Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Butter Crocks Next Topic  

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  04:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever use or tried those butter crocks that you keep out on the table to keep you butter soft. Thought about getting one a while back, but just wasn't sure. Didn't know how it would be for the butter to be setting out. They claim it is for all seasons even the hottest ones.
Now seen an ad for them again. I only use butter and love the idea of having it spreadable at all time. Cause I don't always think about getting it out of the fridge to soften before I need it.

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  04:58:49 AM  Show Profile
I have something called a Butter Bell. It works wonderfully. I try to keep fresh water in the bottom of it and the butter which I make keeps just fine. If you don't use that much butter just don't fill the crock up!!
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  05:51:30 AM  Show Profile
I have been looking for something for my butter too. I keep ours in a covered butter dish but on warm days it gets pretty soft. We only use butter as well. I cringe when I eat at someones house and have to use "butter" out of the plastic brown tub. Because it tastes exactly like the plastic brown tub. YUCH!!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  06:03:27 AM  Show Profile
We use a butter crock here. and for the most part it works great. Just remember to put clean water in it every other day or so. AND when the butter in the bell part gets low, fill 'er up cuz sometimes when you lift the bell up the butter slides down in the water if its not full. I love mine. Got it at Lehmans.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  08:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I have one but can only use it in the cooler months. In the summer time the butter goes bad really fast if you leave it out. Even if I was changing the water daily.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:37:21 AM  Show Profile

Toby, I have heard that the "stuff" that comes in the brown plastic tub is only one ingredient away from the plastic tub itself. My daughter uses it and she got tired of me bringing my own butter when going to her house for dinner that now she buys butter and it is just for when I come over.

My Daddy's parents owned a dairy so he was raised on butter, whole milk and cream. My Mom's parents lived in town and switch to Oleo as soon as it went on the market. I remember the bag of white goo that had a capsul in it the you smashed and worked it into the oleo to make it yellow. It was against the "law" to sell it already yellow. Didn't want people to mistake it for butter.

I only use butter and keep it out 2 sticks at a time, year around. My butter dish is upside down from a truditional butter dish. It is deep and the lid is shallow. It has a cow on it so there will be no question that it is real butter.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  12:25:21 PM  Show Profile
I just keep mine on the counter with a lid on. it is in a glass container and sometimes it does get really soft but I never remember to take it out of the fridge. I have never had it go bad on me this way. I have seen the kind where you put the water in. Wondered if in the hot months you could just put an ice cube in and let it melt?

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  1:25:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I got one of the marble butter bells from Lehmans and it keeps my butter nice even in the hottest of weather.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  2:42:33 PM  Show Profile
I love mine!
I got mine at RED WING Pottery in Red Wing MN
It fits a whole stick of butter.
Remember to change the water every few days.
Karen P

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  05:32:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all for your thoughts. Glad I asked. I'm going to check around to see where I can find a good deal.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  07:06:38 AM  Show Profile
I own one but I never use it! I guess it's more of a decoration :)
We use a TON of butter. And it just sits out on a plate in the kitchen. We go through it pretty fast though between baking and meals- I'd say about 1lb a week. Good quality butter (organic, from grass fed cows) takes a long time to go bad sitting out.
Hope that helps! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  6:25:50 PM  Show Profile
I have never seen a butter crock. Any idea where I could see one. It sounds like something I would really use. I used to make my butter all the time, but do not have access to cream anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  7:15:48 PM  Show Profile
I use a butter bell and I love it. When I am not going to need the butter for a few days I pop it in the fridge and it keeps well. I take it out and in a short time its ready to use again.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  2:33:51 PM  Show Profile
I was at the farm store today and found something called a stoneware butter keeper. It sounds like what you have been talking about and I'm giving it a try. Wish me luck. I love butter but hate when it is so hard I can't spread it.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  4:24:30 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, that is the very thing I believe that everyone is talking about. I have never heard them called butter bells. I like it though. such a cute ring to it. sorry I just had to :/

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  03:03:44 AM  Show Profile
I use a butter bell also. In the winter I use a large sugar bowl, just to change things up a bit.

Heather, I agree that good quality butter lasts a bit longer. At least that's what I've found since making our own using our own fresh milk.

Belle, thanks for sharing your memories of butter/oleo. I have never heard this before.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  05:36:03 AM  Show Profile
I use one too, it's called a butter boat due to its shape. Works great!
Go to Top of Page

anniecat
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Michigan
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  09:05:54 AM  Show Profile
I wanted one for a long time, but couldn't justify the price+S/H, since I could never find any locally. I lucked out a couple years ago, when someone donated their unwanted Christmas present to the local GoodWill. I got my Butter Bell for for $2- talk about making your Christmas money last, lol. I've started putting a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide in the water, which seems to help keep any ickyness at bay. The other thing, is keeping crumbs out of the butter or the water- that's easier with only adults in the house then I imagine it would be with kids.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Butter Crocks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page