Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic new to the farm life Next Topic  

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I'm new to the farm life and was wondering some things. My boyfriend. (soon to be husband) will inherit the farm when his parents pass. (they own and run a 150 cow dairy farm) That will not be for many years because they are still rather young themselves (about in their early 50's). I know its many years down the road until that happens but i am wondering what will all happen when this does happpen? Has this ever happened to anyone? If it has, please share your stories! Thanks

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  1:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean what will happen leagally?

My husband will inherit 1/2 of his family's farm when his father passes away. Women on the farm have no claim to the land including his sisters and female cousins. For instance, if something happens to my husband (god forbid) and we have no son, his portion of the farm passes to his male cousin.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  2:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
i guess what i am trying to ask or say is does anyone know the stresses with running a farm,it just being you and your husband? like what do i have to look forward to and what do i have coming that i am not going to be looking forward to? Any comments would help

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  4:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Lots and lots of work, no vacations, 7 days a week, good weather, bad weather, doesn't matter if you are sick, you must absolutly love the outdoors and the fresh smell of manure, don't mind mud, dealing with sick livestock, and death. BUT, when the day is done, and you can sit back and look at ALL you accomplished with your own 2 hands, thru the blood, sweat and tears, and smile, cause you did it and its all yours. Farming/ranching is a lifestyle, you will either love it , or you will hate it, but you absolutly need to give it at the least, a 2 year chance, and in those 24 months, you might hate 22 of them, and THEN the last two, everything falls into place, and you realize it is PARADISE !!!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  10:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Teresa! That was so amazingly well put! I couldn't agree more. Thank you for your words!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  07:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Bravo Teresa! Best description of farm life ever.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  08:28:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Girls

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  08:38:55 AM  Show Profile
Teresa, you just described my farm life exactly like you were me! I would have said the exact same thing. Amazing. Sometimes I just want to give it all up and move to town in a condo. Then I go to town and can't wait til I get back out here to the peace and quiet and the beauty here that can't be beat. And I change my mind fast! I do love it. But I don't like all the sickness and death when it comes to the animals. I want everyone to be healthy and happy and get along. It doesn't always work that way.

You did forget to mention all the dirty sweaty nasty clothes. And lots of boots laying around. And aching backs and arms and hands. But it feels great to take a shower at the end of the day and wash it all off for a few hours and lay down in the bed with nice fresh sheets hung on the line to dry.

Claudia, I have 7 milk goats. I can't go anywhere for more than a day. But I chose this. If I want to go on a vacation, I have to go in Feb. or March when the goats are dried up.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  11:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Claudia
We are just starting to farm. We were give 120 acres of my father in laws farm. He divided it up amongst the kids. So far it is lots of work as we are starting totally from scratch, at least you will have some things. We converted our garage into our house and just got done building a chicken house and have to do a sheep shed, fence and all that. We can put our cattle in family barn until we can build one when we get some next year.

It is more work than I every dreamed possible but I have never been happier in my life! I love every minute that brings us closer to being self sufficient and knowing what is going into my food. I love the quiet and sense of accomplishment. I would not trade one bit of it for anything in the world.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  2:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I do beleive that my home is paradise, my late husband and I built it from scratch 36 years ago, but farming/ranching is been in my blood for generations. I tried the city life, hated every single second of it, going into the city now for any reason is torture for me, loud, crowded, dirty and noisey. Yes it seems like all I do is laundry sometimes, and boots, they are everywhere, at every door and in the barns, back of the pick-ups, you'd think there was an army living here, LOL. My husband passed 2 years ago this Aug, from cancer, he was 53, but his blood , sweat and tears are here also, along with my youngest son, d-in-law and 2 grandsons, and I KNOW I will never do anything else with my life, cause this is my life and I love every single second of it, even the dirty nasty clothes, muscles screaming, and while I don't love the sad times, they are part of life, so I just go on, at least until I can take that long hot shower at the end of the day, crawl in bed and start all over the next day.

Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  11:06:27 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering if your boyfriend works on the farm now. If he does full time or part time. Then you already have some idea as what farm work is. With milk cows it is a 24/7 job. And if you and your soon to be husband will do this as your life's job it is a commitment that can be the greatest and some days the hardest thing you ever do. Our neighbors are dairy farmers. The Son lives just across the field from his mom and dad place where the cows are. The dad has passed and the son along with his boy now are taking care of the dairy operation and the grain farming. Many times rain, snow,or cold I might not be able to sleep and I'm sitting by the window late at night or early in the morning I see the truck lights heading over to check the barn. *oh cow must be getting ready to have a calf I think to myself. He will do this several times through out the night. Your animals are your life. You need to take care of them in order for them to take care and provide for you. I actually looking out the window now and seeing all the cows laying in the pasture enjoying the break in the heat today. To me that is such a beautiful site.

I myself was born and raised knowing nothing else but farming. And was a daddy's girl through and through. We had cattle(beef)hogs, and chickens. (My grandparent had milked before I came along.) Raise corn,beans,wheat, hay and clover. My dad was such a hard working man. I had always known that,but until I had haven taken over the farm with my husband, just truly never have appreciated it as much as I do now. My husband works off the farm during the day construction and then comes home to help me. Let me tell you there are some days when nothing seems to work and you sit and cry wondering why you try. Death of a animal which you have raise from little on, something breaks on the combine, rain is coming and you just got a few rounds to go. But that's with anything or any where you might be or do. There are many more days that I know why I do this.
I have learned a lot from watching my parents work together to run a farm and create a home together. Both in their 80's now. One thing is you must work together and support each other.
Know that anything that is worth having is worth working for. And to truly be tired from a hard days work of your accomplishments is one of the best feeling.

I wish you all the best.

Edited by - Farmers Daughter on Jul 16 2009 11:13:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Thank you "Farmers Daughter" What your seeing out your window sounds to me like the same thing we have at our farm. Right now were are in the old farm house,Just for a few months, then we are moving across the road into a nicer house that his parents bought for him a few years back. They have been renting it out to people until he was ready to move in, and in doing that they have pretty much had the house paid for by renters! So the house is little cost to us! The farm house is old and needs alot of work and my soon to be mother in law is thinking of fixing it up some day and turning it into a bed and breakfast. So, when we are all in our set houses, his parents will live on one end of the farm, right by the barn, and we will live across from the parlor. His mother and I get along great and i couldn't be any happier about that because i have heard horror stories about Ladies not getting along with their Mother in Law. I have actually been to the barn with my boyfriend in the middle of the night to watch some calfs being born. I can honestly say its a very interesting experience to have. He was a pro at it and he actually made the comment "someday, we can have a baby "calf" of our own. Meaning have our own baby. I think i fell in love with him all over again. A farmers heart is a kind of their own!

Thanks to all you ladies who have wished us the best of luck!!

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  07:44:00 AM  Show Profile
Amen, Teresa! We are a 'single' couple farm, and with the exception of very, very occasional help from our two kids (who are in Texas in college), we share the bulk of the work. It's hard work, and takes a lot of being able to get along and work well together, but at the end of the day, when I'm sipping my hot tea and dh is soaking his tired feet, we can both smile over what's been accomplished. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  10:13:51 AM  Show Profile
With you on that one Julie!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  12:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yes, Rae. I know you are well versed on it! How was the 'vacation'? Get everything done? See, Claudia, I can attest to the fact that Rae knows about the 'single' couple syndrome!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic new to the farm life Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page