True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile
.....canning stuff.
That's the emergency call I received from my younger sister last night at 11:00 p.m.
She had just finished processing salsa and needs to find a 12 step group .LOL
She is a newbie at canning and so far has made strawberry jam, sweet pickles, dill chips, peach melba jam (YUM) salsa and canned tomatoes.
Today she is making pickled green beans.
Since we make totally different things I don't want her to stop. Our larders will be full this fall.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ha-Ha... that is so funny! She will be so glad come about January :)

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile
Sign me up for that program too! LOL I have been canning and canning and I keep finding more stuff to can. I just can't stand to see any of it go to waste so I just keep on canning.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  6:49:06 PM  Show Profile
9:45 PM here, and just starting to can green beans(still on the vine, plucking as we speak), & a boatload of tomatoes my neighbor gave me cause it according to her, it was so easy to pick up a can in the store & she was ready to pull up the plants. Also have about 40 extra large peaches waitng for some attention too..
Love it!! Wish I had nothing else to do, but unfortunately, we have a full weekend, so I will can in between everything else!
Lot of pingin goin on!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  7:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great! I am going to be going to our farmer's market next weekend and buying up bunches to can. I can't wait!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  9:30:12 PM  Show Profile
I also have that problem. I love to can and can't stand to see anything go to waste. When I think I have canned enough, I give produce away, but everyone around here gardens, so there aren't that many to give away to. A couple of years ago I had an abundance of tomatoes. I had made everything I could think of and still had bushels left, so I put them in the back of my pickup, along with several plastic grocery bags and hit the road. I went to the hairdressers and asked if anyone wanted free tomatoes (customers and staff), I went to the bank and did the same thing. If I saw someone walking down the road, I stopped and gave them tomatoes. I even parked near the market and caught people going in before they bought tomatoes. I gave away eight bushels of tomatoes a bag at a time. I just couldn't bring myself to put them in the compost.

I am constantly looking for gourmet recipes to can so I can have different things throughout the year. We are on a fixed income, so what I can determines how well we eat the following year.
Go to Top of Page

Kellymorse1
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Kelly
Hancock MA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  9:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Gosh~
My tomatoes are still green. We've had so much rain and cold here in New England I'm not sure they will ripen. Only one zuchinni, and no yellow squash. Difficult garden year.
Canned a bushel of peaches 2 days ago...and a crock full of pickles.
I love this time of year! Guess I'll be hitting the farmers markets for more produce.
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  6:02:15 PM  Show Profile
That is too funny - 3 years ago I found a fabulous recipe for zucchini relish right as I had a ridiculously large crop of zucchini - didn't want any to go to waste so I ended up with 49 pints of relish and still composted some zucchini. I mean how much relish does a family reasonably use in a year anyway?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  04:58:51 AM  Show Profile
I have canned so much there are a few people getting a basket of canned goodies for Christmas. Hee Hee

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help me, I can't Stop.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page