txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  10:43:33 AM  Show Profile
My hubby is going to build me a greenhouse so I can start using it in late September. Since this is my first, it is going to be a "lean to" type, about 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep and up against our garage/office so it has one insulated/heated winter wall. It will be on a southern wall so it will get lots of sun, and we'll have the vents and all so it doesn't get too hot, etc.

My plan is to start some nice veggies for winter. I am thinking some lettuces and greens, some beets, tomatoes, green onions, winter squash. I will also have some herbs as I will move my small rosemary and some basil in there, and will have some marigolds to help with pest control.

Do you have any favorite winter green house veggies that you would recommend? Or a favorite seed source?

I used to be an avid gardener, but since our move in 2005 have done little to none as we have been in a constant remodel and haven't had much time to devote to gardening anything... this winter is the first respite from constant construction so I am getting excited about this prospect.

We live in east Texas, so are blessed with a winter that will bring us a week of 30-40 degree days followed by a couple of days in the 60-70, followed by two nights of freezing, etc.... but snow is only a passing notion for a day or two each year... so mild enough to piddle around a yard and greenhouse daily but not warm enough to have an open garden.

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic my first greenhouse - ideas?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page