cityfarmgirl14
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Melissa
Idaho
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  07:05:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm almost done with my first rag rug! I'm going to enter it in the county fair. I'll post a picture of it when I finish....

Does anyone else get tired of tying all the strips together? Boy that happened to me, especially now at the almost-end of my rug.

rag rugs are contagious-my mom and older sister want to do one also!

we had tons of sheets so my mom tore them into strips and we still have a MASSIVE pile of strips!!!!!!!! We're going to need to make quite a few rugs to use these up!

I knit, crochet, cook, bake, sew, and am a country girl at heart!

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
i make all kinds of rugs but mostly wool braided rugs

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store vintage threadshttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=79144
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:24:11 PM  Show Profile
How do you make them? I think they are really neat, and I am in need of rugs for my new (old) farmhouse. I'd rather make them than buy them.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  2:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Make sure you post a picture! Making a rug is on my list of things to do.. I need to be inspired.

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  2:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
We can't wait to see a picture of your rug Melissa. I've not done this yet but it's on my wish list of things I want to learn to do and make.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  4:58:32 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I bet we the same list!

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  5:29:31 PM  Show Profile
I want to see it too! I tried to crochet one and I thought it was kinda hard to do. I had a hard time with it being too tight (tention) Is that how you did yours? Maybe I need to give it another go. I have made them out of strips of fabric and a tool that looks like a crochet hook/needle. They are very pretty but take awhile to do.

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  05:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa -

I'm making rag balls now for my first rag rug. I have been sewing the ends of the strips together, not tying them. I don't know if this would be easier or harder?!? What kind of a loom are you using? I have a Kromski Rigid Heddle loom. So far I've only used yarn and made table runners and scarves. Can't wait to try the rug.

Please post a photo - I'd love to see what you are working on!

Luanne
beekeepersgirl
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  07:44:15 AM  Show Profile
I have crocheted a rug out of yarn for my kitchen, it came out great. I even backed it with that nonslip stuff. And just the other day I made a throw rug for my bedroom out of 6 placemats, it came out great. I always wanted to do a rag rug but really wasn't sure how. Does anyone have the directions?

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

cityfarmgirl14
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Melissa
Idaho
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  4:40:28 PM  Show Profile
lol......I can't figure out how to post a picture.....help!!

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  5:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Cathy-- I love your tagline

I have rug yarn, but do not know how to crochet it..like do I use a hook, would a size K do the job?

I think this is really neat to do and I would love to. I tried the rag rug, but it killed my fingers and I gave up!

Melissa--to post a picture, you need to go to www.photbucket.com or www.flicker.com Once you have uploaded on one of those sites, it will show up with a code for you to paste into your message. After that, you type in your message and copy that code into the message. It will show up the picture :D

hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:12:26 AM  Show Profile
Jessie :: Thank You, I have moved so often that I always say "Just cause I move around doesn't mean I'm Lost, I know how to find my way home" LOL

I used regular acrylic yarn, I just wanted to try it and that was less expensive. I used a double strand. I am sure a K would work out well. Do a sample piece first, 3"x3" size, with a couple of different hooks to see what look you like best.

I would love to try a rag rug but I am not sure how it's done. Is it crocheted with fabric or is it braided then stitched together?

JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:30:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cathy -

The rag rugs I make are 100% cotton strips about an inch wide and woven on a Kromski rigid heddle loom warped with cotton string. They are quite thick and heavy when they are finished.

Luanne

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:35:52 AM  Show Profile
Luanne :: I would love to see a picture of it, if that's possible. Weaving that is something I have always wanted to do. I have just started looking up the how to's and such.

JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:43:03 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any pictures of them, and I've given them all away as gifts!!! When I finish another one I'll try to post a photo. Meanwhile, if you're interested in rigid heddle looms or spinning wheels, the place I bought my loom and my spinning wheel is www.woolery.com. They also have some great tutorial info on the site and they are extremely friendly and helpful.

Enjoy!
Luanne

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

cityfarmgirl14
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Melissa
Idaho
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  4:56:01 PM  Show Profile
My mom won't let me load pictures onto any of those websites, so I can't put a picture up. I'm sorry! I thought I could load it directly onto my post. Sorry!

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  05:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
you can send it in an email to another farm girl as an attachment and they can post it for you with their flicker or photobucket account

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my blog http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my store VintageThreads.etsy.com

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 20 2009 05:07:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  7:37:40 PM  Show Profile
What a timely thread. Just the other day I was reading a blog post about rag rugs and was linked to a tutorial. Instead of sewing the ends of the strips together a slit was made on the end of one which you stuck the beginning of the next strip through. These were braided shaped rugs with the coils hand sewn together. If I can find where I was I'll link it here ;) I haven't tried one yet, but as soon as this semester is over I'll have some project time again to try it.

I am so happy to see loom talk here! I inherited an old loom that is living in my Aunt's pole barn for no other reason than a kid-busy life and I have felt guilty and been thinking about it again. I can almost imagine it saying 'come save me from the kid's and animal's who don't appreciate me'. All I know about it is what I can recall watching my Ma do when I was about 6-8, so not much, lol!

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic rag rugs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page