Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  9:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rene- yes, Nora has already taken a toll on some of my pretties, but I am trying to find a balance between locking them away and them getting broken. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  9:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
WOW Alee~ I remember those days....hard to find the balance for sure.

Rene'Groom
A.K.A ProsserFarmGirl
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  11:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Rene!!! It is lovely! Wow, I wouldn't have thought that could make such a difference! I just love it. I'm thinking like the other ladies, though, because I know my kids shenanigans would break that lovely teapot...that stuff stays in my room where it is safe but I'm the only one who gets to see it :(

I love the look, though. Maybe a shelf in a nook somewhere...hmmmm. Okay, gotta find a spot to spiffy up like that!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  06:33:23 AM  Show Profile
Your shelves look great Rene! Thanks for starting this thread :)

Ahhh, nesting. I have felt such an urgency to purge and am finally doing it. I just want to simplify.

~A friend gave my husband about four boxes of books. Well, they had been sitting in the office/spare bedroom (which is small) up until 2 weeks ago. My husband works hard and hasn't had the time to go through them, so I did. I condensed it to 1 box which he is keeping, now to make room for that :)

~I have been going through things and either donating them to the Thrift or people I know would like these items or bartering for more useful items for us.

~I love going to Thrift stores but am keeping away from them unless I am looking for something in particular. I tend to pick up things that are cute (not necessarily my style) because they are killer deals. So needless to say, I will be posting those items up for barter soon :)

~Magazines and books. Bartering most of my books. I usually go through my magazines and just tear out things that I want to save like recipes, etc. Well, I have these stacks of magazine pages lying around and cannot even remember why I saved them, so without looking through them I pitched them. I figured if I cannot remember why I saved them then they must not be important :)

~I am finally getting things organized :) I have created a Red Preparedness Binder with emergency numbers and family information if anything happens to Michael or myself along with insurance info, wills, etc. I chose red so it would be easy to find and also had red house keys made that our friends have to use just in case they need to check out the house and so they can find the binder easily). Along with that are letters to each family member (a final letter).

Now I am gearing up for Fall and Winter and making sure we are stocked up on food for the freezer, firewood, cold care items, toiletries, etc.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  06:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sharon~
I think that must be it.. Kinda getting ready for winter.... makes me wonder if I am thinking it will be a "bad one" with all the nesting I have going on..:)

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rene- I think it will be. My dog and horse both started shedding their summer coats about 2 weeks ago (just went I thought the fur had finally stopped flying in the first place!). The old timers around here say that starting to shed out a month early is a sign that winter is coming faster and harder than we want to believe! Yipes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee~ We dont usually get harsh winters~ But I could use one. My little sister lives up in Cheney they were hit hard the last couple of years.. us.... not so much!

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  1:51:18 PM  Show Profile
The past couple of winters have been VERY hard for us over 100 inches of snow each year- I am trying to can and freeze and put away as much as possible- because I'm sure it will be another rough winter!!
xoxo-Lori

Thank GOD I'm a Country Girl!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  2:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Love the shelves. I never would have thought of covering my books. But I did it in high school and loved putting artwork on the white paper. Anyway, I hold "nesting instincts" very high on my respect meter. Wanting to make your home lovely and artful and clean and comfortable is an art in itself, and it is fun to see how people "love on" their surroundings. It makes such a big difference in daily life, don't you think?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  3:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jeannie! I love that; "love on" such a great way to express it.

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  3:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my word! Where did all this stuff come from! How did my house get so cluttered! I'm only 26! Can I really have accumulated all this STUFF?! I feel like I have a dust bunny breeding plantation in my house! Luckily it's time to "Thin the herd!"

Today is cleaning day. I am going through my clothes and honestly getting rid of the stuff that I just can't wear and it will be better to just find a replacement for when I get back down to that size, or I won't ever be that size (too big) so why have it, etc etc.

Usually I start cleaning/organizing in the living room, but that got done not too long ago so today I started in the bedroom. It's almost done! I got the mess in the closet picked up, clean clothes are going directly into their appropriate dresser/cupboard/closet Now I am getting under the bed and in the corners. It's amazing how much better this room feels already! Then I am going to make the bed with fresh sheets!

Again- where did all this clutter come from!?! Guess the thrift shop is going to be getting a couple bags from my house!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  5:16:40 PM  Show Profile
"Love on" is a southern expression.....folks love on their grandkids, and give them lots of sugar (meaninhg hugs and kisses, not candy)....

I love "lovin' on" my home and family!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  6:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jeannie- I love that expression. I have used it for a couple years but I never knew where I picked it up before. I must have read it in a book or something that was based in the South. :D

Well our bedroom is looking great! Now I just need to get the bed re-made and then into the kitchen...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  6:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jeannie~ I am adopting it into MY vocabulary. I think it just says it all...

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  12:51:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the postings... this is great and i have really enjoyed reading them this afternoon.

I am eternal nester, always have things i am doing for or to my house and family that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I to am a flylady fan, and she has a term "house blessing"... thats what she calls house cleaning. it just turns it all around and makes it positive when you think you are blessing your house... so i have adopted that term and use it for everything now... i am blessing my hubby when i bake him fresh bread or wash his shorts or refill his water bottle, i am blessing my pugs by cleaning their bowls and giving them a treat, i am blessing our house by putting on new sheets or hanging an old picture on the wall.

nesting and blessings go hand in hand for me...

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  6:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well my nesting instinct sure has gotten a work out these past few days! My bedroom is clean, all the laundry in the house is done and I am working on the living room and Nora's bedroom now. The kitchen is even clean and it is after dinner time! As soon as it is clean and I have cleared out some of this clutter I am going to start re-arranging and decorating! I am very excited to try and achieve a more open and less cluttered feel to the house!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  01:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Rene - I love the looks of those books covered in paper. Could you use freezer paper? I always have that on hand because of soapmaking. Just the thought of a cream and white color scheme makes me want to drool! Please post more pictures when you can. I haven't organized the house yet but I got the inside of my car cleaned and organized today. That made me feel better. School is done for me next Wednesday and after that I'm tearing into this house.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  10:27:12 AM  Show Profile
Rene and all: I think we are all nesters for whatever reason. But don't begrudge the footballs and messes your kids make. They grow up to fast and then your nest is left empty! I do miss my boys. They both moved away from Minnesota. One to Wisconsin and the other to Austin, TX. I love those states too but I miss family.
As for the "stuff", some of us have more than others. I guess I have always been a pack rat. "I might use it someday" Ho, Ho.
Also we accumulate more "stuff" with each hobby or interest. It can get to be a lot. Then we get sentimental. I don't want to throw out anything of historic value from the past. Does anyone agree.
Hopelessly a protector of the "stuff" archives, Bonnie Ellis Minnesota

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  11:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Kay~ I will post more pictures. It is fun~
Also YES Freezer paper would work, Also I have seen it with Brown paper bags and also with WAX paper.. all cute. Matter of fact, I am going to do the brown paper bag in one of the rooms with a cream colored pen for the writing~ Have a couple of the books done so I will post those when I have the look complete.

Yes Bonnie~ It does go by so fast. I have to admit some of the tea pots with the nicks in them from the boys rough housing are often times my favorites as it helps remind me how "full" the house use to be. R

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  1:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I try to not begrudge the messes. And to be honest, Nora does get away with a fair amount of mess before something just HAS to be done to fix it! LOL

The house is looking better today. There are a few things I need to pick up at the store though. I need an outdoor welcome mat to catch more dirt before it enters the house and a lampshade for my brass lamp. But over all the hosue is liveable. Now for some re-arranging!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  3:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Here are the three pillows that I "found" on my trip to Snohomish....

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  3:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I also picked up this vintage laundry cart

I will be converting the floral print lining to a cream and white pin striped material soon...

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  8:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The first two remind me of paper cut-out snow flakes!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  07:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee~ I thought the same thing... or doilies :) Love them!

Rene'Groom
Sister #185

Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  07:36:30 AM  Show Profile
This is so inspiring. My children go back to school on Thursday and I am really in the mood to de-clutter. I tried to find the photos of the covered books, please lead me in the right direction. In the meantime, I really enjoyed all the different blogs.
We live in a one room cabin with our 6 children and I can use all the tips I can get. Bring them on, please.

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Nesting Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page