katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  08:40:32 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so just how many of you Have vintage or late model travele trailers????
Raise you right hand....

How many of you Want vintage travele trailer???
Raise your left hand...

Owning a travel trailer, teardrop, canned-ham, etc is such a trip.
The 3 best things are:
decorating them.
showing them off(bragger's rights)
snuggling down in them (Glamping)

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 13 2009 08:49:36 AM

MustangSally
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sally
Gwinn MI
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSally a Yahoo! Message
Hi Grace,

I have a 1958 Shasta Airflyte. I love it...and I agree the best thing about it is decorating it. I'm constantly on the hunt for retro 50's stuff. I'm just to the point where I can decorate as we've had it for two years and have been working on the interior that long. We had to totally gut it and start from scratch...like alot of people do. We camped in it for two summers in its undone state. Now I can start hanging things on the walls. I'd also like to add a wood "bunk" over the rear bed like so many have to store our vintage luggage while we're camping. I checked out your blog and I see you have that.

Do we have any other Sisters on the Fly here?

Happy trails,

Sally
SOTF #1123

Happy Trails!

Check out my vintage camper at http://sallysnowflake.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:24:36 AM  Show Profile
I have a 1971 something or other. Right now it is completely torn apart and is being remodeled. Glamping in the future, though.

Sherone

http://tinytaylorranch.etsy.com
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
OKAY GRACIE.. you're killing me! LOL

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  4:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I Finally went to Chaps! Wow. That is what my trailer wants to look like. I have a '75 Airstream. It wants to go western. I've been too chicken to tackle it. But I can feel the storm coming...

I need to know what you recommend: I want to decoupage old photos, old sheet music, etc. on a wall in the trailer. I'm all new to this trailer stuff, so what do clever gals use to put wallpaper type stuff up that won't peel off in the extremes of heat/cold when not in use? I could just slap up a test strip and see if it holds up this winter, but I don't know if I'm that patient. :)

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Aug 13 2009 4:23:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSally
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sally
Gwinn MI
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  4:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSally a Yahoo! Message
Hi Michelle,

I did some decoupage to a suitcase about 15 years ago using Modge Podge and its still like the day I did it. A lot of pictures I've seen have the kitchen cupboards decoupaged and it looks great.

Me, on the otherhand, I just spent hundreds of hours stripping cabinets, installing, staining and varnishing all my new birch. I shudder at the thought that someone 50 years from now will be gluing anything to it! lol It all comes full cirle! Good luck with your project. :o)
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  7:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Michelle ~ Let me know~ I am a decopage QUEEN ~ I will come and help you "stick her up".. Love the idea!

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  7:46:28 PM  Show Profile
OK, so I am thinking we need our "decopage queen" come do a "class"...
I luv to decopage stuff.....from clear glass plates to suitcases....and everything in between.
Yep, Sally you are soooo right,,,Modge Podge...used it back in the '70's and it is still the goo of choice....
Now they have 2 types, a satin finish and a gloss finish.
Rene'....come on....I can almost feel it...a cute lil cream on cream toned canned ham.....after all, Oct is just around the corner...hee hee hee....
Michelle,,,,I luv your Airstream and deco "a la Chaps" would be perfect. P.S. Bev got her Vino & luvs it.

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  9:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Grace~ I can see it too!

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:09:38 PM  Show Profile
so now that we call you RFG rather than PFG...what shall we call your (soon) trailer? Princess? haha!
Poor Firemama~Amanda's head is swimming with wonderful ideas for cutsiefying up her lil '71 Breeze....and I am all too happy to help... after all, what are 'sistas' for? lol!
hugz

Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I have too many ideas I dont even know where to start.......

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  11:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Remember what I said... "Show No Fear!"
I posted a pic of your trailer on my trailer (gvr) blog....hahaha!
I am lovin the colors you choose,,purple & green, but then what's not to love,,,besides those are my 2 favorite colors.
Hugz & thanx for the Plums...I shared some w/Julia

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  06:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Grace~
I am thinking of "Cream and Sugar" keeping with my color theme :)

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Although my hubby expressed either "Lacy Mae" or Daisy Mae.. HUMMM

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Dad had a wooden interior vintage trailer in Mexico...darling! But he sold it. Nah, the Airstream has 70's giant yellow flowers in some sort of odd material sheathing the inside. Until I really have a shop built and really go after a major restoration, I think decoupage and paint will cute her up just fine. I won't mind gutting and rebuilding it all later...ha ha...until I'm covered in the project...

But will decoupage (which I have done) stand up to the temp. extremes? All my previous projects have been enjoyed indoors. I'm thinking some sort of stain/varnish to give it an aged patina.

And bedcovers made of chamois or some other soft leather stitched together like a crazy quilt. So now I have a new thing to collect...

It would be so fun to have anyone interested over for decoupage and vino! Now there's an image. Think we'd end up with Modge Podge and family photos on each other. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:34:47 AM  Show Profile
So now what I need is a vintage horse trailer with a bit of living space. The airstream is too much of a behemoth for me to consider actually touring around in. And if I go camping, chances are, once he's mature, I'll want my horse with me too. Or maybe just a good horse trailer and a hammock. :) With a tote of all my glamping goodies in the tack room. Glamping al fresco!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:14:22 AM  Show Profile
We went out on a limb and bought a 1970 Aritocrat. It is 17' long and I dont think it had been cleaned since 1970. It certainly hadne been updated.
We tore out the oul upholstery and recover the seats with red futon covers. My sister had to cut down and hand stitch the ones for the dinette to fit properly. We cleaned and painted the interior white. Went camping for 2 weeks and tok the sewing machine with us. Made all the curtains shile we were camping. Red and white gingham with a cherry border. Found some antique quilts in red, blue, black and white patchwork. The woman sold then to us as cutters but I was able to repair them and they look darned cute now. We are leaving for a 2 week camping trip this sunday and are going to decoupage the cabinets while we are there. We would like to repaint the exterior this fall, any suggestions on what to use???
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey Michele~vintagediva...use good old 'mod podge' for decopodging...it comes in gloss and satin so you can decide which you like. I usually put 2-3 layers of varathyne to seal it, so to me it doesn't matter if the mod podge is satin or gloss finish.
So when are you going to post pics of your tin hut? we want to see it...

ok Michelle~huckleberrywine, I nearly spewed coffee out my nose when I read your "decopadge & Vino" comment...and I suspect you are right! we'd have more 'podge' on us the the object 'd art! lol!
Hey Rene' I'm liking it, Sugar & Creame....and your hubby is toooo funny....How about 'Daisy Mae shabby Sugar-n-Creame'....?hahah!
Oh for sure Michelle, I put 2-3 layers of sealant(varathyne) on my decopadged works..
So Rene' hurry & get your trailer, then we can all tow our tin huts over to Michelle's for one Grand
decopadging party(& vino)! wooohooooo!

Edited by - katmom on Aug 14 2009 09:55:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:45:28 AM  Show Profile
hey Michelle, just another thought...wouldn't it be cool to find old "Western Movie" posters and blow them up & then decopadge them onto the side of Quig's horse trailer??????
And of course you have a certain horse pelt that could be used for the interior....aacckk! that would probablly give poor Quig's nightmares.....lolololol!
Ok, so I am one sick puppy! haha!

Edited by - katmom on Aug 14 2009 09:47:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  3:16:10 PM  Show Profile
LOL!! ya'll crack me up!!! We still haven't identified what type my trailer is...but we are still working on her, I have been colecting decor items for her and started sewing stuff for her!! It is fun...I just hope I get to get her out on the road soon!!!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there, you will be on the road befor ya know it....and having the best time in your cutie of a trailer.

Be sure to Think Outside The Box.....be creative, have fun & Show No Fear when it comes to working on & decorating your trailers.

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  10:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Gracie and Michele~ Adding the vino could be dangerous~ best make sure we have some adhesive remover incase we find ourselves in need come the morning :)

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  10:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
Thanks for the info. I had planned on modpodge but didn'y know I 'd need the varathane, too.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  6:01:03 PM  Show Profile
hahaha! Rene' soooo true! lol! I can just see us waking up the next morning w/cute farm pics 'podged on our foreheads! hahahah!

hey Michele,
you can get the varathyne in satin or hi-gloss.
Firemama is thinking about decopadgeing her banquette table in her trailer & then varathyning several coats over it to give it a "glassy" finish.
Also, some of the gals I know w/trailers have used "chaulkboard' piant while others have used 'magnetic' paint on the wall next the their entery door...with the chaulkboard handy you can write notes while those who choose to spray on the 'magnetic' paint use it to put on souvenior magnets or to put pic's w/magnets...
Oh and another thing, we bought one of those packs of 2. small LED pop lites, I leave one on the banquette seat by my trailer door and one next to my bed...the one by my door, so when I come in I can pop it for lite, as my interior trailer lite switch is on the opposite wall and the one by my bed is so I can pop it on at nite to peek at my clock or what ever. Plus they are great for dry camping. They run about $7 for a set of 2 and should last you a year, maybe even longer. You can find them at big box stores as well as Targets, etc.
Ok, I am off to go play....

Go to Top of Page

MustangSally
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sally
Gwinn MI
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  7:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSally a Yahoo! Message
Grace, I like your idea about the pop lights. My husband and I never seem to leave the campfire at the same time to go to bed so I have a nightlight. If you haven't seen it yet its from Gooseberry Patch and is in the shape of a vintage camper. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://www2.gooseberrypatch.com/gooseberry/products.nsf/v.weball/Rv_Night_Light_-Iteml594?editdocument&lid=is_L594|cartprocess=icertona

Also, it swivels so it will work on an outlet in just about any position.

What's the other thing you can pour over a table to make it glossy? Epoxy?...that doesn't seem right. I can't think of what its called..

Happy Trails!

Check out my vintage camper at http://sallysnowflake.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  10:23:35 PM  Show Profile
I believe it is just good old 2 part resin...you mix the resin W/hardner and pour it over the intended object. Back in the '60's suzie homemakers make those resin/acrylic grape clusters.(which I collect) In the '70's it was popular to make tables out of wooden electrical spools, first you put momentos in the table surface then poured on the prepared resin.
You can still find the stuff at hardware stores.
ok, now I am off to take a peek at gooseberry patch. thanx for the tip Sally.
hugz

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Outpost: Previous Topic Vintage Travele Trailers.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page