482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  04:58:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

Lori, you added the oils to the lye? I saw somewhere a lady mixed her lye and water then added the solid oils to melt them then the liquid oils then used her stick blender to mix then poured into molds. Is that what you did?

Have you uncovered yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Kris,

I mixed lye and water in a large pyrex measuring cup, and melted the oils in a large stainless steel stock pot. ALWAYS add the lye water to the oils, not the other way around! I slowly added the lye water to the oils, just moving the stick blender around first without it running, then turned it on in short cycles. It mixed like a dream, but I had to keep it deep in the mixture so it wouldn't start whipping air into it. At trace, I removed the blender, and added essential oils which I mixed with a rubber spatula, then poured the whole works into my large wooden mold lined with parchment paper. I just unmolded it last night, and it's turned out lovely!

I am now hooked on soapmaking...

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  05:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lori. I just thought the way you wrote it that you mixed them all up together to melt the oils. Here is a lady that does that. simplysandrasblogspot.com/2009/06/makingsoap.html.

And also at the trace stage you can tell it's ready when you can trace images on the top by dripping soap. I've also read that when using a stick blender to keep it at the bottom or it will whip too much air in the soap and cause it to sink in the middle. Anyway, just a few thoughts.

I'm so glad your soap turned out. I wish we could see it. Maybe we can do some soap swaps soon! I'm going to make more base this week. It's supposed to be in the 40's and 50's here!!!!

That link didn't work so I tried it another way and it didn't either.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 11 2010 05:32:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

ShirleyM
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Shirley
Indiana
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  07:21:00 AM  Show Profile
So...I have a front loader washing machine and it recommends HE detergent...anyone know anything about this and how it correlates to homemade laundry soaps? Maybe it's just a marketing thing and doesn't matter...just wondering

Shirley

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO! What a ride!
Go to Top of Page

corabela
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Laura
Mount Vernon Ohio
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  11:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lori,

I get my fats from Columbus Foods. They're cheap enough that I manage to buy the organic fats and sell my soap as organic (which generally means you can easily charge $5 to $7 for a 4 ounce bar).

http://www.columbusfoods.com/

The fats come in jugs with small openings so the only drawback is that coconut oil and the palm oil tend to solidify in the jugs and not pour. I fill up the sink with hot water and soak the jugs to melt fats, about 20 minutes before I start. (So they'll pour out the opening, of course.)

I'm so happy to meet another fellow soaper!

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

corabela
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Laura
Mount Vernon Ohio
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  11:41:57 AM  Show Profile
That was meant for Claudia too! Sorry!

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  1:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Shirley - I also have an HE washing machine. I've been making my own laundry detergent for about six months and using it. It has not been a problem with the HE machine. It's just real important with the HE machines that you use a low sudsing detergent - which homemade is. I use a heaping tablespoon for regular loads and two tablespoons for extra dirty loads. I use the common dry detergent recipe but I'm sure the liquid would work just as well.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  5:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls-
Well I finally have a soapmaking henhouse!
It's called Sassy Soapers and it's for all soapmakers from beginners to experts!
I'd love it, if you'd come on over and visit! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kluckingbear
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Tabitha
Ellensburg WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  9:54:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to have to head on over to the soaper henhouse. I've been making cold process soap using soap flakes, dried milk, and liquid milk.

I'd love to learn how to do more and make other household cleaners. Someday I'd like to venture into hot process, but I'm a little scared.

Central WA FarmgirlCome visit me at my windy little blog www.windsewn.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  06:27:05 AM  Show Profile
If you can do CP, you can do HP, kluckinbear. I do my HP simply by using the same method that you would do CP, except that instead of pouring into a mold when you're done stirring, you put the pot in a 190 degree oven for one hour. After the hour, take the pot out of the oven, add your essential oils, dump into a waiting mold and wa la. When the soap is cool (I leave the soap in my log molds overnight) take it out of the molds and it's ready to use.

----------------------------------------------------------

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

mayamade
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

maya
minneapolis minnesota
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  1:16:02 PM  Show Profile
oh yeah! fellow soapmakers. i've been making soap cp for a few years now. and it is such a good feeling. i have an etsy store, but the soaps aren't up right now (camera problems.)in fact i am soaping away today.
Go to Top of Page

bagabondstudio
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Lori
Lake Orion michigan
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  07:00:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Have a laundry soap question??? I have made my first batch of Landry soap using Fel naphtha recipe. Everything turned out good. My question is i have 3 boys which equals lots of dirty socks. I didnt think the soap did a great job on getting some stains out. Can i add bleach to a load of laundry using The homemade laundry soap. I dont want to blow myself up
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  09:04:18 AM  Show Profile
My DD and I are so excited we ordered our first supplies to make our own soap. And, I made our first batch of laundry soap with Zote. I've been telling all my friends about it and even on my facebook page and they like it. Saves money and that is what we all need now days.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  09:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Hello!

I have been making my own soap for almost 4-years now and thankfully I have quite a bit of clients that keep coming back for more.

We attend several festivals and art shows all summer long...right now I have over 50-pounds of soap curing and another 50-pounds of handcrafted soap to make before I am caught up for our shows... Whew!!

My house smells divine!

Any popular scents anyone would like to share? Currently, I cannot seem to keep my chocolate scented soap on the shelves---Yumm!

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dumplin
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Kayla
Central Florida Florida
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  09:33:06 AM  Show Profile
I do not use bleach because of my chemical sensitivity disorder. So, I found something even better that won't kill you with the toxic fumes. It is Shaklees Nature Bright. It will make your whites like new and keeps your colors from fading especially the darks. I'm going to be ordering some if you want to try it, we could split the shipping costs. Just email me.

quote:
Originally posted by bagabondstudio

Hi Have a laundry soap question??? I have made my first batch of Landry soap using Fel naphtha recipe. Everything turned out good. My question is i have 3 boys which equals lots of dirty socks. I didnt think the soap did a great job on getting some stains out. Can i add bleach to a load of laundry using The homemade laundry soap. I dont want to blow myself up

www.reflectionsofkayla.etsy.com

sister#1033
Go to Top of Page

shabby-mama
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Nicola
Fowlerville Mi
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  1:57:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
Did you try adding borax to the mix? I usually soak my whites overnight, rinse them, then rewash. Bit of a chore, but not bad rather than using bleach.

Nicola

quote:
Originally posted by bagabondstudio

Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  7:00:36 PM  Show Profile
I make my bar soaps too and have sold enough over the years to not have to pay for my own. I use the ugly bars and grate for laundry soap. The Soapmaker's Companion a nice book. You can learn quite a bit by watching/reading the tutorials online. I have taught others and our homeschool teens came for a workshop too.
Don't be afraid to try it. I recommend goggles!

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business http://thegirlscreate.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lunamom
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

julie
mashpee ma
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda...and everyone eles too!
i AM ALSO NEW TO THE FORUM AND I'M ALSO A "SOAPER"I have a small home busness making homemade soaps,scrubs and body butters-i also make and sell natural dog shampoos and i just started selling my homemade natural cleaning products!My hubby and i are homesteaders and grow and raise are own food-i've been looking for friends with like interests..and this looks like the place to be!!

Julie
Shoot for the moon-even if you miss it yo will land among the stars!
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  05:33:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm a newbie too. I have gathered up all the lye soap making stuff and plan to try it as soon as the weather is good enough to do it outside. I found my stuff on Lehmans Non-electric website. They carry the lye, oils and molds and books on soap making.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

Daisy7896
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Sarah
Douglas MA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  05:51:01 AM  Show Profile
Judy, it's always fun to make soap for the first time! You don't have to make it outside as long as you have a well vented area you will be fine. I make my soaps in my basement with a large fan running, works just fine. I've been making goat milk CP soap for over 5 years now and have been working on selling it, so far it's been a hit. I love experimenting with all the different ingredients and additive that are out their for natural soaps. It truely can be a work of art!

I love my goats
Go to Top of Page

catramsey
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Cathy
Pflugerville Texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  9:38:19 PM  Show Profile
I am gathering my products together to make the dry laundry detergent. A co-worker made some and gave me a sample. It really cleans so much better and smells clean too.

Cathy
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  10:07:23 PM  Show Profile
If you would share the dry laundry detergent recipe I would love to have it. Thanks

Robin
Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From Sheep to Handspun."
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  4:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Robin, here's the recipe I use.

4 pounds Borax
" " baking soda
" " washing soda
1 1/2 bars of grated Zote soap or 3 bars grated Fells Naptha

Mix all together. I use about 1/4 cup per load and a little more for really dirty clothes. I also use vinegar for the rinse. And I hang every thing out on the line and it's never hard. I do like the crispy towels though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  8:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much. I will try it

Robin
Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From Sheep to Handspun."
http://mountainmorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  04:38:51 AM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to make my own soap for a while now since I have a bit of dry skin but not real bad. Does anyone have advice on this about a good homemade soap to help dry skin?

JudyT~Illinois
Farmgirl #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farm" girl at heart, sharing my life at,
http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

TwstdStitch
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Jean
Pennsylvania
USA
36 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  9:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda: I just started making soap last year. I buy large buckets of the olive oil "melt n pour" base and go nuts from there. I would really like to learn how to use lye, but so far can't get past my uncomfortable feeling of trying it. I use french clay and lavendar, for one...and this is the batch that usually gets grabbed up by family and friends first. lol Maybe there's a merit badge in soap making and I'll finally jump in and use lye???

Jean
Quilter, knitter, spinner/dyer, veggie gardener and craft-a-holic
Sister #1455
Here's to a simpler way of life !!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Anyone making their own soap? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page