Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  9:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Check out my blog, farmgirls...I got a beautiful surprise gift that I'm SUPER excited about! :D :D :D

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  9:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
thats so cool Jodi!!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  04:42:48 AM  Show Profile
That is so neat. I love it. Are you getting a cow soon? You need a cow so you can keep that churn going.

I love your blog. And that field of lavender is amazing! Somewhere on here I saw a recipe for lavender lemonade. I then forgot where I saw it but remembered what was in it so I made it and it's SO good!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  05:32:26 AM  Show Profile
I love it Jodi! What a blessing :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  06:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Jodi!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful MIL you have! Isn't butter making fun? My first attempt came out so great and I was amazed at how easy it is to make butter. I love your blog!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  8:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, y'all! I OH SO wish I could get a cow now, but with renting, it's not a possibility. Down the road, however... I'd love to get a mini-Jersey..they are so very beautiful! :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

jdbivins
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Janice
Elmore City ok
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  06:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Send jdbivins a Yahoo! Message
So, are you using fresh Heavy cream or store bought. That is probably a dumb questions but just curious. I love real butter and made it at a neighbors when I was a kid about 36 years ago. The neighbor has since passed away and I don't know if anyone else has a milk cow around. I guess I could put an ad in the newspaper.
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for your post! You answered a nagging question for my family and myself. We were cleaning out my fathers house and came across a hinged wooden 4 sided box and couldn't figure out what it was. There it was in your blog, a butter mold! Thank you for providing the answer!
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  6:35:30 PM  Show Profile
A typical city raised woman comment out of me: WOW! Is that how they used to make cubes of butter?????? I wondered about that. Fantastic surprise-I remember I used to make butter as a child by shaking cream in a peanut butter jar-mom would drain the milk off with a cheesecloth or something like that-but we never drank the buttermilk...(I don't know why!) Congrats...that is one cool gizmo!

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
@MandolinChick on Twitter
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  2:12:50 PM  Show Profile
jodi....You made me want to make BUTTER!!! I have several butter churns but have never "used" any of them. Maybe now is the time! We use a french butter dish (the kind that you tip upside down in water) I think I could just put it in there and not have to worry about a mold. Just how long did it take you to make it with your new (old) churn??

PS.....I really enjoyed your blog!!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

anniecat
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Michigan
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  3:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Too cool! My mom gave her's to a family friend, but I've thought about asking for it back if I ever move back up north. Her's was twice the size, from what I remember...but then again, we always had one dairy cow, along with our hogs & beef cattle. I'm in my late 30's, but still can't stand store bought milk because I grew up with raw milk. And when the milk cow gives you too much milk, guess what you get for breakfast?- pudding! Those were the days...
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  1:26:53 PM  Show Profile
It IS a fun little project! :) It took me about 30 minutes in the churn, I think... So it's nice to have somebody to help so your arms don't turn into mush!! I just used store-bought heavy whipping cream..... I like to buy organic...the flavor is SO amazing! It doesn't taste like store-bought butter to me...has a much richer flavor. :)

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  3:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Jodi: if you use your churn for a pint of heavy cream you can make 3 of the most delicious butter cakes ever. I used to churn by hand with a large wooden churn and then make the cakes, but this recipe uses both the butter and the buttermilk.

here's the recipe: "glad times" butter cake

2/3c soft butter
1 3/4c, sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. sifted cake flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt1 1/4 c. milk (from buttermaking)

Bonnie Ellis, MN.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  6:45:41 PM  Show Profile
This is an amendment to the butter cake recipe: You can make it your mixer, by hand or with your food processor.
In your mixer,cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Alternate adding milk and dry ingredients. Grease and flour 3 8" pans. Divide the batter between the three. Bake at 350 degrees 30-35 minutes.
When cool, top with fresh whipped cream and fresh berries. Yum

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  7:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Jodi, One more question....you mentioned that you rinsed the butter, did you just run water into the jar or what? Please explain it to me OK?
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  12:10:00 PM  Show Profile
I just put the butter in a colander and rinsed it until the water ran clear. I'm not sure if this is the best way to rinse it, but so far it's worked for me. :)

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dazey Churn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page