walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  04:34:59 AM  Show Profile
So, I'm getting hitched in October. What a task! I've been trying to do most things the DIY way, along with enlisting friends and family. We've decided that instead of gifts, we want people to contribute something of their own to the wedding. My soon to be hubby's family is full of talented, creative people. His mom will be doing the cake (She does it on the side) his stepdad will be smoking pork for the dinner, the side dishes are still up for debate...We're having the wedding/reception on the farm out in my favorite field. I'll be making an archway with wire and weaving vines over it. We're growing the flowers here on the farm, (Sunflowers) and I'm doing alot of online (Etsy) shopping for gifts for the flower girls and whatnot. I've made the favors out of little galvanized buckets, put netted bags with sunflower seeds in them, and tied some cute ribbons on it with "Thank you" charms. I ordered monogrammd stickers and put those on the buckets as well.

I am growing about an acre of corn this year for us to use at the wedding, and I've been getting a few fellow farmers market vendors to create things for my wedding. Leaf cast bowls and whatnot. If anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  06:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Firstly, Best wishes to you both. You sound very creative with what you are planning already. I don't think I can offer you any better ideas on that line.

One of my past jobs was working as a ceremony coordinator at a historical chapel for 6 years.....supposedly that was 400 weddings a year. In reality I think I helped with about 500. So I have plenty of experience as far as suggestions for the ceremony. If you need any ideas for that....or anything else let me know. Weddings used to be my middle name---AND I still do love them.

Just stay relaxed and make it fun----but it sounds like you are already.

Beverly
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  06:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I think most of my problems are very simple. I've never been IN a wedding, and I've only been to a few. I have no idea as to what the rules are. Like, do I buy the garter? I'm only having two bridesmaids, so, no showers or anything. Also, I don't want my flower girls tossing petals. I was thinking of giving them little bunches of sunflowers to hand out to each row. I'm not sure...any ideas as to alterate things for flower girls to pass out?

Also, is it alright if my reception is more of a "Serve yourself" type of thing? Like, have a table where the drinks/alcohol is, and have the champagne glasses for the toast in one location, covered, on the table?

There's so many etiquitte things to take care of that I have no experience with. Like, at the rehearsal, who tells who what to do? I don't have a wedding coordinator, and, I have no experience with weddings. These are the things that plague me!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  07:36:27 AM  Show Profile
Megan (Hi, it's Jonni, from Northern Kentucky :))...it sounds like such a great event already!!! I love what you're doing...and you know, it's YOUR wedding, so you want it to reflect both your personality as well as your soon to be husband's. Feel free to dispense with some of the "must do's" because honestly, it sounds like it actually goes against the whole feeling of the wedding you've already created.

My husband is a musician, and though I have some pretty traditional ideals (loving where I come from), I am really forward thinking, and throw aside a great deal of conventional thought...I didn't have a garter. I didn't have a veil. For my blue, I sewed in the hem of my dress a small piece of blue & white china that washed ashore while I was walking on my favorite beach in England. My borrowed was a vintage purse, my old was my godmother's engagement ring from 1919. We got married at 12:00 noon in an mansion built in 1867, and had a friend, a celtic singer, sing acapella "She Moved Through the Fair" (my husband picked the song) for our music, along with an interlude for guest prior to the service of whatever the string quartet wanted to play...

We walked to our reception down the street 2 blocks, wedding party, guests et al to the Irish Pub where we met and spent most Thursdays with friends, and my husband, and 3 other bands (all friends) entertained us all afternoon. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Here's what I do suggest:

Have someone who isn't a family member involved in helping with flowers. The same goes for the food and the cake table (so 3-4), and then, perhaps the person who helped hand out the flowers to the wedding party could also then sort of make sure things are happening at the reception. Tell folks when to commence eating, make the announcement to cut the cake, etc...you will really just be endlessly talking and talking and greeting and talking. You won't notice that 10 minutes have passed let alone the whole afternoon, so you need someone to bring everything back to reality, and to make sure all that you want accomplished for your big day gets done.

I had one bridesmaid...I gave her a color scheme, and let her pick a dress that suited her. Perfect and easy.

I didn't have a flower girl...sacrilege? I don't know. For the time of day, it just wasn't necessary. The "history" of the flower girl is to announce the arrival of the bride (hence, tossing petals). How old are they? What about lavender wands? Or bundles of fresh herbs like Sweet Annie tied with sweet ribbons?

I like the idea of a serve yourself reception, but make sure someone is monitoring the food and drink intake...especially the alcohol. You want to make sure you have enough of each.

We didn't have a "true rehearsal" with all the dinner and everything. We all got together the night before, ran through quickly the walking down the stairs, the ceremony, etc...and then we decorated. I had some appetizer stuff on hand, but there was no formal sit down dinner. It was nice and easy, and we weren't out late to be too tired for the next day's events.

My last suggestion, relax. Everything will be wonderful, and if the calla lily's aren't the color you picked (that's what happened to me), it's no big deal because they're still in the burgandy family, and NOONE knows about it :) And EVERY flower is pretty, so you just go on and enjoy the day. Don't let the details get in the way!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Excellent advice Jonni----if any kink happens...just ignore it and move on.. I had one minister tell everyone at the rehearsal everything was going to go perfect. I respectfully spoke up and said we'll do it as close to perfect as possible---but not to get upset if there is a flaw---you'll still be married.

ttyl

Beverly
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:17:28 AM  Show Profile
So true, Beverly...good response--perfect is almost impossible, and there are many more "rows to hoe" as a married couple...as my husband said when I was sweating all the details in the last weeks before the wedding, "Jon, I don't want a big wedding, I want a big marriage!"

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  09:34:55 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I (married 1 yr. 3 mos) had a small family wedding, vintage style, and I did most of it myself, with my mom and my two best friends. You don't have to do everything that's supposedly normal. Like Jonni, I didn't do a veil or garter. I chose a vintage purse as well, to go with my 1930's dress. My bridesmaids all agreed on a pale blue linen skirt and a white vintage blouse of their choosing. They accessorized with vintage hats, gloves and shoes. They had so much fun with that! I have three young nieces, so they all wore simple white sundresses and were flower girls.

My girlfriend actually owns a Floral design business and so she took care of flowers. Even though my spray roses were bubblegum pink instead of the pale "shell" pink I ordered, I just said "whatever". and went with it. (My wedding sounds a LOT like Jonnis, in fact..... :))
For our rehearsal, we just ran through some quick things and then had a pie "buffet". It was fun.
Many people I know are exceptional musicians and so I had a violist and a classical guitarist. They performed traditional Irish and Appalachian songs such as "Shennendoah" and "Ashokan Farewell". (Our families are of Irish decent.)

We got married in a huge old turn of the century home out in the middle of nowhere. The foods for our reception were cold salads, slow cooked pork, etc.

Favors were tiny 1/2 pint jars of orange marmalade I made myself, tied with a blue bow and a tag that said "Happily Ever After". (Thus my blog, happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com.)

The morning of, thunderstorms pounded the area, and so we had to say our vows over the pouring rain, but it was ok. Later it cleared up and we took photos outdoors.

We loved it; it was relaxed, fun, not stressful; we were able to enjoy our families........ Keep it light and fun. It stinks to be stressed out before a wedding. (I've been in several for my friends and my brothers been involved with planning many as well; and I decided I wasn't going to spend my wedding day stressed out and upset about plans.) Congrats!

Edited by - Hosanna on Jul 23 2009 09:39:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:30:49 AM  Show Profile
Hosanna, your wedding DOES sound a lot like mine! Congratulations!!! The first year is the most wonderful (and the most difficult, learning to live with one another). We've been married 8 years this August 4th, and I remember our wedding day like it was yesterday--there were a few "oopsies" and honestly, I could have cared less. I had a nice corset underneath my gown, that held up thigh high stockings, and one of the straps broke while I was attaching it to the stockings. My mil was helping me get dressed and she stopped suddenly, and looked at me realllllly funny. I guess I was supposed to freak out or something!!! She asked if I was "ok" and I said, "why?" "Well....because this thing broke!" I said, "well, I have three more!" and on with the day!!!

We have a little girl now, and I can't wait to see what she comes up with should she ever marry!

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:14:30 AM  Show Profile
Megan, it sounds like your wedding will be beautiful. I love fall weddings, so many gorgeous colors and the leaves changing. It's wonderful. Don't get too caught up in the minute details. If etiquitte is important to you that is fine, but don't turn yourself inside out worrying about whether or not you're doing all the things etiquitte expects. Emily Post will most likely NOT be attending your wedding, leaving you free to run things the way YOU want to.

I recently coordinated a wedding for a friend of mine at her request. I would definitely suggest enlisting one of your friends or bridesmaids to do this for you. Having someone who is responsible for rounding up the wedding party for pictures, distributing checks for services, and keeping track of all the little things of this nature that need to be attended to will free you up to just relax and enjoy your wedding.

I did not have flower girls tossing petals at my wedding because I didn't want to have to worry about someone needing to vaccum them up later, so my flower girls (my 2 nieces) carried "kissing balls". They looked beautiful and the girls got to keep them, which was very special to them.

You asked about who tells who what to do at the rehearsal. I thought what Jonni did was great. My DH and I were married in a very large Catholic Church and the priest was pretty much the one running the show during rehearsal. You can always speak with the individual who will be officiating. Generally they have done MANY weddings and can help you get everyone headed in the right direction during rehearsal.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  7:03:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, thanks to all of your ideas, I'm cementing quite a few of my "problems" out! My flower girls will have bunches of sunflowers (we're growing them on the farm) and they'll hand them to each isle. I AM hiring a dj, because I think that will take a HUGE load off of my shoulders. We're definitely going to do the "serve yourself" type of reception...and no assigned seating. Too much hassle!

And as far as the whole "rehearsal" goes, I'm going to write an outline! Beverly gave me this idea. How awesome is that? I'll hand it out to my bridesmaids and let them take care of it!

I'm having the makeup/hair lady come to the house to do my hair/makeup before hand, and I'm kicking my fiance out the night before. (he doesn't know this yet!)

We'll have sweet tea, assorted sodas in aluminum wash buckets, each table will have mason jars to drink out of, along with a disposable champagne glass. We'll get the champagne from Costco. It's much cheaper that way.

I found a lady that will make a "Ring plate" for me in leafcast...I'm super excited about that one, and I'm having my flower girls bracelets made off of etsy. (www.etsy.com-really cool site)

It's pulling together! I do, however, need to rent portapotties, because we have a sewer system-it can't handle that much "stuff" at once if you know what I mean!

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  07:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Well, the wedding is upon us! Tomorrow is the big day. I'm going to give you all an update on what I ended up doing DIY, and how everything is going to be.

We're having the ceremony out in a field on the farm. My wonderful fiance built some signs out of wood, you know, the old time signs that have little directional signs on them? He put one pointing towards California (where I moved from) one towards "Bride prep" (the house) one towards "The Reception" also the house, one to "Groom Prep" area, one to "Holy matrimony" (the field) and a few others. He also built me a beautiful archway out of fallen trees that is going up front of the guests. The flowers we grew for the wedding got demolished by a strong wind we had, so I ended up having to order the flowers. I'm still doing the boquets by myself. We're having "flower bearers" instead of flower girls, so my soon to be nephew in laws will be handing out flowers to all the ladies on each row. the ring bearer will have our rings on a ring plate I ordered from etsy. One of my good friends at work made me programs, and I made out of town baskets for my guests with by bridesmaids to give out. I bought some photo mats for people to sign as the guest book.

The reception is in a tent outside the house. My fiance's mom is a preofessional cake decorator, so she made/decorated the cake. My fiance's father is a side-job caterer, so he's doing all the food. (How perfect is THAT!?) I ordered a bunch of Christmas lights to put up in the tent wholesale, and I saved a bunch of money that way.

I made the favors myself. I ordered the tablecloths and the champagne glasses online from sams club, and I bought all the flatware/plates, etc. at sams club as well.

If it weren't for the DJ, photographer, and tent rental, this would've been a really budget friendly wedding.

We'll be taking a honeymoon this winter, as right now it's busy time for the farm.

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  07:36:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh Megan!! Make sure to take a lot of pictures to post here! It sounds like your wedding will be perfect!! Best wishes to you and your fiance!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  07:50:04 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Megan!!! Wow, everything sounds perfect. I can't wait to see some pics :) Blessings to you and your honey :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  08:48:31 AM  Show Profile
Have a great day Megan!!!!!!!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  12:31:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, it went off without a hitch! I won't have the professional pictures for awhile, but, I will be able to post some in a few days once I weed out all the ones that were sent to me via email.

The BEST wedding present I got?

CHICKENS!!!!!!!

I built a coop not too long ago, but haven't gotten around to getting the chickens. My new nephew-in-law who raises all sorts of birds showed up to the reception with THREE chickens in the back of his truck! A big beautiful rooster and two HUGE hens! How awesome is THAT?!

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Woohoo!!! That is fantastic!! Just like the old days!!!

I really love this forum, you people are just like me. I can't think of anyone I know in real life that would near as excited as you Megan, to receive chickens as a wedding present. I think it's just wonderful and soooooo practical and useful!!!

Glad to hear all went well, that is just superb. Can't WAIT to see pictures.

Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic DIY Wedding... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page