Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 My kids are out of control!! Help!!??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic My kids are out of control!! Help!!?? Next Topic  

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:06:43 AM  Show Profile
My kids have been nuts every since we found out about this new baby. I haven't been doing anything different with them than I have always done, except that I am not physically lifting them out of the being bad situation. It's driving me insane. They are climbing in closet, on countertops, pulling things out of places they belong. (Like dvds, dishes, clothes, etc.
It's insanity! No matter how much I punish them (to bed early, stand in the corner, take things away) it doesn't matter. They either totally ignore me or they find something else just as bad to do!
I am constantly tired, and constantly on my feet. This has to stop! I can't stand it anymore.
When I tell Hubby about it, he asks "Well, what do you want me to do about it?!" Um..hello...if I knew, they wouldn't be acting this way!!
I am with them 24/7 so there isn't a time when there is a break. My mom takes Tori once in a while, but Tori doesn't get to go over there very often, because when she comes home she treats me worse than she did before she left.

Our whole house is out of control and I am the only one here who seems to care. Hubby just yells at them constantly. (obviously, after the third time you've hollered and they do it anyway that does NOT work--Dont yell!)

IDK...its crazy!! Ahhh!!! :P

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I wish I knew a magic trick that would help you out Jessie. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:21:27 AM  Show Profile
Jessie,
I have found with my own children as well as my grandchildren, that they need ALOT of physical activity. Especially in the summer months. As the summer vacation draws to a close, they rastle each other, aggrivate each other, on and on. That is when they need a project, or to go swimming or something. Soccer has worked well and softball, they get very tired. I dont know how old your children are, it sounds like they are very young. But this still works, it sounds as if they may be bored. Take them to a park and wear them out on the playground equipment, put them in a wading pool, and watch them play hard in the water. Water is great for wearing children out. Your husband probably has no clue, as do most husbands. Do yourself a favor, find physical activity for them. It works.
Best to you,
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile
thanks girls. i always feel like whatever they are doing swimming, playing, etc. that i have to jump right in there and do it with them, but sheesh Im pooped right out and just can't do it. I was wondering if maybe this was their problem.
Tori asked me what we were going to do today. I asked her what she meant and she said she was tired of being in the house. I figured she had just heard me telling CR that. (Our truck hasn't been working and money tight, so I haven't been out unless CR is home for weeks now.)

I have to grab Hubby tomorrow and get him to clean out the kids pool. Weve been having trouble with mustard algae and its been taking over--YUCKO!!
Thanks for the prayers and insight
hug

Jessie

Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  11:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jessie, I can totally relate!! Both of my kids (2 and 1) have been insane the past week- I don't know what's going on!! I don't know if it has to do with the baby but it's something! Just know that there are other expectant mom's going through the same things as you right now. :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  12:00:19 PM  Show Profile
ooh heather-- i hear ya! Mine are 2 & 3 right now. I know last night was a full moon and as silly as it sounds, my kids being bad always seems to relate to that, but holy moley!! these two have been going at it since May.
glad to know, but sorry to hear other mamas are going through this. We need a support group...hehe :D
HUGS!!

Jessie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  4:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jessie- You could take them outside and have them play a game of bean bag tag. Have them run around and if they get hit with the bean bag- they are it an they have to go try to hit the other one. Play Mother May I, freeze tag, jump roap (even if you have to braid some yarn to make a rope), Have them give their bikes and toys a bath and call it the Car Wash, Play hot potato with the aforementioned bean bag, if you have some of those plastic easter eggs, do an "Easter in August" easter egg hunt with maybe pennies in the eggs.

Basically keep them outside and running around like mad.

Here are some links to discipline help. Doug and I are working on this right now too.
http://life.familyeducation.com/behavioral-problems/discipline/41771.html
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/6/t060500.asp

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  5:54:42 PM  Show Profile
have you ever watched the SuperNanny show on abc? she has lots of great advice.They used to have episodes of the show that you could watch on your computer over at abc.com

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

whymsicalmysfit
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

jaime
malden washington
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  10:16:44 PM  Show Profile
.. Jesse . I will tell you what works for me I went to a second hand store and bought a tiny chair...painted flames on it and we call it the "hot seat" if the kids need a time out they go to the hot seat and I set the oven timer. when the timer goes off I ask them why they are there and if its not the reason they stay in for 5 more minutes.. I noticed that sometimes kids just need reeled in by quiet time alone to settle thier minds and re focus... yeah activities are good but you have to follow through with the same punishment each & every time.. maybe try a thinking spot or a feelings sketch book I Think its more about grounding yourself .. if you have a TV turn it off I understand its hard but it will get better if you stay consitant with the punishment, get to the root of the behavior.. maybe if you gave them a special job to get ready for the new baby.. & let them know that the baby can hear them in there and they need to teach them nice happy things about the world.. hope this helps from one mama to the other...hugs p.s another homegrown tip catnip tea with honey maybe some sleepy time tea my kids love that it makes them melloooow!!

"May all your weeds be wildflowers"
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  3:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Jessie God love you, have two that are only 2 and 3 and are having another one! I am in total awe. I can't even imagine having 3 so close. You must be some kind of awesome person. The girls have given you some good advice. Maybe your hubby could watch the little ones for a few hours and you could go visit someone or do wahtever you want just for you. That might help be a really good thing for you. Sometimes just having some adult company and conversation is so nice, I sure remember that. not that it happened too often!! Just an idea.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  4:48:45 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that maybe it isn't that they are acting worse than before but rather that you aren't able to handle them as well with feeling sick and tired with the pregnancy and they can sense that and are taking advantage of that. I know my children are like that. I say, set up a lawn chair outside and give the kids freedom to run or play in the pool or dig in the dirt while you just sit and watch them. When it is rainy outside let them play in the tub with toys, or set a tray of cornmeal on the kitchen floor and let them run their matchbox cars through it or small farm toys. Little things like that can keep them out of trouble.
I think one evening a week you need to tell CR to watch the kids and just go run some errands or go to the library by yourself. Even an hour away can refresh you and daddy needs to care for his kids alone sometimes! Hugs! I have been in your shoes before!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  5:59:29 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth--How do you keep your kids under wraps outside. We have a dog that lives outback and I really wish we didn't. He isn't mean,well at least not to the children, but he has bitten before. I can't seem to relax no matter where I have the children. If they are outside. I am afraid they are swinging too high on the swings, or they are too close to the dog or a bazillion other things that make me want to drag them back in after just a few minutes.
Its the same with taking them out anywhere. Though I did venture to take them for milkshakes last week and then we went out for ice cream another day. I was proud of myself for loading them up, and actually taking them in a public place by myself. It rarely happens anymore for fear they are going to be crazy and I won't be able to keep them under control.
I am probably just freaking out entirely too much. I'm so worried something is going to happen to them and I'll be the only one here or something will happen while CR is watching them and I am out somewhere.

ECK!! Can you tell I am a worry wart..LOL
So, part of it is self induced stress, part the full moon, and part toddler energy ready to burn :D

hugs

Jessie

Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  11:51:17 AM  Show Profile
It's been two weeks since your last post here, any changes? Just wondering. I have three close together. all boys, age 4 1/2, 6 and 7, but at one time they were all toddlers, all in diapers and all over the place. Just wondering if I could offer any advice.

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  07:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, I can say for me, I just try not to worry. lol I had to let it go and give up perfection.

Also I could not believe the change in my 3 year old (then 2) when I don't turn the tv on at all. Now she has never watched anything violent, or bad. Mainly educational shows like Sesame street. But, I think it must be something that the TV lights or something does to her brain. Because when the tv is not on all day at all, she is so much better behaved!

You for sure need to find a safe place to play outside.

My daughter is soooooo much easier to handle when we are at my parents, they have a huge wildlife preserve she can play all day outside. Here we live in a small apartment in NYC. And she can't play safely outside even with me right there! So I can't wait to move. Our plan is to get a home in the midwest, and the first plan of action play yard outside! She was so excited looking at houses with me online, she told me I get a playground in my yard????? She couldn't believe it. (she seen pics of homes with swing sets in the back yards). She is so excited about getting a swing set! lol I can't wait, to have my own yard, I can set out in my pj's and my children can just play in safety. I can tell you right now, I think it will make all the difference between sanity and insanity. So if I was you, my first priority would be to make a SAFE place in your yard for the kids to play and you to relax.

I know animals can be part of the family, and I hate to say this.....but getting rid of a dog/animal that I think would hurt my children would be number 1 priority. I am SURE, if you put a ad in penny saver, for FREE (you can place free ads in there if you are giving the animal for free) you would find some one, or even on Craig's list. Some one with out children, but who would love him.

Literally I would do what I had to, to get sanity and have my children safe. We are moving half way across the USA to get exactly that.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  07:49:35 AM  Show Profile
The kids are having their up days and down days. This passed week it has been hang from the window fixtures, and rip down the mini blinds kind of week. I am thinking that the small space is just too small for them to burn out what they need to. I had them outside this passed week and they took off on me and I had a terrible time getting them back inside. Though there is a lot of land, we are close to a busy road and so now, they have to wait to go outside until later in the day when Hubby comes home.
The best thing that can happen is that I have this baby early so I can get my energy back and keep up. It's just too much!
I am going to look into a church daycare or preschool to send Tori to for a little while. She needs interaction with other children her age and hopefully it will put her mind in a more occupied state. Both of the children have gotten more physical and I need to come up with ways to keep them contained, but also allow them to burn it off.

hugs

Jessie

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  08:21:34 AM  Show Profile
My local library has free play groups too! They place music and dance, etc. And you can leave them there by themselves! They have three "teachers" running it. You can't really leave the library, but you can leave the play room, even that hour a week helps me a lot, since she gets to play with others.

I would start looking on free cycle (asking) and craig's list about a free fence. And Fence in a play area for the kids, so you don't have to worry about the running off part.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Some times they get into trouble just for attention. Plus they are young my 2 sons were just a year + 2 weeks apart. When they are being good let them know it. I like the hot seat but not any longer than 5 minutes, plus the first few times you have to actually sit with them before they understand why they are being made to sit.
Trust me age 7 to 12 are the best years. Then it gets tough again until they are about 26 years or older. Enjoy them everyday you never know and don't worry so much it only makes you sick and your hair turns grey.
I also didn't like my little guys going so high on a swing, but they loved it and I learned to trust my sons never to go higher than they can handle. One is a lawyer the other an IT administrator. They knew what they were doing.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic My kids are out of control!! Help!!?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page