TwstdStitch
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Jean
Pennsylvania
USA
36 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  10:10:59 PM  Show Profile

I have a stupid question...as soon as I sign off I bet I'll remember the answer. LOL

What do you consider "washing soda" ?? I use Borax along with my other detergent and always thought THAT was washing soda. Or are you talking about something different when you mention Borax? I use the "20 Mule Team.....".

Also, saw someone here mention the Fells Naptha soap and would love to have a recipe for making my own. Thanks :))

quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

Robin, here's the recipe I use.

4 pounds Borax
" " baking soda
" " washing soda
1 1/2 bars of grated Zote soap or 3 bars grated Fells Naptha

Mix all together. I use about 1/4 cup per load and a little more for really dirty clothes. I also use vinegar for the rinse. And I hang every thing out on the line and it's never hard. I do like the crispy towels though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Jean
Quilter, knitter, spinner/dyer, veggie gardener and craft-a-holic

Sister #1455
Hanging By a Thread Henhouse
Go to Top of Page

TwstdStitch
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Jean
Pennsylvania
USA
36 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  10:15:19 PM  Show Profile

Judy: This is why I use the olive oil soap base. Was searching for something to help my 80 year old Mother who couldn't find a soap she used to use years ago. All she remembered was it was olive oil and there was a clay in it. The easy M and P recipe I used made her happy. It's great, but not greasy.

quote:
Originally posted by JudyT

I have been wanting to make my own soap for a while now since I have a bit of dry skin but not real bad. Does anyone have advice on this about a good homemade soap to help dry skin?

JudyT~Illinois
Farmgirl #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farm" girl at heart, sharing my life at,
http://dailyyarnsnmore.com

Jean

Sister #1455
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  05:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jean, I'm going to look into this.

quote:
Originally posted by TwstdStitch

Judy: This is why I use the olive oil soap base. Was searching for something to help my 80 year old Mother who couldn't find a soap she used to use years ago. All she remembered was it was olive oil and there was a clay in it. The easy M and P recipe I used made her happy. It's great, but not greasy.

quote:
Originally posted by JudyT

I have been wanting to make my own soap for a while now since I have a bit of dry skin but not real bad. Does anyone have advice on this about a good homemade soap to help dry skin?

JudyT~Illinois
Farmgirl #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farm" girl at heart, sharing my life at,
http://dailyyarnsnmore.com

Jean

Sister #1455

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  6:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I have made bar soaps with oatmeal before, which is great for rashes and itchy skin - used oconut oil and oatmeal to help it soften the skin. Also made my own detergent recently - it is liquid, not very thick. I use vinegar to rinse too - but the real gems are the addition of washer balls and dryer bals - they are reusable balls (9 small balls for the washer and 2 large nubby balls for the dryer) that help make the the clothes softer in both the wash and dryer. The same ones are usable for at least three years. I may have to try the dry detergent next - after I finish off the 5 gallons of detergent i just made.

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  08:16:34 AM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to make my own soap for a while. The only thing holding me back is working with lye. I'm a little nervous about it because I have a propane stove and the books keep saying how flammable the fumes are... I don't want to blow my house up! I thought "well what did they do back in the day when all they had was lye soap and what did they heat it up with?".

I also found a "recipe" for homemade lye from wood ashes. Is that recommended, has any one tried that method? Does anyone else make soap on a propane stove? Thanks!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  08:52:56 AM  Show Profile
You don't heat up the lye. When lye is added to cold water, it raises in temperature to about 180 degrees. You can do this part outside. I have been making soap for 22 years, both cold and hot process soap, and I've never lost a house to it! ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  09:22:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda, Welcome to the family of farm girls. I've have been making Goat soap for about three years. Just love it. It is so rewarding as well. I also love giving to others, as a servant of God. Love brightening up others day. Would like the recipes as well of the dish soap, and also your laundry soaps ladies that wouldn't mind share the recipes.
Have fun learning and keep us posted how your doing.
God Bless; farm girl sister Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  7:01:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Suzanne! Now I feel better about trying out soap making at home!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  7:50:13 PM  Show Profile
I've been here since early January and enjoying getting my feet wet. I have been interested in homemade laundry soap for a while. But I don't really know quite where to begin.

Would anyone like to give some recommendations for a real beginner to get introduced to soap making? I don't know quite where to begin!

"Find your own Calcutta!" Mother Teresa

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  10:17:07 PM  Show Profile
I have been making old fashioned lye soap for years, found a recipe from 1865 that is just like your great grand parents may have used. Yes I know some of you will cringe at the fact I use animal fats but I love the old ways of doing things so I am happy with what I do. I grew up in the Ozarks of Missouri where lye soap was used for washing clothes, floors, dishes & bodies. for gifts I will add natural herbs to it such as mints, lemongrass & so on. I am going to teach myself how to make lye from ash this summer once I don't need the wood stove going anymore. Hey I wonder if there is a patch for that...lol...Michele'

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  12:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jean! I know this is over a year old, but thought I'd try to answer your question about washing soda. I'm not exactly sure what's in it, but it's literally called "washing soda". The only kind I can find is Arm & Hammer washing soda and I buy it at Kroger. I use the washing soda PLUS the borax plus grated soap and water to make my liquid laundry detergent. The Fels Naptha soap is an old timey basic lye soap that some of us grate and use in our laundry detergents. Hope this helps!

quote:
Originally posted by TwstdStitch

I have a stupid question...as soon as I sign off I bet I'll remember the answer. LOL

What do you consider "washing soda" ?? I use Borax along with my other detergent and always thought THAT was washing soda. Or are you talking about something different when you mention Borax? I use the "20 Mule Team.....".

Also, saw someone here mention the Fells Naptha soap and would love to have a recipe for making my own. Thanks :))[/br]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  08:45:31 AM  Show Profile
I am FRUSTRATED at getting a consistent product for liquid hand soap. I had one batch that I consider a success and the others are only immediate family worthy

I seem to be okay getting the clarity desired, but the thickness and color (I like to include goat's milk).

Is it reasonable to be able to add Goat's milk without having the batch turn out so dark? If I add it at trace, the soap is a lovely brown gel. If I add it at the dilution stage it is a color I can live with but am fearful that it will go rancid since the cooking portion / chemical reaction portion is complete ... am I thinking right or is there hope?

On the thickness, it is either too thin or my latest batch looks good - all dissolved - but as it sequestors it has a really thick top layer (top 1/3). I know I cut back my liquid way back to attack the thinness issue...is it just a matter of adding more water...or...

Ok...know this is a book. If someone has any advice or wants to take it offline, I would SO appreciate it!

(I do love my CP and CPOP goat's milk soap. And the shampoo bars, and the laundry soap ... but liquid hand soap is my nemesis!)

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  11:14:17 AM  Show Profile
Liquid soap is a tough one. It takes a while to get the technique down right. I have several books about it but have never tried it. I do know that certain fragrance oils and essential oils can thin the soap. I've heard that adding table salt will help to thicken it back up. Good luck!

Handmade soap and lotion bars! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #1000
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  9:50:13 PM  Show Profile
I did not know that there is a "cold" way of making soap. I will have to look it up. I have always been afraid of the process involved with making soap but have wanted to do it for years.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Anyone making their own soap? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page