campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Sherone-- how did you can your jalapenos?

Amy--care to share your recipe for Cinnamon peach butter?

I love seeing all my beautiful jars lined up in my pantry! It gives me a sense of accomplishment!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  7:28:50 PM  Show Profile
I would also like the cinnamon peach butter recipe. I'm curious to see how different it is from my plain peach butter recipe.

I love being self-sufficient and learning to do new things. I have not tried canning meats or fish, but would like to give it a try. I have canned cooked meats - when the electricity went off for a long period of time and everything started defrosting, we cooked and cooked and cooked. Then I canned what I could. I wasn't bad, but I don't want to go through that again.

I also have a box of 63 lids. I just consider them a collector item since I have never found jars to match. My jars have mostly come from farm auctions, yard sales, and of course, the Dollar Store. I once purchase 3 large barrels of jars at an auction for the price of $3. And, they were in pretty good shape and only a few mayonnaise jars in the lot. The only problem is, they never come with the rings.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  7:50:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I will be canning tomato relish (green tomatoes, green and red peppers, vinegar, onions and spices. We've been freezing a gazillion red raspberries. The first crop wasn't even done and the second is almost red already. I'll also be canning tomatoes, green beans,and freezing corn. What we didn't plant we can get at the farmers market or off the farm. You lucky people who make jam. I don't make that because my husband is diabetic and that kind of jam isn't that good. Good luck with the larder for the fruit cellar.

Bonnie Ellis #298

bonnieellis@comcast.net

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  2:56:52 PM  Show Profile
So far this year I have done:
Plum Jam
Raspberry Jam
Corn
Applesauce
Apple Pie Filling
Peach Pie Filling
Peaches

On my to do list:
Peach Jam
Green Beans
more Corn
Blackberry Pie Filling
Tuna (probably tomorrow)
Pears
Canning is inexpensive for me. I use very little sugar in my jams (by using the Pomona Pectin) and have all of my canning supplies. The only thing I need to buy every year is new lids. I did end up buying a few new pint jars this year since the half pint ones just don't cut it, while canning tuna, for my growing family anymore.
I plan on giving home canned foods this year for Christmas. Honestly, with how many plums and raspberries we had this year and how much jam I made, we'd never be able to eat it all before next canning season!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  4:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,
Yes you can can Pumpkin. When I have a bumper crop I can some for recipes later and I always make spiced pumpkin butter. It's YUMMY!

Heather

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  6:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Lilian can you share the recipe for the strawberry lemonade concentrate? It sounds great! Today I canned apple butter, my dd and ds filled the dehydrater with apple slices coated with jello. Tomorrow I will do dilly beans.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  8:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Erin - do you have the Ball Blue Book? The Cinnamon Peach Butter is just the variation on peach butter in that one. If you don't have it let me know and I will certainly share!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  03:35:47 AM  Show Profile
Cari~Do the apple slices with jello stay kinda sticky, or do they get pretty dry? I have just recently heard of this and thought I may try it this year when our apples get ready.

So far I have canned: Peach Jalapeno Jam, Peach Butter, Peach Salsa, Green Beans, Dilly Beans, and last night I made 11 pints of Tomato Salsa. I have frozen peaches, peach jam, strawberry jam, broccoli, tomatoes, and peppers.

This year I also discovered refrigerator pickles. WOW! I had seen recipes for them before, but if I had enough cucumbers I always just canned my pickles. No more! They are great, very dilly and crunchy! This year I have been getting just enough cukes to make a jar every day or two.

With the rest of my tomatoes I plan on making Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce, Tomato-Chile Salsa, Bruschetta in a Jar, Herbed Tomatoes, and Plain Sauce and Plain Tomatoes. Or, I may get lazy and just make sauce and throw a bunch of them in the freezer to make stuff with later.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:58:20 AM  Show Profile
Toni, I just ran across a recipe for bruschetta in a jar and want to try it. Have you tried it before? I would also like the recipe for refrigerator pickles since I'm only getting a few cukes at a time. It sounds like the perfect solution for me!

I canned sweet pepper glaze and pizza sauce last night. I think I'm done with the stuff I plan on entering in our Fair now...at least canning wise.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  07:29:00 AM  Show Profile
Cari- if you go to www.freshpreserving.com the recipe is there. We haven't cracked open a jar yet, we are saving it for this winter when we are missing strawberries. The recipe takes quite a few lemons. My in-laws brought us a bunch when they came for a visit from california. If you don't find the recipe let me know and I'll pos tit.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  07:32:59 AM  Show Profile
Kelly,

Would you be willing to share your Pizza Sauce recipe? I'm looking for a tried and true :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  07:51:03 AM  Show Profile
Kelly~I have not tried the Bruschetta in a Jar yet. The recipe I found was on the Ball website. Is that the one you found, too?

Here is the recipe I used for the pickles, from www.recipezaar.com

Refrigerator Pickles:

* 2 quarts water
* 1 quart vinegar
* 7/8 cup salt
* 1 teaspoon alum
* 4 quarts cucumbers (smaller are better)
* fresh onion, sliced
* dill weed, to taste
* garlic, to taste

Directions:
Boil water, vinegar, salt and alum for 2 minutes and cool.
Clean and pack cucumbers with onion, dill and garlic.
Pour juice over all and refrigerate at least one month before eating
This recipe will make 3 quarts of liquid. Left over liquid can be stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to can more.

I did not use the alum, and usually put one clove of garlic, one head of dill and a bit of dill weed into each jar. It also says to wait a month before you eat them, but I know we opened a jar after less than two weeks and they were great. I made a jar with some zucchini and yellow squash but haven't opened it yet to see how they held up.

I would love to know your Pizza Sauce recipe, too. I need to add that to my list of things to put up!
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  1:25:08 PM  Show Profile
I've canned
apricot habanero jam
apricot jam
apricots (we have two trees....)
cherry preserves (gleaned)
blueberry pie preserves (storebought)
dilly beans with garlic (from the garden)
tomatoes
strawberry jam
beets
and tomorrow I'll be canning pickles!

Every year I think I'm all set on jars, but then end up buying several boxes more! I guess that's just because I'm canning more every year. I did win 3 blue ribbons at the county fair this month, for my apricot habanero jam, blueberry pie preserves, and cherry preserves. I like knowing where my food came from, how safe it is, and having shelves full of jars waiting to be eaten. I gave a jar of the apricot habanero to a friend, and he called yesterday asking if he could buy any more jars that I have! I had to tell him it's all spoken for, my family likes it too well to share!

Cherian in Durango
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  4:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals, I posted the pizza sauce recipe on a new thread...Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  5:24:06 PM  Show Profile
OK, I canned some of the Bruschetta in a Jar from the Ball website this morning and all I can say is...don't waste your time and precious tomatoes on that mess of a recipe!!! Yuck, yuck, yuck and yuck! Not to mention that the quantities, directions, and yield just don't jive.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  5:31:04 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh, thanks for the heads up! I have it on my list of things to try. Maybe not now.

Go to Top of Page

quiltergirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Shirley
Ellington MO
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  6:36:56 PM  Show Profile
"So good to see that so many are canning, I moved to the country 10 years ago, so I would "fit in". imagine my surprise to find out hardly anyone cans around our neck of the woods! I've been doing this for 30+ years, started by necessity (single mom, 2 kids) but kept it up because it tastes so good and is so satisfying. I have been blessed with a gardening husband and we now have a nice orchard, so summer is busy. We have canned spinach, tomatoes, green beans, peaches, chicken broth, peach juice, blackberries, mixed vegetables for soups, spaghetti sauce, salsa, peas n' potatoes, potatoes n' beans, potatoes, corn, relish, and the pears are almost ready and the apples.....busy, busy...God Bless you all!
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  7:17:16 PM  Show Profile
I is great to hear what you are all doing. Yesterday I canned polish dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, sweet mixed vegetables and spicy dill mixed vegetables. About the only thing I have coming in right now are the cucumbers. I have tomatoes on the vine but they are not red yet. We planted late due to weather, broke down tractor, etc. and I'm getting very poor quantities of produce. I'm sure the late planting is the cause.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  7:19:15 PM  Show Profile
Lillian - I just found a 500 pg Ball book and am delighted with it. I will probably spend the entire evening reading through it. Thanks for letting me know about it.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  7:51:06 PM  Show Profile
what fun. So far this year, I've frozen blueberries, rhaspberries, rhubarb, cherries. and strawberries
I've canned
cherry olives (First time)
cherry pie mix
corn relish
bread and butter pickles
chicken
chicken broth
soup - 3 kinds
rhubarb spread
Corn

peaches and apples are just coming in and my tomatoes may just get eaten, first year in this garden so not many. I'll end up buying a case of beans at the farmer's market too. Hope to find enough tomatoes for pizza sauce and salsa

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

keyboo
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Lucy
Cambridge Springs Pa.
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  8:05:30 PM  Show Profile
I have canned, bread & butter pickles, red rasp. jelly, black rasp. jelly,red currant jelly, dark sweet cherries, and tiny potatos! I am going to get started with sauercrat! FUN,FUN!!!!

Lucy
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  02:51:39 AM  Show Profile
On our shelf so far this year we have......
Dill Relish
Sweet Relish
Pepper and Onion Relish
Hot Pepper Rings
Italian Hot Peppers
Strawberry Jam
Pepper Jam
Pickled Beets
Green Beans
Wax Beans
Thick Salsa
In the freezer......
Corn
Zucchini Chunks
Zucchini Shredded
Blueberries

I tried saurkraut for the first time. It molded. I will dump it today. I'm not sure if I'll give it another try as I dislike wasting the cabbage.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  06:40:19 AM  Show Profile
I canned small new potatoes this year for the first time. I left the skins on. I also canned string beans, and now tomatoes.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  06:44:31 AM  Show Profile
I just picked a bushel of cucumbers and need to starting with green beans today. Does ANYONE have a use for cucumbers that does not make a pickle. We can only eat so many and give so many as gifts. I just don't know what to do with the rest and I only planted 4 hills this year.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:01:12 AM  Show Profile
So far I've done these things:
dried sweet cherries
cherry jelly--and DH has already eaten half if it
frozen strawberries

This weekend, starting today will be:
Green beans
Pickled beans
Dill pickles
more strawberries or strawberry jam
frozen corn--the first planting is ready

Our garden went in late also and it was so cold earlier in the summer that things are a little slower this year.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page