Page: of 2

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  2:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
to do out doors? Is it camping, fishing, hiking, walking, ect.. I would have to say hiking and walking. I really want to learn to fish and go camping.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  4:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Fishing, no hunting, no I think fishing, ahhhhhhhh maybe hunting, Oh heck, both, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  4:54:06 PM  Show Profile
My favorite thing to do outdoors is to just observe. I find little things, seeds, pieces of bark, branches, feathers, that I take home and display. sounds weird, but i like to just be quiet in nature and wait and see what she shows me.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  7:46:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Cindy, Ithought I was the only one on earth who picks up "stuff" while out in the woods. I have a good sized wooden bread trough that used to be used for letting bread raise and I put my found items in it. It's amazing how beautiful a collection of feathers, nuts, even a skeletal head of some little creature can be when just plunked down in a natural bowl. My grand kids always have enjoyed seeing what new finds I have and love to add to it.
Enjoy your natural spot!
N@n

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  8:13:47 PM  Show Profile
N@n--I think the most meaningful item I ever found was a piece of bark from what I called the Grandfather tree. It was the oldest and largest oak in my neighborhood. During and ice storm, part of it fell on a house so the people decided to cut it down. So i kept a piece of bark from it. It seemed like such a wise old tree, there was something comforting about its presence. I love your use of the old wooden trough to display your found treasures.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  04:14:15 AM  Show Profile
Camp, hike, walk in the creek, collect rocks, just explore nature with my girls. See things through their eyes. Fish. Perhaps saying what I don't like would be easier!

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  04:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Although I love just being outdoors in general, and used to fish all the time when I was younger, never hunted though, I have to say that my favorite thing to do outdoors is walking/hiking. Camping comes next.
As a matter of fact, it's always been a dream of mine to hike the entire appalachian trail- alone, and of course camping would go along with that! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  05:44:30 AM  Show Profile
Hiking, camping, geocaching and letterboxing, all while listening to natures sounds. Ah, on my hikes I normally find a great tree climb in it and sit and listen for a few minutes then off I go again. I hope to through hike the Florida trail one day, alone HAHA I'm too scared.

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  06:13:56 AM  Show Profile
My favorite thing is just being OUT...and as much as possible, but I do have a favorite means of travel, my horse. It just doesn't get any better than that <for me>. I've always got found goodies on board, pockets of rocks/fossils etc and I can take more if I've got saddlebags. There are a lot of old, abandoned homesteads on the prairie and I like taking home old bottles, enamelware etc. We ranch for a living, so I have ample opportunity to be out. A treat for me is to go to the nearby mountains and ride since we live in cattle country, out on the plains...where the deer and the antelope play :o) Favorite thing? ALL of it. Shery Jespersen

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  11:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Cindy, I don't think it is weird at all because I do it alot! I love finding new seeds, small rocks, pine cones, flowers, bark, ect. My most favorite thing is when it snows!! I love to take long walks and listen to the birds. I feel so much closer to god when I am in nature!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  11:38:16 AM  Show Profile
ooooh, fishing. I LOVE fishing. I'm not really a good fish catcher, but I can cast my pole all day long. My grandpa taught me from an early age to cast a fishing pole-and every time I go fishing I'm filled with tons of wonderful memories of my grandpa (In his healthier days) and I spending a whole day out on a sailboat or at the docks fishing. I don't think we ever caught a fish fair and square (We went to a pay pond where you paid to catch fish-it was heavily stocked), but every single time I remember, and treasure.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  4:31:08 PM  Show Profile
When I was younger, I backpacked for weeks not seeing any other person than my husband. After a few knee surgeries, carrying a pack is difficult. But I love to walk in the woods, where I see no cigarette butts, cans, twinkie wrappers etc. I love the feel of the trail, cushioned with pine needles, look at the moss & flowers that may be at the base of a tree. My favorite experience was at least 20 years ago in the Glacier Peak Wilderness area of WA St, when I was a captive audience of a doe who came to see me as I was perched on top an outdoor bathroom pit. She munched grass within 6 feet of me as I sat there. I was afraid to get up. After awhile, she mosied off, but returned to our camp later that night with others. She had a scar on her left flank & we named her Nosey. The next day, we watched as she ran in a grassy field. Dan had put down his white ball cap, so he could take pictures of Nosey as she seemed to want to get closer to me. As Dan maneuvered away from his cap to get a good picture, Nosey ran over to it, picked up the bill in her mouth and trotted away with it. We have a picture of her doing that. For several days, she & other doe would be curious as they munched in an alpine flower field. We only caught sight of one buck, but we fell in love with our wild "Nosey" deer. When we left the area, we were sad, as in one month, hunting on horseback would be allowed. We were afraid to think of what happened to her, but God gave us special gifts that week, as we realized that He created all living things, and as the Bible says in Genesis, He called it good.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  04:05:06 AM  Show Profile
Kayce! We're letterboxers too. I forget in the winter!

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  5:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
What is letterboxers?
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  7:22:49 PM  Show Profile
We like to go horse camping. Sometimes we pack everything in with us for a four or five day trip riding on big ranches here in Oklahoma. Other times we trailer our horses two or three states away and ride somewhere different. We stay at RV campgrounds that have accomodations for horses and we stay in the living quaters in our horse trailer. There's always alot of fishing, hunting, outdoor dutch oven cookin' and sitting around a campfire looking at the stars when we're out camping.
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  8:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Channah, check out this site about letterboxing... http://www.letterboxing.org/ It's a lot of fun. Haven't done it in a long while but still have our stuff/box/notebook/stamp. Maybe we'll give it a go come spring.

I like to camp. I love being near water. I don't care what kind. When I was a kid, there was a big old oak tree near a small stream in the woods near my house. I loved to walk back there and read. I'd take an old blanket and set it down on the mossy side of that tree and be back there for hours.

There is nothing like a good nap outside either! Under a tree, in a hammock, or just on the porch in my rocking chair wrapped up in my sleeping bag checking out the stars before nodding off.... Yeah, sleeping outside is good.
Go to Top of Page

donna rae
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Donna Rae
Virginia Beach VA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  5:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Camping! My sweet husband and I have been tent camping for years. The sound of the breeze in the evening, the smell and dancing light of the campfire. The sticky sweetness of perfectly roasted marshmallows. A nap in the sunshine in the afternoon. Sipping wine in our camp chairs. *sigh* I haven't been since my latest surgery in May, but I hope to go this summer again.

Donna Rae
Farmgirl Sister # 593
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:29:26 AM  Show Profile
I am a horseback rider too. Up to now we have been restricted to local parks and stuff. But, now we have a trailer and plan to go further and further. Can't wait to do some camping with the guys. Can cover some beautiful trails we have done trails in Arkansas and Missouri beautiful.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:54:10 AM  Show Profile
...taking a nap on a blanket under a shade tree!
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  6:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh I love to do that too Karrieann.
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies, this is to all of you who love to collect little things in nature such as little rocks, pinecones, etc. I have been thinking and I thought it would be so much fun to do a nature swap. I was thinking we could do this in the spring when there are wild flowers we could press. So what do you think? And this is a swap where you can swap and share the little things you find in nature such as a neat little rock, or a beautiful little flower that you can press, or a neat little peace of bark, you name it. I could partner you up or we could all just swap. What do you think? Is this just a dumb idea? Let me know!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Country Girl 06
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Danyelle
Haughton Louisiana
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  08:23:50 AM  Show Profile
Camping, fishing, hunting,and my new favorite is duck hunting which I finally got to do the past season. I like just walking and hiking around looking at nature, listening to the birds, squirrels, and seeing deer. I have also found some neat looking rocks and one of them looks like it has a cross on it. There is always something interesting you will find when walking around but in the summer time you have to watch out for that poison ivy and oak. That stuff always seems to find me. One day I want to go horseback riding in the mountains. I'll probably go do that in Colorado.

Just a girl with big dreams.

Edited by - Country Girl 06 on Feb 04 2010 08:26:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

hikerchic
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Stacey
ravenna oh
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  07:44:51 AM  Show Profile
I just love being outside in general. I hike as much as I can. It's my favorite outdoor activity. I always take my camera along, but I also enjoy just spending a day sitting on the back porch knitting, reading, or watching the birds at the bird feeders. My very lazy cat Pepper is almost always at my side.
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Outdoor cooking!!!!!!!Open fire with my dutch oven!
Or maybe mushroom hunting is my favorite.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.

Edited by - Rea231 on Mar 01 2010 07:10:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  08:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Channah you may be young but you have some very nice ideas. The nature swap is nice. My husband and I newly retired last year are going to start taking long camping trips across the USA. We both love the out doors in all ways, camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, site seeing we just love the out doors so to take a few years as we can with health to travel and spend our life savings before we are to old seams like a good idea to us. We start our large trip in May. Virginia to PA on to Washington state and Alaska before heading home once more. Just to regroup and start once more with some time back at home. Yes there are many stops on our trip and I am still working on that please all you ladies on this site give me some input and I will keep you all posted as we camp, travel ans see our great USA. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  9:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool Lillian!! I hope you will have a great time!! I thought the nature swap would be fun but I guess not. Anyway, have tons of fun and enjoy yourself!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic What is your favorite thing.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page