn or peas and standing right there and eating them raw. Or gathering fresh eggs from my so cool hens. Or milking my goats and squirting milk in someone's face.

There are so many good things about my place that far outweigh the bad times. I do love the little creek we have when it's rained all those many days. The sound it makes on a quiet morning. The roosters crowing. The hens singing the egg laying song. The cows mooing because they're so happy. Even the impatient noises the goats make when I am late to milk them.

I love my farm!! I hope you have your own piece of ground one day soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  07:32:30 AM  Show Profile
I just love our farm. I love the exhaustion at the end of the day that a full day of hard labor creates; I love standing on the back steps with my Diet Coke or Koolaid in the morning, feeling the cool breeze (accompanied by the ever present whiff of cow manure, of course!) and watching the sun rise; getting a 'kiss' from Elvis, our bull, as I wander through the pasture digging up thistle; and all the other wonderful 'gifts' our farm presents to me every day. I just don't think I could ever live anywhere else, or any way else.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic For the Love of Land Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page