Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Another sign of a bad economy- Poor horses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Another sign of a bad economy- Poor horses Next Topic
Page: of 4

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  9:36:20 PM  Show Profile
This morning it came to my attention that people are dumping horses just like they dump dogs and cats on the country roads. I could not believe it. I was told that since Texas does not have anymore slaughter house business and people cannot afford to feed them, they just drive out in the country and open the trailer door. Turn them out. I know this happened to us recently a strange horse joined our herd and nobody claimed him. He was a huge stud (paint) and we could not chance our mares being bred to him. He was very good and trailered right up for animal control. They took him and put ads in the paper and held him a long time. They finally sold him at auction for $125.

Now we have not only bad economy but it is so dry grass is dying off and there is nothing to graze them on. I just wish we could get some of that rain others are getting. I just cannot stand the thought of dumping like this maybe it would be easier for folks to keep them if pastures were better.

I feel so helpless about it.
LaVonna

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com

http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  9:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is very sad! This has been happening in Montana and Wyoming for the past couple of years- The hay season kept failing and there was a huge shortage of proper feed. We also have some wild horse management areas so people take their horses up to the wild horse range thinking to "set them free" and let them live "wild" but what they don't understand is their domesticated horses don't have the survival skills that the wild mustangs have and they soon become the easy victims for the bears, cougars, and wolves that live in the mountains. And if one of the predators doesn't get to them before the deep winter snow does, many of them die during the winter because their bodies aren't adapted to processing the scant forage like the mustang bodies are. It is horribly sad! I know a lot of rescues are having to turn people away as they are full. If I ever got to the point where I couldn't care for my horse, and I couldn't place her in a good home, I would spend the money to have her euthanized rather than send her through the auction mill or "freeing" her. And not to be crude, but if you can't afford Euthanasia- there is always the possibility of the rifle which if I were a horse I would rather that happen than being chewed on by a cougar!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  9:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That's so sad. But if they can't afford to pay for them any more, they probably think they have a better chance in the wild then them dying off. You know what I mean? Sorry ladies if this does not make any sense. I'm very bad at putting my thoughts in to words. All we can do is pray that God will help them and care for them.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  10:23:48 PM  Show Profile
You know, some people always say "somebody should do something about...." I always say "what can I do ...? " But in this case I cannot see myself doing anything. It just bothers me. We are having to scrounge for hay, pray for rain, feed more rations, pray for rain...there is nothing I can do for these lost ones. And I keep thinking there should be something. Pray for wisdom
LaVonna

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  10:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thats right LaVonna, there is always prayer. Remember god will answer our prays in his time not ours. He does things that we do not understand like animals dying and stuff. but he's always in control, no matter what.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  06:24:40 AM  Show Profile
Why then do people keep breeding more horses?? If there are so many now that people can't keep them we don't need more coming into the world right now. I just can't understand this.

I have goats and am having a hard time selling off the rest of my bucklings right now. There are just 2 really. But I am having to keep all the ones I have sold til butcher time. We will probably just butcher them all in late winter. But I may not breed my does back in the fall. With my luck lately they'll just have more bucks.

I think we all need to be more responsible pet owners. I am an advocate of spaying and neutering dogs and cats. It just makes sense. It just makes me cry to see all these poor animals being abused like this. And it is abuse to taken off and dump them like garbage. It just makes me so mad. It's all we can do to take care of our own animals right now. Plus with all the animal diseases, they could be spreading something bad around to other healthy animals. It just has such a bad ripple effect when things like this happens.

Lavonna, you did the right thing in calling animal control. I'm sure he was a pretty boy, though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  08:04:26 AM  Show Profile
I balanced my herd. One was bred for, a pedigreed horse, and one was adopted. I love them both. They are characters and bring a lot of smiles and joy into my life. I know people see/think about puppy mills, and animal shelters for dogs/cats. Those of us with an interest in horses can do the same that folks looking for a new lap-pet can do. Consider all of the critters and do what your heart, home, and wallet can let you do.

Many shelters for unwanted horses take donations (supplies, money, labor). So, even if you don't have a horse set-up, you can sponsor a horse. It's a way to help out if you don't have the space or time for an adoption.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Aug 09 2009 08:05:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  08:05:39 AM  Show Profile
Horses are being dumped in Southern California also, they are causing traffic accidents, and 2 of those were fatal to the people in the cars, then you have a injured horse that has to be put down on the side of the road. One of my neighbors said that a sheriffs deputy found a dozen shot and dumped in a field a few months back. If you can no longer afford them, and can't sell them or give them away, I know the rescues are all full here too, humanely put them down.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  09:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
What do you think, are they better off in the wild or at home where they will probably starve?
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  10:21:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey LaVonna, this is not new---I've actually heard of this since the end of last year--it seems to be happening everywhere, sad to say. I don't know if there really is anything to do other than support your local horse rescue. I know there is one in Catskill over here that actually has started building an extra barn to house 40 new horses, so that's donation money you can see being used. It is truly a horrible shame, but what can a person do when horses are now considered a luxury item?

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  10:23:11 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I heard of that happening last year, too. And a few years ago when we had a drought in the southeast and there was no pasture or hay.... we were looking at buying hay from as far away as Kansas that year. It was pretty bad. It is really sad, I wish there was something that could be done.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Maggie- they aren't better at home to starve or loose in the wild where they can't cope and will probably starve as well. It is best to humanely put down the horse if you can't afford it or find it a better home. I strongly advocate euthanasia, but if even that is too expensive you can use a bullet. Both of which are much better than having the horse suffer, starve, or cause harm to another person (re causing traffic accidents). It's a very sad situation- one I hope I never find myself in!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  1:54:48 PM  Show Profile
I see people doing what they can to help their horses. I have seen horses tied in yards to the fence or a tree where grass is growing. We have a half mile long drive way and we close the front gate and let them graze all the way down. I have two up here that do not look good. I think it is because their diet has had hay from last year. Any grass is better than that. You know in my working life I am an herbalist and I believe in a varied diet for horses. Not strictly fine grass. Weeds are perfect too and horses are generally smart enough to avoid what they should not have. but that scrubby grass has more nutrition in it than the fancy stuff. I am feeding these two feed with Source added and probiotics. Then I add some Limu to the feed and they are looking better. The Limu is not cheap bu I will use a few bottles. It is a seaweed extract so I think it boosts the Source. Anyway they look better now and the rest look good too. My nephew spends time everyday getting the rotation of pasture done so everyone gets to graze a bit.

My nephew still has 4 lab puupies dumped on the road in January. He is getting them spayed and nutered. We did not need them but nobody else did either. I saved 2 puppies that were dumped a week or two after he acquired his. Two tiny little puppies dumped. I bottle fed them. Of course, nobody needed a puppy when they were ready either. But those two are making good farm dogs. So they are earning their keep.

And I will not EVEN get into the cats. They are all barn cats but there are more cats than barn. The really good news to that is there are no snakes now.

LaVonna

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  7:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LaVonna- That is wonderful! It sounds like you are really making it work at your place! I am glad that there are people like us farmgirls out there. I have a feeling when I have my own ranch I will be picking up strays of all varieties!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  8:17:02 PM  Show Profile
Just one sad part of reality, please don't over extend your self trying to save them all, use comman and practical sense. If you can only realisticly afford 2 horses, 4 dogs, 3 goats, then DO NOT take anymore than that on, because , some will suffer, and so will you. Here where I live, that is an ongoing problem, peoples hearts are in the right place, but they just keep bringing them all home, then suddenly you can't feed them all, or provide proper vet care, can't afford spays and neuters, or gelding, or you have a mare in foal, and did not know, and shes now in trouble because of lack of proper nutrition BEFORE you got her. You can't always be the hero, and you have to learn the sad lesson of , " you can't, no matter how hard you try, save them all", sometimes euthanasia or a well placed bullet is the most humane way.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  8:48:24 PM  Show Profile
The problem of dumping horses is even present here in Illinois. A number of years ago, there was a very bad traffic accident involving a feral horse. They never did find the owners--but they did discover there were three feral horse running wild in the area. I don't know if they were "dumped" or if they just escaped and the owners were too lazy to go looking for them. I agree that it's more humane to put them down than turn them loose--there aren't any natural predators around here, so if they hurt themselves, they die a slow, lingering death. i know horses are expensive to care for, but most of these people who dump horses also have rifles. sounds kind of harsh, but it's better than turning them loose.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  05:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just an example on how bad my horse would do as a wild horse-

Last night a friend and I decided to let her older mare and my young one socialize a bit in the large arena. The older mare didn't really do anything- she just wandered down to the other end to roll in the dirt. Tala after following her a bit turned around and ran back to where we three (me, my friend and her daughter) were watching from a bench about 20 feet from the gate. She loves people and to her, we are safety and security, not to mention her herd. If I were to release Tala (which I never ever would), not only would it be frightening and dangerous for her, it would be an emotional ordeal for her. Like taking a 5 year old to the park and saying "Here you go. You are going to live here without Mommy or Daddy. Bye! Have fun!"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:35:41 AM  Show Profile
I just read that a lady in Washington not sure if it was in DC or the sstate. BUt she found a small dog that was in a garbage bag with ducktape around the top. It had clawed through the bag so it could breath. She called the Humane Society and they came and picked it up. They told her that there was a dog fighting ring theat they were trying to catch. And this poor dog was a victim of training the dogs to fight. I think they need to put these people in rings and let the dogs eat them alive....Only the right punishment for those kind of people.
With the horses and other animals that are abandoned...I have 3 dogs now. And I make sure they are taken care of. I use to do cat rescue...And I fed about 50 cats that were wild. Yes it is expensive and I did have a better paying job then than I do now. But If you cant feed your animals then let someone else have them..

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  5:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is horrible Deborah!! Oh my gosh! The things people do to animals! The poor thing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  07:11:49 AM  Show Profile
People are also taking horses to boarding stables and giving a bogus check for the rent, then disappearing, leaving the barn-owner to deal with the horse.

On my blog, I've written about the local big cat place, tigers and lions, that will take the horses. You make an appt, show up with the horse, give them the horse, they shoot the horse and a meat-cutter man comes in and cuts up the horse which is then fed to the big cats. I got emails explaining the situation from several folks cuz they had done this. At first, I was horrified but honestly, it's a better end than starving or being turned loose or...

I just read in one of my horse mags that actually 30% of horse owners are ADDING to their herds. Now is a good time to get the good blood that normally would be out of price-range. I'm looking at a colt who is half the normal price that he would have had 4 years ago. The breeders freely admit that it's the economy that has his price down. The economy rebounds, his price goes up or next years crop goes up. The economy stays tanked, the prices stay down. But I wouldn't be able to afford him if his price were normal. I'm looking to the future on this one!

People are still breeding cuz they are still making money even though they are feeling the pinch. The really good blood is still bringing the money. I know this firsthand. It's the middle to lesser horses that aren't doing anything and going south. I may breed my mare next year (too late this year) to an uber nice stud who has a mile long show record and stamps his foals with lots of ability/looks/temperment BUT hubby and I are prepared to keep the foal no matter what. Not to re-sell. If someone offers good money for him/her, then, yep, the foal goes. But if no offers, I'm prepared to keep the foal, raise it and keep it.

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I concur about good blood. There are people out there breeding horses that have no business doing it; like a foal mill, because they are misled and think they can make money on just any old horse. They keep their colts intact and pasture breed their mares and end up with a herd of skinny, ill bred horses no one wants to buy. I know people who do this and it makes me ill. The horses don't get fed properly and don't grow, and don't get trained, and then they call me up and want me to train the horses for them........nope. I think there should be regulations on people owning intact colts or stallions. It has ruined it for the rest of us who breed nice horses, as some of the nicer ones with good blood don't even sell for much. The whole situation stinks; especially for the poor horses who didn't ask to be born into such a cruel world for them. I do what I can by getting horses off the track and re homing them. Check out my blog to see.

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  10:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Just heard again this morning on Fox News about the slaughter of horses (pets and riding horses) right in their stables. There seems to be a big market for horse meat in Miami and Dade county in Florida. I don't want this to sound like what this is going to sound like, But, In one part of the country they are dumping horses and another part they are slaughtering expensive and much loved riding horses. Seems like the dumpers and slaughters should get together. Sounds awful, I know. but we slaughter cows, chickens, goats, hogs, sheep, deer, don't forget doves, quail and phesant. Why do we put horses and dogs in a different catagory?

OK, now I am ready to take my beating. Here are your wet noodles, beat me.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  10:52:49 AM  Show Profile
I work for a the largest Horse Rescue Organization in American right now. We have 90 horses at our ranch and 288 horses in foster homes. We rescued 220 mustangs a couple of months ago that have all been adopted into good homes. The problem in this country is the backyard breeders and the racing stock breeders. If they were stopped then there would be no need for dumping, or slaughtering. We fight slaughter not because there is no market for the meat but because of the horrible inhumane way it is done. They are shot in the head with a bolt. Sometimes it kills them sometimes it doesn't. Then they are strung up by one back foot and they begin the cutting up process. Sometime (more often than not) the horse is still alive when they start cutting them up. They pack them so tightly into the trailers to get them to the slaughter house that sometimes the smaller or older ones are shoved to the ground and trampled during the whole trip to the slaughter house. There are more than 3,000. foals bred every year for the 20 slots on the race tracks. Where do all those foals go????? Most of them end up at a slaughter house before they are 3. I have two horses rescued. One from his second brush with the slaughter house (he was days away from a trip there for the second time), the other one our rescue picked up off the side of the road with every rib and bone he had sticking out. He looked like a walking skeleton. Both these horses and gentle and rideable. I can put kids or new riders on them bareback with a halter and lead rope. We don't need to worry about slaughter except to stop it because of the inhumane way it is done. We need to put a stop to breeding. We have 66 horses at our ranch that are young and just need some training. Some will live there the rest of their lives at the ranch never knowing what a family of their own is like. All because someone decided it would be fun to have their mare have a baby. Ok, off my soap box now. Sorry

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  12:18:12 PM  Show Profile
Don't be sorry for being on you soap box, Beth. I watched s video I found on you tube about horse slaughter..... it was horrible, horrible, horrible. They had a video of a horse being shot in the head with a bolt gun. The first shot didn't kill it; neither did the second; then they just started cutting it up. I had to close my eyes and catch my breath when it showed the hide, legs and tail being thrown into a refuse dumpster......(Gulp). I am all for HUMANE TREATMENT of horses/animals going to slaughter.
You're right about the track horses, also. Where do all those foals go???? My husband and I go all the way up to PA to pick up horses at a track there; bring them home, and "rehab" them, and get them new homes.All on our own dollar. Most tracks now have regulations that don't let trainers who sent their horses to slaughter have stalls at the track; but I'm sure some still end up in slaughter. But the bolt guns; the cutting up when they're still alive; that treatment is disgusting, and slaughter houses who do it should be stopped. Otherwise, I think humane slaughter is the only option right now; unless people STOP BREEDING HORSES in their backyards and overpopulating the country with poor, unwanted horses. I am going to try to find that video and post it to my blog; check it out.

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  3:28:52 PM  Show Profile
I get really angry at people that advocate slaughter and never address the breeding issue. We seized 27 last year. The man had mares and stallions living together. He thought he had 11 horses. When we started combing his 100 acre property we found 27 horses all registered arabians that had been randomly breeding. He had 7 breeding stallions all injured because they were fighting for mares and space. The rest were mares and babies. We got a call today on 20 horses, three dead of starvation and the rest almost dead. 5 were stallions. It is just people that do not take responsibility for what they do. We had a baby born last saturday to a mustang mare, 36 years old who had been exposed to 40 stallions on 300 acres in Nebraska. They had babies being born daily when we seized them and most of the mares and babies died. There were 78 dead from starvation. And they were breeding at will. I just get so angry when it could be so easily prevented. All it takes is a castration surgery that lasts about 15 minutes - I have assisted with several - or even just a good strong fence to keep the stallion seperate.
We took in 8 donkeys after Ike hit Houston all the females were pregnant because they were just turned out together. Then when they are grown no one wants them, they go to auction where the killers buy them by the pound. It is disgusting. I have seen the videos of slaughter and I can tell you I would rather them just not be born than have to starve or be shot by that bolt gun and be skinned alive. They are so terrified too as they hear the other horses that go in before them screaming in pain.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  3:32:58 PM  Show Profile
You know I didn't even get into the issue of PMU Mares. They mostly end up in the slaughter house too and their babies. When my Dr. tried to put me on Premerin I yelled at him for 10 minutes. Guess maybe I went overboard but it really ticked me off since he knew I worked with horses.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Another sign of a bad economy- Poor horses Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page