Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Cleaning Sewing Machine? Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  08:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I've used my sewing machine heavily for nine years almost and never gotten it cleaned. I found it will cost $100 to get that done, which seems terribly expensive to me. I figured some of you ladies on here would know how to do a decent enough servicing that I needn't spend nearly half what we paid for the thing on a cleaning!

So how do you do it? I was thinking of using the air compressor on a low pressure level to blow out the lint from the thread, and I'm sure it needs some kind of lubricant but what kind, and where do you place it?

Thanks!

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  08:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Sewing machines are pretty easy to take apart and put back together. I got a free Brother machine from a friend and it was rusted so it wouldn't even move so by taking it apart and putting sewing machine oil on everything that moved it is up and running. But remember it will take a bit for all the oil to get set in so don't sew anything but scraps for a while. A pipecleaner will get a lot of dust out too.But that said if you are having tension or any other problems the bucks are a great investment.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  10:53:51 PM  Show Profile
It depends on the machine. Some computerized machines must be cleaned and serviced by a dealer. My viking doesn't require oil at all. The only home maintenance is to remove and clean the bobbin case. Be sure and study the manual on your particular machine. Basic machines are pretty easy to clean and oil. Get a mini vacume attachment for you vacume cleaner and suck out all the lint and thread. Don't use the canned air and try to blow the debris out or you could actually force it into the "works" and cause problems. Good luck. As expensive as the servicing is, they do more than just oiling - they also check the belts and timing and tweak anything that might be out of time.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Thanks ladies!
My machine is really simple, a basic Singer model so I should be able to work on it. Thanks for the tips!
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  04:53:28 AM  Show Profile
Wish we were closer to each other, I would show you how!
If you have your manual that came with the machine, it tells you where to place the oil and the grease if needed. ( if you do not have the manual, you can get a replacement from singer, just go to their site and look under the parts section)

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Greyhound Mom
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  06:09:35 AM  Show Profile
Last year I got a new Husquavarna sewing machine, that I just love! I had a JC Penny sewing machine for about 22 years that I used almost every day. Actually I still have it for a backup, just in case something happens! I never took that machine in for repair. But regularly cleaned out the dust with the spray can of Dust and Lint Remover that you would use for your computer. It really works great and gets into all those places where you can't reach! And also I oiled it now and then.

B~

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth, and we have a sacred duty to protect her and return thanks for the gifts of life."

Edited by - Greyhound Mom on Jul 22 2009 06:10:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

akmom7
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Cara
Seldovia Alaska
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  4:59:11 PM  Show Profile
My dad just came up from the states to visit, and as always he cleaned up my grandmothers sewing machine for me. This has been his job since he was a boy and he automatically makes it part of his list of to do's for me. :-) A little can of oil, a small tooth brush and a very tiny screw driver and in 15 minutes it is hummin' right along! :-)

Cara Mae
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Cleaning Sewing Machine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page