Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  9:05:16 PM  Show Profile
I am curious to know what others are canning this year. Our garden was planted late, so things are just comeing in. I love to hear what others are doing and to get new recipes and ideas. I would especially like to know what you are doing with tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, and peppers?

So far, I have visited the u-pick farm and made Blueberry and Blackberry Pie Filling, canned whole berries, and made sauce for ice cream/french toast. I also stopped by the orchards and have canned Peaches, made butter, conserves, and brandy. The gentleman that farms the land around us gave me an unlimited supply of corn this year and I just finished 8 bushels. Of course, the cukes are coming in, so we have pickles all over the kitchen.

cityfarmgirl14
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Melissa
Idaho
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  07:10:19 AM  Show Profile
I am taking a canning class in a month, so I've never done it but I've wanted to! We going to can green beans and peaches.

just wondering-can pumpkin be canned?
And how do you can tomatoes since you don't need to use a pressure canner?

I knit, crochet, cook, bake, sew, and am a country girl at heart!
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  07:22:44 AM  Show Profile
We've been working on jams and jellies (apricot, huckleberry, wild plum, raspberry, sour cherry, and mint). Finished the nectarines and am hoping to get to the beets today. My tomatoes are still green, but will be canning salsa and pizza sauce when they're good to go. I need to pick pie cherries at my Mom's so I can get cherry pie filling canned.

Melissa, tomatoes have a low enough pH (acidic enough) as do most other fruits, that water bath canning works fine. Veggies and things with a higher pH (alkaline) need to get to a high enough temperature to kill pathenogenic microorganisms. Since that temp is higher than the boiling point of water, those food have to be pressure cooked because that's the only way to get the temp high enough.

You'll have fun canning...it's rewarding to see the jars with food you've done yourself!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  08:55:32 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so I've canned the usual suspects this year. But yesterday I canned my first batch ever of green beans. It was easier than I expected. I've been afraid to tackle the pressure cooked varieties, but not any more. :) I don't know how many times I re-read the instructions (worry wart) but ta-da! 7 pints of pretty home-grown green beans!

Sure, they are cheap enough at the store, and after tilling, planting, weeding, watering, chasing bunnies and gophers, harvesting, washing, chopping, cooking, it was time/effort-expensive, But then I thought of all the fossil fuels I didn't rely on, the fertilizers and sprays I didn't use, the landfill I didn't create, and my modest little glass jars sparkled a bit brighter in my eyes. And no trips to the gym or tanning booth. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Atta Girl Michelle! :)

Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  10:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Pickles right now, have frozen raspberries for jam, I usually wait on the jam until fall, not only is it cooler, and the heat helps warm up the house, but I usually just have too much going on in the summer to do it. Also starting to get a whole lot of beans, so probably beans within the week. Am going to start freezing the okra. Only getting a few squash, which is really unusual. Usually you get more squash than you know what to do with. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  11:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Melissa - Yes, you can "can" pumpkin. There are some wonderful books on food preservation, but I suggest that you visit your local agricultural extension office. Even the largest of cities have a branch within driving distance. I purchased a book through them several years ago called "Complete Guide to Home Canning" (Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 539). Of course it may a newer Bull. No. now. I consider this book my Bible to canning. If you cannot find an office near you, call your local Congressman. His office should be able to get it for you. Good Luck with all of your endeavors. I find canning very rewarding - even with the work it takes to get to it. There is nothing like saying, "I made it myself". I also suggest you start with water-bath recipes and then progress to pressure canning. It is less expensive and less intimidating. I began that way and when I progressed to pressure canning there was no fear.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  11:50:25 AM  Show Profile
You might also want to check out a book put out by the Rodale Institute. It's called "Stocking Up" and covers the basics of everything from freezing, canning, and drying fruits and veggies, and making cheese, yogurt, and butter with dairy stuff. It also has a section on meats and fish and a section on nuts, seeds, grains, and sprouts. Lots of good info!

Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile
I have done the usual jams and jellies, and pickles and relishes. But I have also done some pickled red beets. Our peaches here are just starting to come in full bloom. So I will be doing some of them. I have brussel sprouts to do dilled brussel sprouts I just haven't done them yet. They are my favorite. I uausally freeze my beans and squash along with my corn. Tomatoes are late this year for some reason, but I always put up my spaghetti sauce. Apparently I am about the only person in my neck of the woods that does this anymore. People look at me like I have two heads when I buy some lids or pickling salts. I mean, don't people get how resourceful it is? There is so much being saved by doing this! If people would just give a lil of their precious time, we could save money, fuel and the local farmers!!

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Instead of telling God how big your problem is....tell your problem how big God is.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  1:16:04 PM  Show Profile
Angela - I know what you mean about people looking at you strange. I have tried for years to get my daughter-in-law to learn to can. She says she wants to, but never makes the move. I have even given her equipment that I purchased at auctions. This year we had access to free corn. All she had to do was pick it and she (nor my son) could drive the four miles to do that. Then they moan when groceries are high and money is short. I always have more in my garden than I can use, but I refuse to pick it, can it and then give it away. If people want it they just have to come get it.
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  2:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Shirley, All it takes is a little effort. I am 30 and the baby of 4. No one at all in my family cans or even really cooks meals for that matter. Everyone always tries to get me to pick their name in our Christmas name drwa so I give them a basket of goodies! That is my gift at the holidays, it is easy and accessible and CHEAP! But I will not just give my stuff away either. The only people I will give some of my stuff to is my grandma or my in-laws, but my grandma is too old to can anymore and my in-laws let us run the farm rent free, plus they mow our grass for us at the farmhouse, so I don't mind.

HAPPY CANNING ALL!!!

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Instead of telling God how big your problem is....tell your problem how big God is.
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  2:28:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure I agree that giving home canned food is "cheap." There's the expense of getting all your supplies to get started and then each year there are lids to buy. Here, as I'm sure everywhere, the prices on lids, vinegar, sugar and spices has almost doubled for some things this year. And, don't forget your time........a lot of it, especially if you grow your own fruits and vegetables. One can spend many hours in the garden and kitchen to get your final product. But, it's so worth it!

I've canned sweet relish, dill relish, pepper and onion relish, green beans, wax beans, Sassy pickles, Italian hot peppers, pepper rings, beets, strawberry jam, corn, zucchini chunks and shredded in the freezer. The tomatoes are just beginning to ripen.
Canning season is only beginning.............

Christine

Edited by - farm~maid on Aug 09 2009 2:30:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  3:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Been baking all day so almost too tired to remember what all I have canned. Entry day at our county fair is Tuesday so the rush is on. Ole Ron is in there right now cleaning garlic so I can can a (1) pint of pickled garlic. I have canned greenbeans, dill pickles, B & B pickles, pickled green tomatoes, and greenbeans. Canned yellow beans, salsa, chili sauce, spag sauce and jalapeno peppers. Put peaches, zucc, bell peppers, okra, onions and hot peppers in the freezer.

The fun part was teaching granddaughter how to can greenbeans and salsa. Had pickle making lessons with 2 grandsons. That's good except pickles are not on the top of my list if I was trying to save on the grocery bill or plain ole survival.

Tomatoes are comming on strong so as soon as we get the stuff out to the fair, we'll be into canning tomatoes and juice. Will make more salsa and Lord only knows what else.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1678 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1678 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  3:46:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm canning pears, have done jams,peach rasberry and need to do strawberry. Plan on making and canning a pearsauce.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  5:31:39 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing from all of you gals and what you are canning :) Our garden is off to a late start so I'm not harvesting yet. So far I've canned:

~Gooseberry jam
~Rhubarb Jam
~Raspberry Syrup
~Blackberry Syrup
~Rose Petal Jam
~Rose Petal Vinegar
~Raspberry Vinegar

Peaches will be ready here soon so I will be making Peach-Jalapeño Jam and probably plain Peach Jam. I am hoping to find some plums and pears too. I am also hoping for some Banana peppers so I can make Banana Pepper Mustard (I posted the recipe :))

Sometimes It can be just as expensive to can. What I do is glean. if I see fruit trees that look like no one harvest from them. I ask. I'm not shy. That's food on our table or gifts. We have gleaned Blackberries, Gooseberries, Chokecherries, Crabapples, Peaches, Apricots, Plums, Pears, Sour Cherries and Apples. Wild Currants should be ready soon. For that we will take a trip in the mountains with a picnic lunch :)

Laurie,

I have a wonderful recipe for Vanilla-Pear jelly if you would like :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 09 2009 5:35:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  8:56:01 PM  Show Profile
I just canned Apricots today. I am going to can Apricot Jam tomorrow. I think I ate half of my product already!

For information on SUMMER SNOW please visit www.amywarwick.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  06:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday must have been the day to conqure the pressure canner fears. I canned 40 pounds of fresh tuna. Told DH if I knew using the pressure canner was that easy I would have done it years ago! Canning season is in full swing here, so far I have canned-

applesauce
blackberries
cherries
plum sauce
plum jam
cherry jam
blueberry sauce
raspberry vinegar
blackberry vinegar
strawberry lemonade concentrate
3-berry jam
strawberry topping
plum butter

There is so much more ahead to can I just can't wait. In fact I will be heading out to the garden to pick greenbeans and will be making dilly beans with them.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  07:29:36 AM  Show Profile
Did you catch the tuna yourself? We can brook trout once in awhile, but wild caught, home canned tuna? YUM!

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  07:35:16 AM  Show Profile
This is really great. I love hearing what everyone is doing. It gives me ideas on new things to do with my food. I agree with all of you - canning can be just as expensive as buying off the shelf, but the taste and satisfaction of having done it yourself is so-o-o rewarding. And, everytime I give it as gift it is genuinely received with joy. I would love to have some of your recipes. If you feel like sharing, please feel free to e-mail to me.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  07:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Not only does it taste great, but you have an idea of where it came from and control over how it was processed...all worth the cost in MY book!

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  08:14:06 AM  Show Profile
That is the main reason we can/freeze/dehydrate so much is because we know where it is coming from. Our whole goal is to be as self-sufficiant as possible within the next 3-5 years. We are tired of having to worry if what we are eating is going to be recalled.

No Kelly, we didn't catch our tuna. We went to the docks in Newport and bought it off the boat, but I know where it was caught! We will be canning some chickens in about a month or so and those will be from the property.

Shirly- I have the huge ball book of preserving (something like 500 pages) there are so many great ideas in that book, I highly reccomend it!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  10:38:55 AM  Show Profile
This weekend we did:

Tomatoes
Chili Sauce
Green Beans
Anaheim Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers

Tonight.....
Freezer Strawberry Jam
Marinara Sauce

Tomorrow.....
Salsa
Spaghetti Sauce

Sherone

http://tinytaylorranch.etsy.com
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  11:31:40 AM  Show Profile
I guess I am a lucky one, I didn;t have to buy any of my supplies. My mother in law is a packrat but it works out in my advantage. She gave me all my large pots for preparing, my canners and pressure cooker,She has given me all the jars I have used PLUS she still has a whole garage attic full of every size jar you couls imagine! And for easter, my basket this year was full of lids, spices and recipe books. She is good like that, she always buys ud useful stuff. The time put into it doesn't bather me a whole lot, we have a dairy of our own and we live in a farming community, both my husband and my families are farmers so we all share our products with each other too. If one has an abundance of something, we let the others know, it is a lot of fun and we are all looking out for each other:)
My FIL brought medown 2 bushel baskets full of tomatoes this afternoon, guess I will be doing spaghetti sauce tomorrow!!

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  5:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Love communities like that Angela...I think that's one of the reasons we're all into the farmgirl thing. I too was lucky in that I didn't have to buy the stuff...I use my Gramma's. Speaking of canning "stuff", are any of those jars in your MIL's garage a size 63? I've run across a dozen or so lids and rings for a size 63 jar. They're a little smaller than the standard size lid, so go to special jars. The lids are too old to seal for canning, but the lids and rings would work for dry goods in that size jar. Let me know if you're interested since I have no use for them.

Rae, I wish we were close enough to go to the docks for fresh fish! Doesn't get any fresher than that. You have a lot more variety too, probably than we do. We get trout, trout, or sometimes even trout! :)

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  5:34:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to be making peach jam in the next couple of days as soon as my peaches soften up a bit. They are a bit hard, but the aroma is wonderful. I probably should consider making some canned peaches also. My U-pick place will probably go on for another week or so. It is so much fun to go to the orchard. Today as I was picking peaches, a mother and her two children were right beside me when I spotted a nest with two eggs in it. Of course, they had to see and you should see the looks on their faces! What a sight to behold.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh what fun!! Our garden is always behind everyone elses but I have done raspberry jam so far, then I have beets and apricot preserves on the agenda this week. Next week I think the cornichons will be ready and probably the first go-round on the beans. Don't need pickled beets or zucchini relish as I went to town on those last canning season:D. Cinnamon peach butter will be next week or the week after - it is my "old-faithful" for christmas presents - I didn't have time to make it one year and boy did I hear about it.
I'm also planning the canning class I'm teaching.....
I had to laugh about the Christmas canning thing - my grandma was mad at me one year so while everyone else got handmade fisherman's knit sweaters I got 4 quarts of home canned green beans.
Happy canning!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's everyone canning? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page